GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Frustration and Pleasure of being Online!?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/03/08 at 12:15
Regular
"THFC"
Picture the scene - Henry is running through for Barcelona, you get one on one, shoot, and its going in. I am going to be 2-0 up against someone with an impressive 40 consectutive wins!!
Then the ball appears at the edge of the 18 yard box with his defender?? Swearing in frustration as he has burst through and scored to level. But i love Pro Evo so i carry on with the match and he shoots, my keeper saves, but the ball appears in the net?? Now i am really mad, especially when it was the 87th minute and the whistle then blows!

I don't mind loosing if someone is better than me, but the glitches and lag that come with playing some games online just cause too much frustration. While he has been lucky and now got 41 consectutive wins, I am stuck with 0 and a 2-1 defeat.

With this done i quit Pro Evo in disgust and load Call of Duty 4.
Despite the fact i have played this to death i am still taken back by the graphics and love hearing "30,000 people used to live here"
Load the Online multiplayer and within seconds i am in a Hardcore Team Deathmatch. Happily in the grass being a Sniper, taking out day-dreaming people with those satisfying head shots.

Then i get picked off by another sniper (frustrating as i was on 6 kills, but i don't mind because i know i am going to get him back!) A few hours later i think - D'oh just lost another evening to playing Online gaming (but i am secretly happy that i managed to level up 3 times and am nearing the third time of Prestiege Mode)

Then as i am in bed i mull over the fact that some games have nailed Online play:- Call of Duty, Battlefield, Star Wars Galaxies etc etc
Then other games where they hold the promise that updates are being made and improvements will come, just never make it. Like Pro Evo. I love the game and just wish i could have a smooth, lag/glitch free game against someone. As if they were sitting next to me, the way an Online game should play. While i appreciate my connection will go sometimes, and other people may have a bad connection. I am yet to complete some games online without thinking " i know it's going to be bad, just stop playing it!"

I am sure i am not the first and i will deffinitley not be the last to feel the Frustration of Online gaming and feeling the wrath of glitches, lag and bad connections. But then spending an hour on a successful game like Call of Duty 4, where you can play with friends, or strangers and have no problems for hours on end. makes it all worthwhile.

I would have no doubt in my mind that Online gaming is the "in" thing, and most developers are looking at adapting it into their games. Be it just a leaderboard, but everyone is getting the online fever. You can have the smartest computer in the world, but playing someone in America while i am in Sunny Suffolk - it will never be the same game twice. Newbies have a different play style to the experienced pros. The feeling of actually beating another human you have never met and never will has some strange satisfaction to it!

While i finish this hoping many of you never experience the frustration and bad aspects of Online play,i fret that you will have to come across these to in the long term endure the love for it that most of us have now got!
Wed 12/03/08 at 12:41
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
We have a 8MB Broadband package, but to be honest it's UP TO 8MB Broadband. Uusually looking at 1.5MB when online.

Even so, still you get lag (mainly from other users)
Wed 12/03/08 at 12:00
Regular
"THFC"
Yea thats useful to know, i wasnt sure if me using wireless was affecting. My broadband is fairly low as im atthe end of a pipe exchange, its like 1.5 - i wish i had 8 - downloading would be so much faster!! lol
Wed 12/03/08 at 10:32
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Emmie87 wrote:
> I am on wireless - does anyone find ethernet cables provide a
> stronger connection?? I much prefer using wireless, i know some
> of ym friends have it connected via cable but want to get a
> router

I'm using wireless through a wireless router. Its not bad really, my room in right on the outskirts of the wireless router's range (VERY LOW SIGNAL) and it's fine. Usually has the best connection to the net as well. The only thing is, it can drop every so often if inactive, but I don't know if thats my 360/360 adapter.

Ethernet cables are good as you know for certain that the connection is active (providing no-one trips over/removes the cable from the port).

Hope that helps Emmie
Tue 11/03/08 at 22:56
Regular
"THFC"
lol - dont know about longest thread!

Yeah a slight downfall in Call of Duty 4 is the way games are hosted. It is not so bad now as there are less people so you get a game very quickly, but sometimes you wait 5 mins for a game, get in your team, set your kit up - 4,3,2,1 - Host Ended Game. I have sweared a few times due to that lol

If any of you have played battlefield 2 on the PC (then well done and its great) but i like the way you join games on there, you see the map, know the rules etc and it is never ended (or i have never seen it happen)
Tue 11/03/08 at 17:47
"The DEPRESSOR"
taht should be a longest thread attempt
Tue 11/03/08 at 15:17
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I wish i'd held off on buying PES2008 as if i'd known Konami STILL hadn't figured out how to actually do online multiplayer i wouldn't have bothered buying it in the first place, especially criminal given all the problems they had with PES 6, you'd have thought they'd learnt a thing or two.

COD4 is much better and for the whole runs quite smoothly however there still are those moments like last night where i fired 4 sniper shot dead on a target only for them not to register due to lag. Usually when some Japanese guy is in the room. I really wish they'd introduce continental servers, it'd help it alot more even if those bloody Spanish and French seem to be running on dial-up still and constantly keep leaving the game when their team is losing and of course they just happen to be the host.
Tue 11/03/08 at 13:12
Regular
"THFC"
I am on wireless - does anyone find ethernet cables provide a stronger connection?? I much prefer using wireless, i know some of ym friends have it connected via cable but want to get a router
Tue 11/03/08 at 13:04
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I used to get really annoyed with the lag on Team Fortress 2.

Have it very occasionally on COD4 but then I put it down to the fact 2 360's on one wireless connection would do it.

But I completely understand where you are coming from, lag destroys the pleasure instantly. I find it's really annoying when people all up and leave at the first hint of lag, causing the whole game to crash. Usually if people just stand still and wait for a few moments, the game catches up and no problem will be had - just the mass exodus at the first sign causes it to crash and take forever to find a new game/host.
Tue 11/03/08 at 13:03
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I've had good and bad. The PS2 online games are generally so badly designed that it's not worth playing them, that or there are not enough people playing them. My love of Socom lives on though and Everybody's Golf was fun when there were actually people to play against.
Tue 11/03/08 at 12:15
Regular
"THFC"
Picture the scene - Henry is running through for Barcelona, you get one on one, shoot, and its going in. I am going to be 2-0 up against someone with an impressive 40 consectutive wins!!
Then the ball appears at the edge of the 18 yard box with his defender?? Swearing in frustration as he has burst through and scored to level. But i love Pro Evo so i carry on with the match and he shoots, my keeper saves, but the ball appears in the net?? Now i am really mad, especially when it was the 87th minute and the whistle then blows!

I don't mind loosing if someone is better than me, but the glitches and lag that come with playing some games online just cause too much frustration. While he has been lucky and now got 41 consectutive wins, I am stuck with 0 and a 2-1 defeat.

With this done i quit Pro Evo in disgust and load Call of Duty 4.
Despite the fact i have played this to death i am still taken back by the graphics and love hearing "30,000 people used to live here"
Load the Online multiplayer and within seconds i am in a Hardcore Team Deathmatch. Happily in the grass being a Sniper, taking out day-dreaming people with those satisfying head shots.

Then i get picked off by another sniper (frustrating as i was on 6 kills, but i don't mind because i know i am going to get him back!) A few hours later i think - D'oh just lost another evening to playing Online gaming (but i am secretly happy that i managed to level up 3 times and am nearing the third time of Prestiege Mode)

Then as i am in bed i mull over the fact that some games have nailed Online play:- Call of Duty, Battlefield, Star Wars Galaxies etc etc
Then other games where they hold the promise that updates are being made and improvements will come, just never make it. Like Pro Evo. I love the game and just wish i could have a smooth, lag/glitch free game against someone. As if they were sitting next to me, the way an Online game should play. While i appreciate my connection will go sometimes, and other people may have a bad connection. I am yet to complete some games online without thinking " i know it's going to be bad, just stop playing it!"

I am sure i am not the first and i will deffinitley not be the last to feel the Frustration of Online gaming and feeling the wrath of glitches, lag and bad connections. But then spending an hour on a successful game like Call of Duty 4, where you can play with friends, or strangers and have no problems for hours on end. makes it all worthwhile.

I would have no doubt in my mind that Online gaming is the "in" thing, and most developers are looking at adapting it into their games. Be it just a leaderboard, but everyone is getting the online fever. You can have the smartest computer in the world, but playing someone in America while i am in Sunny Suffolk - it will never be the same game twice. Newbies have a different play style to the experienced pros. The feeling of actually beating another human you have never met and never will has some strange satisfaction to it!

While i finish this hoping many of you never experience the frustration and bad aspects of Online play,i fret that you will have to come across these to in the long term endure the love for it that most of us have now got!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.