GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Now that we've all seen the new E3 Zelda trailer..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 25/05/02 at 20:09
Regular
Now that we’ve all seen the E3 Zelda footage, what do you think? If you were a hater, are you now a lover? Do you still love the new look as you did before? It definitely seems to me that the new look has worked. To me the Zelda series is all about the atmosphere and mystery of the Legend. Ever since the first Zelda game out there has been no other game like it and now in today’s day and age of ‘same old, same old’ the Zelda series still stands out as a cut above the rest, be it in gameplay AND visuals. As the trailer says, “Every game has a story. Only one is a legend.”

But there are flaws too. To many fans the magic of Zelda has been the Legend itself – how the lives and world of the people of Hyrule (or any other land) change and develop as the games go on. With Majora’s Mask and the recent Ages duo on the GBC the plot has gone a bit twisted…something that upset the purists out there. But to them, do they feel the original Zelda was better than, say, Majora’s Mask, just because it stayed true to the Legend?

In my opinion the new Zelda has hit the perfect balance. The new instalment remains a next-generation title that contains fantastic gameplay, but the new graphical style has also imbued a sense of mystery and character to the game that seemed the be lost in the past two or three Zelda games. It seems that Nintendo have come up trumps again. Quite a few people have been left with egg on their faces and many are still happy. Keep up the good work.

If you haven’t seen the new Zelda E3 trailer yet…

http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/contents/
gamepage/gamecontent/images/e3/Zelda
-gcn/e3_zelda_gcn_trailer.wmv

Unfortunately the forums don’t allow single words over 70 characters so you’ll have to copy and paste the above lines into one big URL.
Tue 28/05/02 at 22:33
Regular
I agree with the main post that the game is stunning visually and looks brilliant i disagree with the belief that the sotryline should have been the same. Never has shiguru said this isn't set in Hyrule, Ages and Seasons and Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask featured those Zelda characters, monsters and had the main adventurer link, yes it isn't the same storyline that has been used no less than 4 times.

i don't mind really what the story is, as long as its moving, masgical, brilliant sword play and you get to play as Chris i er mean Link again.
Tue 28/05/02 at 17:32
Playman I wouldn't say the cel shading isnt realistic, it is providing transparency, lighting, shadowing, fogging, feather and physics effects that you would not have seen if the character models had gone for a "Realistic" look.
Tue 28/05/02 at 17:26
Regular
"keep your receipt"
I thought that the cinematic style actually did the Zelda games justice...since Ocarina of Time, the Zelda games have always been really epic and the cinematic trailer gave a view of that.

Not sure if it would have looked crap with realistic graphics though...the game would certainly have had a different feel. I think that Cel-shading was the right way to go.

The N64 installments tried to be realistic but the N64's poor power meant that everything was still blocky and surreal. On Gamecube, a realistic Zelda would have been just TOO realistic, it would have lost the Zelda feel.
Tue 28/05/02 at 15:19
The E3 Zelda footage confirmed all my feelings about the new cel-shaded look. The game looks brilliant, with the cartoony, non-realistic graphics perfectly suiting the fantastical, surreal atmosphere that Zelda games have always had. The game just wouldn't have looked any good with hyper-realistic graphics.

Paul Harries
Aberystwyth
Tue 28/05/02 at 15:10
Regular
I thought the Cinema Style Trailers were really stupid.

Zelda and Mario didn't even have their theme tunes and the narrator was nothing other than annoying!

Atleast the Game footage looked good.
Mon 27/05/02 at 16:45
Regular
"keep your receipt"
Yeah Link's Awakening is my favourite Zelda game by far. I've played the rest but Link's Awakening seemed to me the perfect balance between classic zelda gameplay and a gameplay that made good use of the technology available at the time.
Sun 26/05/02 at 10:44
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I can't wait for it!

But at least i'll have something to do during that time - finnish off the 2 N64 Zelda's, actually START playing Oracle of Ages and then get Oracle of Seasons, and maybe even go back in time and get Link's Awakening on the GBA too.

And of course, i'll be playing some great N64, GameCube, and hopefully Dreamcast games too.

:D
Sun 26/05/02 at 09:16
Regular
I think it looks great. Everything about it is great...
Sun 26/05/02 at 09:13
Regular
"keep your receipt"
When does it come out again? Is it Feb 2003? and and Mario Sunshine at Xmas?
Sat 25/05/02 at 20:16
Regular
I used to hate it and thought Nintendo were making a huge mistake. But some people on these forums convinced me it was actually better a few weeks ago. That just confirmed what they told me.
*rubs off 'Dinosaur Planet' from top of paper, writes 'Celda'(I'm using the term affectionatly)*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.