GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advertising pushing it...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/05/02 at 18:38
Regular
Have you seen the adverts for the Harry Potter game? You know, the one with the excellent FMV sequences, loads of action, and near realistic graphics. The one that says "Not in game footgae" at the bottom...

So, not only has the advertiser decided to try to mislead people by showing FMV sequence and try to make it appear to be the game, but they've actually gone to the length to create FMV sequences for the purpose.

It's no wonder that they put the disclaimer on the bottom of the ad- imagine how many people would complain and demand their money back if they hadn't.

So, is this a sign that graphics are all the customers look for when buying games? Oh, and licences don't hurt! What about developers/publishers spending money on advertising that could have been used to make the game a little closer to the adverts' graphical quality?

Sonic
Mon 27/05/02 at 21:44
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Is there a Final Fantasy X advert?

I want to see it to see how it matches up to Ocarina of Time.
Mon 27/05/02 at 21:22
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Olive eh...

Which morons decided to make that the HTML code for olive? Surely urine would be better? Oh, and does anyone wonder if there are easter eggs in HTML readers- maybe if, say, you put color [sic] = beer then something cool would happen?
Mon 27/05/02 at 11:48
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It's actually "Olive". RTFS.

Anyway, you also mentioned they make the game seem like it has lots of action. I admit to not having played the game, but I would think it's an RPG-style thing, and I'm sure the advert make the gameplay look better than it actually is, not just the graphics.
Mon 27/05/02 at 10:58
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I've seen that advert, and I was amazed untill I saw the disclaimer thing.

It wouldn't have made me go out and buy the game, but it did grab my attention, and I may have been interested in finding out more.
All the Harry Potter fans - mainly the younger ones who don't spot the message - will surely be going head over heals over a game that looks that good.

Are those actual sequences that appear in the game by the way??
Or were they just created to grab attention?

This is a multi-format game, and Potter fans may read the message, but still think that quality can be found - or at least very close to it.
So they may look for the console with the highest graphics specs (the X-box) and decide to buy that console purely for the sake of this game that they've seen on TV.
Mon 27/05/02 at 10:26
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
pb wrote:
Nice to see your name in yellow at last Sonic!

Yellow? Is that what it is? I was told it was urine!
Sun 26/05/02 at 20:41
"possibly impossible"
And the stupid thing is that the licence alone would probably sell copies of the game, without any fancy graphics or even good review scores.

Nice to see your name in yellow at last Sonic!
Sun 26/05/02 at 18:45
Regular
"ProGolfer"
I know i saw the harry potter advert and then at the end it said fottage not in game well somthing like that i thought geeees this game must be crap if they dont even want us to see the actual game.
Sun 26/05/02 at 18:42
Regular
So true. That's why them kind of games sell apart from the movie license of course. It seems that Tv is used more and more to make games look better than they actually are. That is why graphics have such an influence on the gaming industry today.
Sun 26/05/02 at 18:38
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Have you seen the adverts for the Harry Potter game? You know, the one with the excellent FMV sequences, loads of action, and near realistic graphics. The one that says "Not in game footgae" at the bottom...

So, not only has the advertiser decided to try to mislead people by showing FMV sequence and try to make it appear to be the game, but they've actually gone to the length to create FMV sequences for the purpose.

It's no wonder that they put the disclaimer on the bottom of the ad- imagine how many people would complain and demand their money back if they hadn't.

So, is this a sign that graphics are all the customers look for when buying games? Oh, and licences don't hurt! What about developers/publishers spending money on advertising that could have been used to make the game a little closer to the adverts' graphical quality?

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.