GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Three consoles at war!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/05/02 at 23:50
Regular
Gah, we have all heard it and know about it. Still I would like to voice my opinions and see if people share/oppose my own! This is Nintendo, Sony and Micrsoft head to head at war in the console market. Now they are all out and have had time to be played on, I can voice my opinions fairly! Here goes:

In today’s fast paced market big companies have to plan ahead, attract customers and sell a worthy product. Three big companies have succeeded in this; Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony. They are all at the top of the market and are at competition with each other. The particular market I am looking at is the console market. In order to stay at the top of this market, the three companies will need to produce a console that will sell itself, a console that will entertain for hours and a console that is capable of the highest quality games. These consoles have been created and thrown into the market and are raking in some serious money. What are these consoles?

The Gamecube certainly is not Nintendo’s first time on the console market. They have been around for a long time. Releasing big consoles such as the NES, SNES, Gameboy and N64. This console is a little different though. It is very small and compact. It takes tiny 8cm disks. This is the first console to do so as others all took cartridges. It features high quality graphics and fantastic gameplay- all this at a cheap price of £129.99. This is very cheap for a new console! It is the newest console to be released (3rd May 2002) and has had lot’s of time to use the latest technology to it’s advantage. Already over 20 titles are available for this machine as well as many other peripherals. It can take up to four controllers, uniquely designed for the Gamecube, to optimize multiplayer gameplay. High standards are expected of this console and with big titles on the horizon, the future looks good for Nintendo.

Next up is the Playstation 2. Sony has ‘been there and done that’ when it comes to consoles. They released the original Playstation some 6 or so years ago. It was a huge success and Sony felt another console will be need to keep up with the ever changing world of computer games. It is not really a lot different from its predecessor. It is a relatively thin piece of machinery, with two controller ports and a disk drive. It takes normal sized disks. It has been released a year and a half now and has a huge range of games. The console may be behind in today’s technology, but the console should be able to take upgrades to improve performance within the upcoming years. Sony is becoming more and more experienced in the gaming market and their profit is proving this! Now a Playstation 3 is in development and Sony fans have a lot to look forward too.

Finally we reach the Box, Microsoft’s first attempt to delve into the console market- with the futuristic X box. The console may have many plus’s to it’s name, but price is not one of them! Even with a recent price cut, X Box is still the most expensive console on the market, pricing at £199.99. It does though back up this price with impressive power and top quality games. To date, not many games have been released- but what is out, makes total use of the X box’s power. It is a very large console with the ability to display crystal clear pictures and realistic graphics!
It is compatible with DVD, but at an extra price of £20. The box itself is rather large and the controller is quite uncomfortable in the hand.
Microsoft have launched a huge advertising campaign over the summer to boost European sales- It will need to be big if it is going to survive in the nasty console world! With the ‘Cube just released and the Playstation already around- will the X Box be able to stand tall?

After looking at the three biggest consoles on the market: Gamecube, X box and Playstation 2- I have found out lots of information. The huge console war is on now all three big guns are out and blazing. The Playstation already has a head start over the X box and Gamecube coming out about a year and a half earlier. Playstation sales are soaring in the UK, as well as making major profits in Japan and USA. Nintendo main profit is coming from Japan and America, as it is to early for it in Europe. The X Box is hanging in there and is making some high sales. As it has already been mentioned lots of times- the price will hold it back. Now Mircosoft need to put that money into games and please the customer.
In the end, top games will make top consoles. The consumer wants the best and if the best if on a PS2- well thats what they are going to buy. This obviously applies for the Gamecube and X box too! So now the consoles are realeased- will we be looking at a huge games war. We can only hope that games such as Final Fantasy (PS2) and Zelda(GC) stay with their respective companies to heat up the fued- though the Final fantasy series is coming to Nintendo, possibly giving it a firmer grip on the market. Sony will now need to rely on new, creative games aswel as top sequels to what is already out! Mircsoft are kind of starting from scratch and will be able to create new and exciting games- such as Halo.
And my opinion: Well I have only played the PS2 and Xbox, but own a Gamecube. I will stay loyal to my faithfull Nintendo and say it wil win the war. It has many plus's to it, but it will not be easy. The console war will bring out the best in all the companies and customer satisfaction should be high!
So please, your opinions- console favourites, games to look forward too and how you think the future of gaming will shape out????
Sat 01/06/02 at 22:31
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
The Gamecube doesn't need a hard-drive or online capabilities. It is purely a good gaming console and a cheap one at that.
Sat 01/06/02 at 15:16
Regular
Oh your right! Nintendo will go out of business now, not having a hard drive. I mean, how dumb could they be!?

If you can't tell, i'm being sarcastic, and your talking drivel. A hard drive is not an esential piece of hardware for a console. In fact, at the moment it still looks pretty pointless (and Blinx alone does not justify it). The Dreamcast came with everything for the internet, by your logic it should be the most succesful console on the market. Just being able to go on the internet isn't going to make the X-box an overnight success. And sure, you will need to buy an addition for the GC to go on the net, but I bet it won't be very expensive. And bear in mind it only cost £130 in the first place, instead of £299/£199 as the X-box was/is.
Sat 01/06/02 at 12:24
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Microsoft's Xbox is currently being overlooked as the most expensive - yet it comes with around twice the power of the Cube AND a Hard Drive and a network adaptor. When Nintendo and Sony go online, GC and PS2 owners will have to buy expensive add-ons. E.g PS2 is £199, but the hard drive/modem adaptor will retail for approx. £100 - £150. GC also does not have plans for a HD - a major limitation in the future
Tue 28/05/02 at 21:01
Regular
"keep your receipt"
Jez stop spamming with that ridiculous post, I've seen it in countless topics now. It isn't doing you any favours. All you're doing is clogging up this excellent post that obviously had alot of time put into it.

Well done on the post m8, I enjoyed it.
Tue 28/05/02 at 19:52
If you've read a review, and though it was wrong or tried a cheat to find it doesnt work? if you have, tell the person who posted it what you think. post there nickname on here and write what they've done to annoy you (go to pc gaming then to arguments). Keep it clean though. We dont want any name calling! Check this thing regularly to see if your on there, and stand up for yourself!
Tue 28/05/02 at 19:50
If you've read a review, and though it was wrong or tried a cheat to find it doesnt work? if you have, tell the person who posted it what you think. post there nickname on here and write what they've done to annoy you. Keep it clean though. We dont want any name calling! Check this thing regularly to see if your on there, and stand up for yourself!
Tue 28/05/02 at 18:23
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Oh, and yes, MS were losing money on selling an Xbox at £300. This article from USA Today quotes the dollar prices, but it was the first thing I found - you'll get the gist.

"Analysts have estimated that at the initial retail price of $299, Microsoft has been losing anywhere between $76 and $105 on every Xbox sold."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber /tech/2002/05/15/microsoft-xbox.htm

N.B. remove the
Tue 28/05/02 at 18:11
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Don't try and be smart? I'm not trying pal. It's an established normal that consoles sell at a loss, not something even worth debating, it is a fact.

Now, I'll quietly ignore the other sweeping comments you made.
Tue 28/05/02 at 12:48
"Darkness, always"
so, asking for £300 for an Xbox was an operating loss? don't be stupid.
the same goes for the release price of the PS2. Don't try to be smart, most console companies look for profit in opening sales, then drop the price for operating loss because the software is raking the dollar value in anyway.

the battle for second in the market is already won and lost, with microsoft not having any decent titles to backup their expeneive console, the Cube is running away with it. And don't delude yourself, Sony isn't nearly as far ahead as it needs to be to dominate the market. Regardless of quality, price rules the marketplace, and the common consumer will choose the cheapest reputable brand available. That as it stands is the Nintendo GameCube. The race to watch is to see if Sony can keep the lead they have. Personally, I doubt they can.

I own a GameCube. I don't want a PS2, not because of price, but because none of the titles available for it appeal to me. You see, I have a PC, which provides me with gaming challenge, and a GameCube, which helps relieve my need for something lighter. The PS2 and Box seem to sit in the middle of my requirements.

And at the moment, the only reason to own an XBOX is Halo, which looks fairly standard to me, as someone who isn't really into shooters.

summary:
PS2 will soon peak it's user base
GameCube is proving to be massively popular
XBOX is outselling PS2, but not the Cube, and is in danger of becoming a novelty console.
Tue 28/05/02 at 12:38
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
So the companies are just lying on their balance sheets when they write off huge losses to console sales? Someone should really tell the ASB (or thier international counterpart - name escapes me at present) quickly as someones is going to care that these companies are disobeying the regualtions in compiling thier annual reports and, for some bizzare reason, causing their companies to be undervalued.

If you want to look at the situation from the point of view of economics, as you put it, the fact the PS2 is underpowered is neither here nor there. It has the brand established with the PSX backing it, by far the largest installed user base and Sony will be on best terms out of the three with the third parties. All this equates to the big franchises touching base with the most recognisable brand in a three way market = an obvious choice for the majority of consumers. The real battle will be between Nintendo and Microsoft to see who can take second - even who can produce the console most people buy to go along side thier PS2.

That said, history shows that reputationa nd branding won't necessarily carry from generation to generation, look at the differenc between the SNES and N64. However, Sony simply have to many consoles sold already to mess this one up.

However, I couldn't give a damn about any of that, all three will make cash, I own each of the consoles and just want the occasional quality game to keep me busy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.