GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cover Your Eyes, Kids"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/05/02 at 14:24
Regular
I hope I'm not just speaking for myself here, but at one time or another, when we're trekking through vast gameplay in order to for fill our destiny, we momentarily have lapses of insanity. If you know me, you'll probably know I don't mean this literally. But when you've just been challenged by a secret character on Super Smash Bros. Melee and you're really hungry, it has to be done. You have to 'Pause' your game.

So while you're sitting there, munching away at some food, looking into the glass, which is the Television screen, you get very bored. Okay - so on Super Smash Bros. Melee you can mess around with the camera angles, but that's no good when you're eating. Your fingers might be greasy, and god forbid if you touched a GameCube controller with greasy fingers, there's no way of having all the fun you could by moving around your character.

But staring at the same screen, that isn't moving, for the time it takes to, say, eat a bag of crisps can get very boring. Because nothing is happening. But this can be helped. At first it may sound like a stupid idea, but when you think about it, it should grow on you. What am I talking about, you ask? Well I'll give you a clue then tell you, when you leave your PC on for a bit, what happens? A screensaver is activated!

With screensavers, you normally get something quite boring moving around. But, with consoles it would so different. Because you can't put it straight onto the console, you could buy I disk with a set of screensavers and load the one like onto each memory card. One of the reasons the screensavers you get on the PC are normally quite boring is because they're usually free. But as many people know, a lot more can be done to a screensaver. Audio can be added, you can have maybe galleries of pictures. But something I thought would be great would be if you could get a theme of screensavers for your console, which are previews or trailers.

This would be brilliant, because say you went to E3, if you were lucky enough, different companies could seel screensavers. So in one disk you could have a Metroid Prime trailer, a Legend of Zelda trailer, an Animal Crossing (previously Animal Forest +) trailer, a StarFox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet trailer and a Super Mario Sunshine trailer all in one. Maybe for different games saved onto different memory cards you could give different screensavers. So for Luigi's Mansion you could set Super Mario Sunshine, starring Luigi's sibling, Super Mario Sunshine.

But not only that, something else on the GameCube could come in very handy for trading your purchased screensavers - the GameCubes internet capabilities. So say there's a trailer you really want to see of a game that's only out in Japan because you're thinking about importing, then you could search the internet on your GameCube for that certain trailer and maybe trade it with someone in Japan for a Cricket game that would never be released in Japan.

I would personally love to this happen, because all the time I get bored of seeing the 'Pause' screen.

Thanks for reading

RiCkOsS
Mon 27/05/02 at 12:44
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Nah, then you'd have the character scratching his @r5e or something - if it was Homer Simpson or someone!

Link and Mario both do things when you leave them.
It works ok, just as long as you don't leave them near a load of enemies r anything!
Mon 27/05/02 at 12:33
Regular
But would screensavers activate when you left the game idol.... just a thought.
Mon 27/05/02 at 12:09
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
That's the beauty of dinners you can eat one-handed when combined with games you can play one handed. This is why my laptop lives on the kitchen table so I can play Civ when I'm eating.

Personally, I'm unconvinced by the idea, or even the need for console screen savers. As a rule (aside from eating, which as i said is covered by the lappy), if I've paused the game, it's because I'm going away from the telly. And if I'm not, I'll turn the telly off (leaving the console on), and put some music on. There are other non-visual forms of entertainment.
Mon 27/05/02 at 11:48
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Interesting...

It is pretty boring if you do sit there and watch a paused screen while you eat, and ScreenSavers are a good way of keeping it alive.

Maybe you could have a different theme for each game??

Mario could have him jumping on enemies heads - or maybe even some footage of him back in his old plumbing days - that's be interesting!

With Zelda, you could have some footage of Link in battle with Ganon, like what we saw before Ocarina of Time was released.

It could work quite well actually.
Sun 26/05/02 at 17:44
Regular
Good post, but don't we sort of have in-game screen savers when you puse a game. I know what you mean, like have a proper screen-saver but that is basically what the pause button does.
Sun 26/05/02 at 17:42
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Whitestripes wrote:
> The Dreamcast had a screensaver, little coloured twirly things span
> around the screen. A bit like if you were high.

Not that you'd know or anything, right...?

;-)
Sun 26/05/02 at 17:04
Regular
The Dreamcast had a screensaver, little coloured twirly things span around the screen. A bit like if you were high.
Sun 26/05/02 at 15:24
Regular
Cheers for the comment :-)
Sun 26/05/02 at 15:07
thats was very well written there.The thought of using screen savers on consoles sounds very promisisng
Sun 26/05/02 at 14:24
Regular
I hope I'm not just speaking for myself here, but at one time or another, when we're trekking through vast gameplay in order to for fill our destiny, we momentarily have lapses of insanity. If you know me, you'll probably know I don't mean this literally. But when you've just been challenged by a secret character on Super Smash Bros. Melee and you're really hungry, it has to be done. You have to 'Pause' your game.

So while you're sitting there, munching away at some food, looking into the glass, which is the Television screen, you get very bored. Okay - so on Super Smash Bros. Melee you can mess around with the camera angles, but that's no good when you're eating. Your fingers might be greasy, and god forbid if you touched a GameCube controller with greasy fingers, there's no way of having all the fun you could by moving around your character.

But staring at the same screen, that isn't moving, for the time it takes to, say, eat a bag of crisps can get very boring. Because nothing is happening. But this can be helped. At first it may sound like a stupid idea, but when you think about it, it should grow on you. What am I talking about, you ask? Well I'll give you a clue then tell you, when you leave your PC on for a bit, what happens? A screensaver is activated!

With screensavers, you normally get something quite boring moving around. But, with consoles it would so different. Because you can't put it straight onto the console, you could buy I disk with a set of screensavers and load the one like onto each memory card. One of the reasons the screensavers you get on the PC are normally quite boring is because they're usually free. But as many people know, a lot more can be done to a screensaver. Audio can be added, you can have maybe galleries of pictures. But something I thought would be great would be if you could get a theme of screensavers for your console, which are previews or trailers.

This would be brilliant, because say you went to E3, if you were lucky enough, different companies could seel screensavers. So in one disk you could have a Metroid Prime trailer, a Legend of Zelda trailer, an Animal Crossing (previously Animal Forest +) trailer, a StarFox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet trailer and a Super Mario Sunshine trailer all in one. Maybe for different games saved onto different memory cards you could give different screensavers. So for Luigi's Mansion you could set Super Mario Sunshine, starring Luigi's sibling, Super Mario Sunshine.

But not only that, something else on the GameCube could come in very handy for trading your purchased screensavers - the GameCubes internet capabilities. So say there's a trailer you really want to see of a game that's only out in Japan because you're thinking about importing, then you could search the internet on your GameCube for that certain trailer and maybe trade it with someone in Japan for a Cricket game that would never be released in Japan.

I would personally love to this happen, because all the time I get bored of seeing the 'Pause' screen.

Thanks for reading

RiCkOsS

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.