GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The 'Real' Gaming Industry"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/05/02 at 19:53
Regular
We are way ahead of our time, in the technology department. This gives us the opportunity to make some of the finest consoles ever, with some of the finest graphics and some brilliant gameplay, but should it be this way, with the same old things?

Over the years, games and consoles have developed into something far superior to what anyone could of ever imagined. We now have PC’s that are faster than I could run, and game consoles that are able to portray life exactly like it is. But I feel that there is something wrong. In the old gaming world, where gaming was far less superior, than what it is now, and when they concentrated on actual gaming than making it as life like as they can, the gaming world would be a better place. A game like Tetris for example. The simplest concept by proved so effective. To be honest, people like Shigeru Miyamoto have revolutionised the way gaming is today, but coming up with the likes of games such as Zelda and Mario, and not just the game. These characters have become like people in themselves. They have been around for so long, in terms of the gaming industry, Mario more than Zelda, they have become like gods of the industry, where whenever a game comes out with them in, it seems it has to, and always is, very good.

But even with these characters still going strong in the world of gaming, it’s not enough to save it from its future downfall. Nintendo, the main source of originality, are trying out new kinds of things with Mario, the water thing, and Zelda, the Cel Shading thing, but I feel that Nintendo alone cannot save us from the constant unoriginal, boring, unexciting games coming out every month.

This seems to me, that the gaming world is kind of losing its touch. The concept of the platformer, beat ‘em up, shoot’em up etc has become dated after so many people have tried to recreate the Mario games and Metroid games, and I feel that a whole new concept to gaming needs to replace the old one. Don’t get me wrong, I feel that game developers are still making great games, like the new Zelda and Mario, and like Smash Bros. Melee, and Sonic, and these are all great games with great characters in, but isn’t it time for a change. For me, these games characters will never be forgotten, and by the time I’m thirty, a game will still being made for them, but is it time, some totally new, original games, and games characters came out? I know that game developers have tried, and they haven’t come anywhere near what the original Mario game on the NES was like and even Mario and Zelda on the N64, but how do you think Shigsy came out with Mario and Zelda. But trying over again and again, but also he has imagination, which unfortunately some game developers just don’t have, and that is why we get the same thing over and over again, with the exception of new but old Nintendo games.

Especially, with the Next-Gen consoles out games are needed to make the console a success. This is where a console needs to have a good array of games to make sure that it’s going to be a success. But like I said, we’re basically seeing the same sort of games coming out. All right, for XBOX, their main games are Halo and maybe Project Gotham Racing. These games are not new in anyway way, shape or form. Halo is yet another Shooter and PGR is yet again another racing. Don’t get me wrong the Gamecube and PS2 have got these kinds of games as well, and they look absolutely amazing and they have a great gameplay value, but don’t you feel like something new is needed. Pikmin is a fine example of one man trying to make the gaming industry better and yes you guessed it, his name is Shigeru Miyamoto. Pikmin is a totally new and exciting concept, and I think that people will follow hi, in change the way the gaming industry is today.

But what should be happening in the ‘real’ gaming world. Well, in the perfect ‘gaming’ world, every game would have a new character, new concept and be totally original. Will we ever see what the ‘real’ gaming world should be like? Somehow, I don’t think so. If we ever see that, I’ll eat my hat! I think that the gaming industry that is here today is here to stay. Personally, I hope it does change one day, but it won’t change for a very long time. And even if it does, it going to change ever so slightly. We’re going to be in for a very, very, long wait.

Thanks for Reading.

Liquid
Mon 27/05/02 at 19:55
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Ive said before that this was a good post.
But, you dont need to keep on posting them on different days if they dont win. Just post them once and in one forum on one day and that should be enough.

Ok?
Mon 27/05/02 at 19:53
Regular
We are way ahead of our time, in the technology department. This gives us the opportunity to make some of the finest consoles ever, with some of the finest graphics and some brilliant gameplay, but should it be this way, with the same old things?

Over the years, games and consoles have developed into something far superior to what anyone could of ever imagined. We now have PC’s that are faster than I could run, and game consoles that are able to portray life exactly like it is. But I feel that there is something wrong. In the old gaming world, where gaming was far less superior, than what it is now, and when they concentrated on actual gaming than making it as life like as they can, the gaming world would be a better place. A game like Tetris for example. The simplest concept by proved so effective. To be honest, people like Shigeru Miyamoto have revolutionised the way gaming is today, but coming up with the likes of games such as Zelda and Mario, and not just the game. These characters have become like people in themselves. They have been around for so long, in terms of the gaming industry, Mario more than Zelda, they have become like gods of the industry, where whenever a game comes out with them in, it seems it has to, and always is, very good.

But even with these characters still going strong in the world of gaming, it’s not enough to save it from its future downfall. Nintendo, the main source of originality, are trying out new kinds of things with Mario, the water thing, and Zelda, the Cel Shading thing, but I feel that Nintendo alone cannot save us from the constant unoriginal, boring, unexciting games coming out every month.

This seems to me, that the gaming world is kind of losing its touch. The concept of the platformer, beat ‘em up, shoot’em up etc has become dated after so many people have tried to recreate the Mario games and Metroid games, and I feel that a whole new concept to gaming needs to replace the old one. Don’t get me wrong, I feel that game developers are still making great games, like the new Zelda and Mario, and like Smash Bros. Melee, and Sonic, and these are all great games with great characters in, but isn’t it time for a change. For me, these games characters will never be forgotten, and by the time I’m thirty, a game will still being made for them, but is it time, some totally new, original games, and games characters came out? I know that game developers have tried, and they haven’t come anywhere near what the original Mario game on the NES was like and even Mario and Zelda on the N64, but how do you think Shigsy came out with Mario and Zelda. But trying over again and again, but also he has imagination, which unfortunately some game developers just don’t have, and that is why we get the same thing over and over again, with the exception of new but old Nintendo games.

Especially, with the Next-Gen consoles out games are needed to make the console a success. This is where a console needs to have a good array of games to make sure that it’s going to be a success. But like I said, we’re basically seeing the same sort of games coming out. All right, for XBOX, their main games are Halo and maybe Project Gotham Racing. These games are not new in anyway way, shape or form. Halo is yet another Shooter and PGR is yet again another racing. Don’t get me wrong the Gamecube and PS2 have got these kinds of games as well, and they look absolutely amazing and they have a great gameplay value, but don’t you feel like something new is needed. Pikmin is a fine example of one man trying to make the gaming industry better and yes you guessed it, his name is Shigeru Miyamoto. Pikmin is a totally new and exciting concept, and I think that people will follow hi, in change the way the gaming industry is today.

But what should be happening in the ‘real’ gaming world. Well, in the perfect ‘gaming’ world, every game would have a new character, new concept and be totally original. Will we ever see what the ‘real’ gaming world should be like? Somehow, I don’t think so. If we ever see that, I’ll eat my hat! I think that the gaming industry that is here today is here to stay. Personally, I hope it does change one day, but it won’t change for a very long time. And even if it does, it going to change ever so slightly. We’re going to be in for a very, very, long wait.

Thanks for Reading.

Liquid

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.