GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 Fifa Street 3"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Fifa Street 3'.
Thu 06/03/08 at 19:46
Regular
Okay, i must say i am a fan of the first 2 installments of the Fifa Street series, and i played the demo (which i thought wasnt too bad) and finally decided to buy it. got the game this morning, played it so far for a bout an hour and a half. so, to the review:

Gameplay:
As with previous Fifa Street games, the idea is to humiliate your opponent with a wide array of tricks and flicks, whilst completing objectives (usually, score more than opponent/score a certain amount/timed, etc.). The use of triangle as the flick/juggling button is quite a big change from FS2, as that used L1 (or was it L2?) to use juggling. I must say, the array of tricks in this installment is very limited compared to the amount in FS1 and 2, but the arena walls now play a bigger part in the humiliating process. Sprint towards a wall head on and ur "Hero" will run up it and do a flip. Run at it from an angle, and they will sprint across it for a short distance, filling up the Gamebreaker bar. This also has been given a complete over-haul from the previous games, with FS1's GB being a single powerful and near unstoppable shot, whilst FS2's was a humiliating (possible) K.O. or +2 goals for u and -1 off the opponent after successfully skinning the players. in FS3 however, the activation of GB is like an extra boost over a short time (which can be refilled whilst in use by doing tricks and then taking random shots), which allows u to take as many shots as possible within the time of the GB activated. The "Trick Stick" is not, as the case says, "Ultra-Intuitive", but quite sluggish and does not seem to feel as right as in the first 2.
However, the game is still very fun to play. The only niggling thing about it is "Out of Play". This really makes the gameplay slow down to a minimal, even tho the whole premise is about fast, flashy moves.

Gameplay Rating: 7/10

Graphics:
At first, i was scepticle of EA Sports Big choosing cell-shaded instead of real life... but the game is not aimed at being real... its aimed at creating an arcady style game.. which they succeed in doing. Animation is smooth and fluid, with the tricks being made seamlessly, with every flick looking perfect. The stadiums are also very bright and bold and seem full of life, with the basketball nets wobbling as players brush them, or fences wobbling when the ball/player hits them. The GB scenes are also very good, with a purple trail following player/ball and the backdrop turning greyish to emphasise the players are in overdrive.
These graphics, i feel, are much better than the original, and so they should be on a next generation console.

Graphics Rating: 8/10

Sound/Soundtrack:
EA are known for there variety of songs and different origins of song, and this game doesnt let it down. With 30+ songs, ranging from electric, to urban, it really adds to the experience. The bad thing is u cant use L3/R3 to change songs like in Fifa 08, as i have found that some of the songs u just will not want to listen to in certain stadiums and think that the song just does not fit in with the scene. The lack of commentator is only a good thing, with it feeling less like a school match and more of a street match. Players laugh out and call for the ball (obviously not player likenessing voicing, but u no its a player saying somethin and not any spectaters, if any).

Sound/Soundtrack Rating: 8/10

Misc.
Now to any features that i cant be bothered to fit into previous sections or give its own section to:
Online i think (havent tried yet) is very similar to the multiplayer experience with people round ur house. only 8 people max per match can be done over wireless, with up to 7 people at once in the home... not much of a difference.
Customisation is completely missing in this game, with no buying tops/accessories/balls, etc. or creating stadiums, of even creating urself. This isnt a good thing, as the customisation gave u something to aim for, with the Street points being useful.
Challenges are repetitive. FS2 u had like "Pana so many times", "Score so many Gamebreaker Goals", stuff like that. This time, as u cannot truly control megs/lobs (only via flick/juggle button), u lose all that. u have basic modes, such as "Score more than opponent in time limit", "Reach this number of goals first", "Score more GB goals"...
No Replay Saving. This is a real bummer. other EA games have the slogan "If it aint footage, it aint real"... so y is it not the case here? i have scored some stunning goals with great skills in the build up... when it comes to replay there is no save option.

Overall:
Overall, this is an ok game and addition to the Fifa Street Franchise. All the points in Misc, u may notice, are negative... which really harms the overall score as some of these features shud be in a game that is on next gen.

Score:
6/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 06/03/08 at 19:46
Regular
Okay, i must say i am a fan of the first 2 installments of the Fifa Street series, and i played the demo (which i thought wasnt too bad) and finally decided to buy it. got the game this morning, played it so far for a bout an hour and a half. so, to the review:

Gameplay:
As with previous Fifa Street games, the idea is to humiliate your opponent with a wide array of tricks and flicks, whilst completing objectives (usually, score more than opponent/score a certain amount/timed, etc.). The use of triangle as the flick/juggling button is quite a big change from FS2, as that used L1 (or was it L2?) to use juggling. I must say, the array of tricks in this installment is very limited compared to the amount in FS1 and 2, but the arena walls now play a bigger part in the humiliating process. Sprint towards a wall head on and ur "Hero" will run up it and do a flip. Run at it from an angle, and they will sprint across it for a short distance, filling up the Gamebreaker bar. This also has been given a complete over-haul from the previous games, with FS1's GB being a single powerful and near unstoppable shot, whilst FS2's was a humiliating (possible) K.O. or +2 goals for u and -1 off the opponent after successfully skinning the players. in FS3 however, the activation of GB is like an extra boost over a short time (which can be refilled whilst in use by doing tricks and then taking random shots), which allows u to take as many shots as possible within the time of the GB activated. The "Trick Stick" is not, as the case says, "Ultra-Intuitive", but quite sluggish and does not seem to feel as right as in the first 2.
However, the game is still very fun to play. The only niggling thing about it is "Out of Play". This really makes the gameplay slow down to a minimal, even tho the whole premise is about fast, flashy moves.

Gameplay Rating: 7/10

Graphics:
At first, i was scepticle of EA Sports Big choosing cell-shaded instead of real life... but the game is not aimed at being real... its aimed at creating an arcady style game.. which they succeed in doing. Animation is smooth and fluid, with the tricks being made seamlessly, with every flick looking perfect. The stadiums are also very bright and bold and seem full of life, with the basketball nets wobbling as players brush them, or fences wobbling when the ball/player hits them. The GB scenes are also very good, with a purple trail following player/ball and the backdrop turning greyish to emphasise the players are in overdrive.
These graphics, i feel, are much better than the original, and so they should be on a next generation console.

Graphics Rating: 8/10

Sound/Soundtrack:
EA are known for there variety of songs and different origins of song, and this game doesnt let it down. With 30+ songs, ranging from electric, to urban, it really adds to the experience. The bad thing is u cant use L3/R3 to change songs like in Fifa 08, as i have found that some of the songs u just will not want to listen to in certain stadiums and think that the song just does not fit in with the scene. The lack of commentator is only a good thing, with it feeling less like a school match and more of a street match. Players laugh out and call for the ball (obviously not player likenessing voicing, but u no its a player saying somethin and not any spectaters, if any).

Sound/Soundtrack Rating: 8/10

Misc.
Now to any features that i cant be bothered to fit into previous sections or give its own section to:
Online i think (havent tried yet) is very similar to the multiplayer experience with people round ur house. only 8 people max per match can be done over wireless, with up to 7 people at once in the home... not much of a difference.
Customisation is completely missing in this game, with no buying tops/accessories/balls, etc. or creating stadiums, of even creating urself. This isnt a good thing, as the customisation gave u something to aim for, with the Street points being useful.
Challenges are repetitive. FS2 u had like "Pana so many times", "Score so many Gamebreaker Goals", stuff like that. This time, as u cannot truly control megs/lobs (only via flick/juggle button), u lose all that. u have basic modes, such as "Score more than opponent in time limit", "Reach this number of goals first", "Score more GB goals"...
No Replay Saving. This is a real bummer. other EA games have the slogan "If it aint footage, it aint real"... so y is it not the case here? i have scored some stunning goals with great skills in the build up... when it comes to replay there is no save option.

Overall:
Overall, this is an ok game and addition to the Fifa Street Franchise. All the points in Misc, u may notice, are negative... which really harms the overall score as some of these features shud be in a game that is on next gen.

Score:
6/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.