GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Enjoy Gaming!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 25/05/02 at 15:13
Regular
What is it with the majority of Playstation 2 and the new breed of X-box gamers? They are so blinded by their idea of the sun shining out of Sony and Microsoft's backsides that they tut at even the mear mention of Nintendo and the GameCube. Ofcourse not all Playstation 2 gamers and X-box gamers are like that, there are a few that accept the GameCube is a good console, and that if they don't like it, it doesn't mean others can't like it either.

Even my brother, who was once a pround N64 gamer, who bought a Playstation 2, has become like it! Just the mere mention of Nintendo makes him tut, and whereas before he'd play games like Mario Tennis and Super Mario 64, he will now ONLY play Perfect Dark and 1080 Snowboarding as the other titles are too cartoony. After saying that, he switched on his PS2 and played Final Fantasy 9 with it's cartoony characters and SNES-like speach bubbles.

Some people blame the games for it all. If Nintendo didn't make so many games with cute characters like Pikachu, Kirby and Donkey Kong in them, and concentrated on blood, gore and sex appeal, then Nintendo's consoles would be more successful. How much more successful can they get though? They're selling the GameCube much faster than the X-box (in the UK), and
the Game Boy is the most successful games machine ever! You can't get much better than that.

Others blame it on the marketing, a lack of advertising and awareness decreases sales. However, this time Nintendo are making sure that everyone knows about the console and it's games. I've seen the Super Smash Bros Melee advert atleast once every day this week! Compared to the N64 when I saw the cool advert of Joanna Dark putting clothes on, once! But Nintendo cleverly made the Pokémon games popular by releasing the cartoon series a few months before the games (on terrestrial TV) and that's how the Pokémon games became the most successful so far.

However, I blame it on the fear of many a youngster in society. It's like the fear of being seen in High-Tec trainers instead of Nike, or the fear of being seen drinking Virgin Cola instead of Pepsi and Coca Cola. They are all afraid of playing a Nintendo system because of Nintendo's old and stereotyped image of being a kiddies company. Shigeru Miyamoto gave the nod for Capcom to release the Resident Evil series for heaven's sake! Surely he wouldn't do that if Nintendo were a kiddies company.

Now I'm not bitching against people playing on the Playstation 2 and X-box. Far from it! As far as I'm concerned, people can play what they like as long as they enjoy it. But why have a go at Nintendo systems? Why have a go at the games? If you don't like the games, don't buy them, it's as simple as that, and leave those of us who do want to play them to do so.
I know Nintendo gamers do the same to Sony and Microsoft fans too. I dislike the whole X-box system and controller, and I'm not too keen on the games or the controller on the Playstation 2 either, and that's my opinion. However, I don't go dictating to everyone that you shouldn't play those systems for any petty reasons.

Just let others enjoy themselves playing games as we all have different tastes, and we'll play whatever we enjoy, whether that be a cartoony game, a game filled with big bouncing breasts, or a game filled with more gore than a night out with Bram Stoker. Enjoy gaming!
Mon 27/05/02 at 20:32
Regular
*seen, not scene. Doh.
Mon 27/05/02 at 20:29
Regular
The Cell shaded Zelda rocks (note: My opinion)! I hated it at first because I ha scene the clip of the adult Link fighting Gannondorf. But now I've seen the clips of Celda I don't mind. They may be cartoony, but the graphics are a-m-a-z-i-n-g! And it will still be an incredible adventure just like all the ones before it. When it eventually comes out, have a go on it and you'll probably change your mind.
Mon 27/05/02 at 16:58
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I agree that it's all about being popular, and being in with the right crowd.

But 10 years ago, Nintendo would've been the company to go with, and you'd be humiliated and laughed at if you were a fan of something older like an Einstein computer!

How time's have changed...
I bet that if the X-box and the PS2 couldn't played DVD's then this situation wouldn't be so bad for Nintendo fans. The N64 didn't fail because it was seen as 'un-cool' - look at GoldenEye and Perfect Dark - I never saw the advert for that!
Sat 25/05/02 at 18:29
Regular
Stryke wrote:
> I agree, because I love Nintendo, and most of all I love Zelda. But
> thats part of the reason I might not get a Gamecube. It's getting too
> cartoony, possibly. Cel-shaded Zelda? Bollix to that. It may just be
> because I'm used to the PS2 and it's "serious" games, but
> how can a game be serious? I might still get a Gamecube, and I love
> playing on my N64, especially Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but
> I'll stay away from the cel-shaded Zelda.
>
> Cartoony is fun, in moderation.
> Too cartoony sucks balls.
>
> Some games can survive cel-shading, even look better for it, like
> Mario Sunshine. Zelda won't.
>
>
> Too cartoony = bollix.

I think you're right there. We've been thrown right into the deepend with Cel Shading. Fair enough it's a revolutionary style, but Miyamoto is taking a large risk with Zelda releasing it in Cel-Shading. I suppose that if it doesn't quite work out sales-wise, he'll make the cash back up with A Link to the Past on the Game Boy Advance.

I was impressed, I hav to admit, with the game when I saw the E3 clip. However, many, like you, just wont get it because it's too cartoony. Even the SNES/GBA version seems more 'grown up' in terms of graphics.

Anyway, we'll see what happens when Nintendo finally decide on a UK release. I hope it sells a well as Ocarina of Time, but I've got my doubts.
Sat 25/05/02 at 16:06
Regular
I agree, because I love Nintendo, and most of all I love Zelda. But thats part of the reason I might not get a Gamecube. It's getting too cartoony, possibly. Cel-shaded Zelda? Bollix to that. It may just be because I'm used to the PS2 and it's "serious" games, but how can a game be serious? I might still get a Gamecube, and I love playing on my N64, especially Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but I'll stay away from the cel-shaded Zelda.

Cartoony is fun, in moderation.
Too cartoony sucks balls.

Some games can survive cel-shading, even look better for it, like Mario Sunshine. Zelda won't.

Too cartoony = bollix.
Sat 25/05/02 at 16:01
Regular
They might need competition for their success, but I think the only competition they have is Sony. Microsoft aren't going to get any success with the XBOX. They should of stuck to what they were good at. Sony have a massive fan base and with the PSX/PS2 being so popular they need to have a good third-party support, excellent games coming out and to make the console the best they can.

Liquid
Sat 25/05/02 at 15:54
Regular
Microsoft and Sony have and are playing their part too. Sony have actually helped Nintendo regain and keep their status in the market. If Sony hadn't drowned out SEGA and taken most of Nintendo's third party support and customers, Nintendo probably wouldn't be putting in so much effort right now to bring back the reputation Nintendo once had as the leading videogames manuafacturers in the market.

The GameCube is the prime result, with lots of advertising and loads of brilliant games that probably wouldn't have come about if it wasn't for Sony and the PSX/2.

Microsoft have also brought us Halo, which I am yet to play but are very reluctant to as I really do dislike the controllers (and can't currently afford an X-box anyway). Halo is clearly a decent modern FPS, and the magazines rate it highly, and this is surely going to make the other FPS game developers sit up and think how they can improve on their ideas to beat Halo to a bloody pulp.

That's what competition does. Nintendo need competition to fuel their success. They even participated in a mini price-war when Microsoft lowered the price of their machine. Though Nintendo were forced to really seing as their console doesn't have the DVD options, and would have only been Ł60 cheaper (when the DVD extra is bought for the X-box) and many would have considered the X-box better value, but now there is around a Ł90 difference now, which makes the X-box still look expensive at Ł230 (for DVD playability).

All the companies play their part, it's just those critics who don't consider the facts, only opinions, don't appreciate this.
Sat 25/05/02 at 15:22
Regular
I totally agree with you Edgy.

At school all I hear about is the XBOX or the PS2. I have a PS2 myself and I think it's good, but nowhere near as good as the Gamecube and the same goes for Xbox. Nintendo have made the gaming inustry what it is today, and Sony and Microsoft have just copied. I hate the fact that a lot of people think that Nintendo make games for kids when really it's an excuse because most people that say Nintendo is for kids can't play games like Zelda and Mario,because they find them to hard, and they need something simpler like a football game.

Can you read my post The 'Real' Gaming Industry please and find out about what gaming is REALLY about.
Sat 25/05/02 at 15:13
Regular
What is it with the majority of Playstation 2 and the new breed of X-box gamers? They are so blinded by their idea of the sun shining out of Sony and Microsoft's backsides that they tut at even the mear mention of Nintendo and the GameCube. Ofcourse not all Playstation 2 gamers and X-box gamers are like that, there are a few that accept the GameCube is a good console, and that if they don't like it, it doesn't mean others can't like it either.

Even my brother, who was once a pround N64 gamer, who bought a Playstation 2, has become like it! Just the mere mention of Nintendo makes him tut, and whereas before he'd play games like Mario Tennis and Super Mario 64, he will now ONLY play Perfect Dark and 1080 Snowboarding as the other titles are too cartoony. After saying that, he switched on his PS2 and played Final Fantasy 9 with it's cartoony characters and SNES-like speach bubbles.

Some people blame the games for it all. If Nintendo didn't make so many games with cute characters like Pikachu, Kirby and Donkey Kong in them, and concentrated on blood, gore and sex appeal, then Nintendo's consoles would be more successful. How much more successful can they get though? They're selling the GameCube much faster than the X-box (in the UK), and
the Game Boy is the most successful games machine ever! You can't get much better than that.

Others blame it on the marketing, a lack of advertising and awareness decreases sales. However, this time Nintendo are making sure that everyone knows about the console and it's games. I've seen the Super Smash Bros Melee advert atleast once every day this week! Compared to the N64 when I saw the cool advert of Joanna Dark putting clothes on, once! But Nintendo cleverly made the Pokémon games popular by releasing the cartoon series a few months before the games (on terrestrial TV) and that's how the Pokémon games became the most successful so far.

However, I blame it on the fear of many a youngster in society. It's like the fear of being seen in High-Tec trainers instead of Nike, or the fear of being seen drinking Virgin Cola instead of Pepsi and Coca Cola. They are all afraid of playing a Nintendo system because of Nintendo's old and stereotyped image of being a kiddies company. Shigeru Miyamoto gave the nod for Capcom to release the Resident Evil series for heaven's sake! Surely he wouldn't do that if Nintendo were a kiddies company.

Now I'm not bitching against people playing on the Playstation 2 and X-box. Far from it! As far as I'm concerned, people can play what they like as long as they enjoy it. But why have a go at Nintendo systems? Why have a go at the games? If you don't like the games, don't buy them, it's as simple as that, and leave those of us who do want to play them to do so.
I know Nintendo gamers do the same to Sony and Microsoft fans too. I dislike the whole X-box system and controller, and I'm not too keen on the games or the controller on the Playstation 2 either, and that's my opinion. However, I don't go dictating to everyone that you shouldn't play those systems for any petty reasons.

Just let others enjoy themselves playing games as we all have different tastes, and we'll play whatever we enjoy, whether that be a cartoony game, a game filled with big bouncing breasts, or a game filled with more gore than a night out with Bram Stoker. Enjoy gaming!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.