GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm Running Linux!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/03/08 at 19:18
Regular
"Mooching around"
Yeah, my latest technical endeavor as I was bored a couple of nights back and thought, why not?

Now two days later, and after many tearful screams at the computer screen, I'm back! And I love it.

Look at me with my wobbly windows and virtual 3D desktops ^^

Here's what mine looks like now click here, the window animations are a lot of fun as seeing things burn away always are.

But it's more than cosmetic, it's open-source, so everything is free, the installation of anything is so easy sometimes I wonder if it even installed; the synaptic package manager is a work of genius.

The only problem I've come across so far was getting my ATI graphics card to work with Ubuntu, which was a huge pain. Apparently it's much easier with Nvidia, but there you go. Once I'd got that up and running I was set.

Right now, with the help of the application Wine, all the old windows applications I relied on are being reinstalled and I've found better replacements for others.

I'm a right happy bunny it seems :)

Anyway, since screenshots can't really do it justice, I'll leave you with this YouTube link which is over a year old now too! So there's more features ^^
Sat 08/03/08 at 19:18
Regular
"Mooching around"
Yeah, my latest technical endeavor as I was bored a couple of nights back and thought, why not?

Now two days later, and after many tearful screams at the computer screen, I'm back! And I love it.

Look at me with my wobbly windows and virtual 3D desktops ^^

Here's what mine looks like now click here, the window animations are a lot of fun as seeing things burn away always are.

But it's more than cosmetic, it's open-source, so everything is free, the installation of anything is so easy sometimes I wonder if it even installed; the synaptic package manager is a work of genius.

The only problem I've come across so far was getting my ATI graphics card to work with Ubuntu, which was a huge pain. Apparently it's much easier with Nvidia, but there you go. Once I'd got that up and running I was set.

Right now, with the help of the application Wine, all the old windows applications I relied on are being reinstalled and I've found better replacements for others.

I'm a right happy bunny it seems :)

Anyway, since screenshots can't really do it justice, I'll leave you with this YouTube link which is over a year old now too! So there's more features ^^
Sat 08/03/08 at 20:07
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I've got about 4 or 5 spare hard-drives laying around here so i may test it out at some point when i've done some more research.
Sat 08/03/08 at 20:16
Regular
"Mooching around"
Nin wrote:
> I've got about 4 or 5 spare hard-drives laying around here so i
> may test it out at some point when i've done some more research.

Worth a try if you have the spares. The .iso download that you can burn to a disk, comes with an option to try a live version that runs off the CD. So you can test it out without having to compromise your current OS.

Though, to be honest, it doesn't really work that well, as if you're gonna do this, a lot of your programs, cards and such aren't going to be linux ready straight away, so you might end up a little limited.
Sat 08/03/08 at 20:25
Regular
Impressive :) I'd like to try Ubuntu someday.
Sat 08/03/08 at 20:36
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Yes I can see my productivity increasing 100% with "wobbly windows".
Sun 09/03/08 at 00:49
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Linux is well worth the initial hassle.
Sun 09/03/08 at 15:01
Regular
"Mooching around"
Garin wrote:
> Yes I can see my productivity increasing 100% with "wobbly
> windows".

Heh, yeah the wobbly windows is for show, but it keeps me happy :)

By the way, I've never used Firefox, so I don't know whether the spell checked I'm getting on these internet text boxes is from it or not?

Someone who uses Firefox verify for me?
Sun 09/03/08 at 15:28
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Chaos wrote:

> By the way, I've never used Firefox, so I don't know whether the
> spell checked I'm getting on these internet text boxes is from it
> or not?
>
> Someone who uses Firefox verify for me?

Using Firefox at present, what 'internet text boxes'?
Sun 09/03/08 at 16:08
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Chaos wrote:
> By the way, I've never used Firefox, so I don't know whether the
> spell checked I'm getting on these internet text boxes is from it
> or not?
>
> Someone who uses Firefox verify for me?

Probably, go to..

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General

...and see if Check my spelling as I type is checked.
Sun 09/03/08 at 16:09
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Yes, Firefox has inbuilt spellchecking. At least on Linux, I've never seen it on Windows I don't think. Maybe I'm using the wrong version.
When you get a word wrong and it underlines it, have a look at its suggested corrections, they are often completely bizarre.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.