GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Something i have noticed - and it MUST stop soon!!!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/05/02 at 20:33
Regular
I have looked carefully at the Gamecube line-up and I’ve noticed something rather worrying. Developers are beginning to treat the GC like an ARCADE MACHINE! There are several titles that are merely ports of years old arcade games, and Sega seems to be encouraging it. When I heard that Sega were going to develop for NGC, I expected games such as the Shenmue series, the Sonic games and Phantasy Star Online (yes, I know most of those are coming to GC!) but the launch games are mainly arcade ports.
In the first few months of its life, the Cube is already swamped by them. 18-Wheeler American Pro Trucker, Crazy Taxi, Super Monkey Ball, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, and Spyhunter are all arcade ports, or arcade style games. Now I have nothing against arcade games, but I believe that the majority of them should be in the arcade, especially the older ones.
The Cube is capable of providing developers with the chance to create 90-hour challenges that will keep gamers going for years on end, not 90-minute games that might as well be rented then destroyed! Admittedly, some of the arcade games are good, but there is only so much a gamer can take. Especially as the arcade obsession is now spreading to Nintendo. Think about it: shorter games, ‘Triforce’ arcade machines being developed. This madness must stop soon. What’ll come next? A coin slot for the mighty Cube?
Wed 29/05/02 at 11:01
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I wouldn't get to hung up on this yet.

These games you quoted are being released probably to up the number of titles available for the GC and also most of them are fun. Alot of console players - me included - like to have some of these types of games in our collection so that we can have the odd 10 - 20 minute burst of fun now and then - we cant always spend 2 or 3 hours at a time playing through the more involving games.

The good thing is that the GC architecture has been designed in such a way as to make these ports very easy for the developers which should help Nintendo keep a good quantity of good games coming out for us.
Tue 28/05/02 at 22:54
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Fair enough but arcade games are mostly good, if it's worth buying then I'll buy it, simple.

As for the memory cards Dr Duck I think they go in the back of the pads like on the N64.
;0)
Tue 28/05/02 at 22:05
Regular
Hercules! wrote:
> By the way, id love to see a little coin slot on the Cube, it would
> make it so much funnier......

I thought there was one.

Oh, by the way, does anyone know where the memory card goes?

: )
Tue 28/05/02 at 21:51
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Ummm. I'm not sure that what you said is absolutely true. The PS2 and the X-Box have about the same amount of arcade conversions.

Look at Tekken and Virtua fighter 4, then Crazy Taxi and the like. GameCube is catering for all the users of the console and I think that arcade type games are one of the ingredients. There are loads of non-arcadey games, like Rouge squadron and Luigi's, Wave Race and SSBM.
Tue 28/05/02 at 20:36
Regular
"Hmmm....."
If people like them then the makers will make them and give them to everyone who wants them.
Its not like you HAVE to buy these games.

By the way, id love to see a little coin slot on the Cube, it would make it so much funnier......
Tue 28/05/02 at 20:33
Regular
"Long Live Nintendo!"
I have looked carefully at the Gamecube line-up and I’ve noticed something rather worrying. Developers are beginning to treat the GC like an ARCADE MACHINE! There are several titles that are merely ports of years old arcade games, and Sega seems to be encouraging it. When I heard that Sega were going to develop for NGC, I expected games such as the Shenmue series, the Sonic games and Phantasy Star Online (yes, I know most of those are coming to GC!) but the launch games are mainly arcade ports.
In the first few months of its life, the Cube is already swamped by them. 18-Wheeler American Pro Trucker, Crazy Taxi, Super Monkey Ball, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, and Spyhunter are all arcade ports, or arcade style games. Now I have nothing against arcade games, but I believe that the majority of them should be in the arcade, especially the older ones.
The Cube is capable of providing developers with the chance to create 90-hour challenges that will keep gamers going for years on end, not 90-minute games that might as well be rented then destroyed! Admittedly, some of the arcade games are good, but there is only so much a gamer can take. Especially as the arcade obsession is now spreading to Nintendo. Think about it: shorter games, ‘Triforce’ arcade machines being developed. This madness must stop soon. What’ll come next? A coin slot for the mighty Cube?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.