GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The 'Real' Gaming Industry"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 25/05/02 at 15:03
Regular
We are way ahead of our time, in the technology department. This gives us the opportunity to make some of the finest consoles ever, with some of the finest graphics and some brilliant gameplay, but should it be this way, with the same old things?

Over the years, games and consoles have developed into something far superior to what anyone could of ever imagined. We now have PC’s that are faster than I could run, and game consoles that are able to portray life exactly like it is. But I feel that there is something wrong. In the old gaming world, where gaming was far less superior, than what it is now, and when they concentrated on actual gaming than making it as life like as they can, the gaming world would be a better place. A game like Tetris for example. The simplest concept by proved so effective. To be honest, people like Shigeru Miyamoto have revolutionised the way gaming is today, but coming up with the likes of games such as Zelda and Mario, and not just the game. These characters have become like people in themselves. They have been around for so long, in terms of the gaming industry, Mario more than Zelda, they have become like gods of the industry, where whenever a game comes out with them in, it seems it has to, and always is, very good.

But even with these characters still going strong in the world of gaming, it’s not enough to save it from its future downfall. Nintendo, the main source of originality, are trying out new kinds of things with Mario, the water thing, and Zelda, the Cel Shading thing, but I feel that Nintendo alone cannot save us from the constant unoriginal, boring, unexciting games coming out every month.

This seems to me, that the gaming world is kind of losing its touch. The concept of the platformer, beat ‘em up, shoot’em up etc has become dated after so many people have tried to recreate the Mario games and Metroid games, and I feel that a whole new concept to gaming needs to replace the old one. Don’t get me wrong, I feel that game developers are still making great games, like the new Zelda and Mario, and like Smash Bros. Melee, and Sonic, and these are all great games with great characters in, but isn’t it time for a change. For me, these games characters will never be forgotten, and by the time I’m thirty, a game will still being made for them, but is it time, some totally new, original games, and games characters came out? I know that game developers have tried, and they haven’t come anywhere near what the original Mario game on the NES was like and even Mario and Zelda on the N64, but how do you think Shigsy came out with Mario and Zelda. But trying over again and again, but also he has imagination, which unfortunately some game developers just don’t have, and that is why we get the same thing over and over again, with the exception of new but old Nintendo games.

Especially, with the Next-Gen consoles out games are needed to make the console a success. This is where a console needs to have a good array of games to make sure that it’s going to be a success. But like I said, we’re basically seeing the same sort of games coming out. All right, for XBOX, their main games are Halo and maybe Project Gotham Racing. These games are not new in anyway way, shape or form. Halo is yet another Shooter and PGR is yet again another racing. Don’t get me wrong the Gamecube and PS2 have got these kinds of games as well, and they look absolutely amazing and they have a great gameplay value, but don’t you feel like something new is needed. Pikmin is a fine example of one man trying to make the gaming industry better and yes you guessed it, his name is Shigeru Miyamoto. Pikmin is a totally new and exciting concept, and I think that people will follow hi, in change the way the gaming industry is today.

But what should be happening in the ‘real’ gaming world. Well, in the perfect ‘gaming’ world, every game would have a new character, new concept and be totally original. Will we ever see what the ‘real’ gaming world should be like? Somehow, I don’t think so. If we ever see that, I’ll eat my hat! I think that the gaming industry that is here today is here to stay. Personally, I hope it does change one day, but it won’t change for a very long time. And even if it does, it going to change ever so slightly. We’re going to be in for a very, very, long wait.

Thanks for Reading.

Liquid
Mon 27/05/02 at 23:38
Regular
RM18 wrote:
> The Xbox controller isn't that bad. I think that people are being hard
> on them - Nintendo have designed loads of controllers, and this is
> Microsoft's first attempt. I think people forget that.

Ah, but they've been developing controllers for years! They've been a manufacturer of PC controllers (and Joysticks) for many a year now. Isn't the Sidewinder one of their more favoured controllers? (I don't know as I haven't bothered with controllers on my PC yet)
Mon 27/05/02 at 11:09
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Liquid H²O wrote:
> We are way ahead of our time, in the technology department. This gives
> us the opportunity to make some of the finest consoles ever, with some
> of the finest graphics and some brilliant gameplay, but should it be
> this way, with the same old things?

Surely, if we were WAY ahead of out time then the X-box would look like the original GameBoy in terms of specs when compared to the latest consoles, and phot-realism in the in-game graphics would be achieved.

I agree with you about the PC's though, they're surely the fastest developing machines in gaming. And yes, you're also right with your bit about Mario and Zelda being gods of gaming, and how their games ALWAYS come out ontop.

I don't reckon that the Gaming World is losing it's touch, but I know what you mean. When you look at how things have vastly improved from the NES to the Cube in just over a decade, you have to expect something similar in developments to come along soon.
But all the changes we do see are really quite minor, maybe only a slight tweak in the graphics from the past game.
Mon 27/05/02 at 07:06
Regular
The Xbox controller isn't that bad. I think that people are being hard on them - Nintendo have designed loads of controllers, and this is Microsoft's first attempt. I think people forget that.
Sun 26/05/02 at 12:20
Regular
"are you serious"
I agree that nintendo are the pace setters as far as innovation goes, and even that there is a form of originality in expanding the mushroom kingdom to bring us many more characters to enjoy but....
what is original really? pikmin i think for sure will be original but aside from this can u think of any truly original titles coming to us?
lots of resi this and zelda that but nothing truly original, but just try to think of something truly original yourself something completely new that would be feasable to create.........tough huh?
very few people are capable of actualy doing this of course miyamoto is one of these so while he is at nintendo we should see more innovation but money is generally what rules and we can all probably look foward to resi 24 in ten years time.

By the way gr8 post liquid
Sun 26/05/02 at 09:08
Regular
Yeah, I don't really like the PS2 controller, but I have only felt the Gamecube one a few times, so I don't want to comment, but one thing I do know is that the Xbox controller is so bad it's untrue.
Sat 25/05/02 at 20:48
Regular
Too true. Nintendo also come up with the decent hardware (rumble pak, 3-D stick etc) to make gaming better, and the others just copy. I remember playing on a playstation for the first time (the first console to really go 3-D) and I was playing...Croc I think, and you had to use a D-pad! Which just isn't suitable for 3-D movement. But did sony bother to think of a way of mking it work? No, they waited until Nintendo did, then copied it. In fact they stuck two 3-D sticks on, as if to say "Ours is better, we have two" Well it isn't. I hate the Ps controller, its s***. And they didn't even bother changing it for the PS2, lazy gits. This is why I hate the Playstation so much. No originality and they just can't be bothered.
Oh well, rant over.
Sat 25/05/02 at 15:48
Regular
I agree with you on the bit about Mario making loads of new characters. It's true, with the 'Jumpman', we wouldn't have Luigi, Wario, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Bowser and I'm sure a few more to. This just shows that Nintendo are the 'trend setters' of the gaming industry and others just follow and copy.
Sat 25/05/02 at 15:43
Regular
The thing with characters like Super Mario, and Link from the Legend of Zelda games is that they are so adaptable and are a way of introducing new characters and games, Super Mario games especially.

If it wasn't for Super Mario, we probably wouldn't have Yoshi starring in his own games, Wario starring in his own games and even Luigi having his own game! Shigeru Miyamoto is able to introduce new characters, game styles and innovations through the Mushroom Kingdom style of games.

Nintendo knows all about creating new characters, and in the days of the Nintendo Entertainment System and the Super NES, Nintendo created a lot of games with new characters that just didn't seem to do anywhere near as well as Mario and Zelda games. Nintendo has even used a stealth-like tactic to try and see which characters they can revamp by adding them into the game Super Smash Bros Melee, as either characters you can play as, beat up or even both! Others are just included as some of the award trophies you can win. I'm sure there will be polls set up to see which characters people prefer in this game.

Sonic is another character who's gone through a revival stage. When the Saturn was released, Sonic Team decided to try something new instead of Sonic, and released NiGHTS, and although that was probably one of the better games on the Saturn, the Saturn didn't last as long as SEGA could have hoped for in the market. That's why when the Dreamcast was released, Sonic Adventure was brought out, and later Sonic Adventure 2 which Sega have now released on the GameCube.

Crash Bandicoot is another of these characters that seems to be appearing everywhere over the years. He's even appearing on Nintendo's Game Boy Advance as well as starring in many games on the Playstation, PS2 and X-box. He hasn't become as successful as Sonic The Hedgehog or Mario have over the years, but is still a well recognised character.

Another example could be Lara Croft who's appeared on virtually all consoles except the N64 and GameCube (appeared on Game Boy Color twice). The only reason she became popular was because of her twig-like waist and her large, metamorphic bust (her breasts have changed size every game!). Male, hormonal teenagers like nothing better than to use their cheat cartridges to allow you to play as Lara Croft completely naked! And that's why the games became so popular.

The trouble with the games industry is that the gamers are afraid to try anything new. Link get's his own Cel-shaded game, and people are gobsmacked! They expected a photo-realistic game that showed every sweat pore on Link's face, but got quite the opposite. This doesn't make the game bad, infact I quite like the look of it, but because it's not the Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask they expected, then they're very skeptical about the whole thing.

That's why it's difficult to bring new ideas to the market. Many people have said that Pikmin looks crap, but they've not had a chance to play it yet! It's a new idea for a Nintendo game, whereas they wanted more Mario platform adventures, more 1080 Snowboarding and more of the same thing. They say they want something new, but when they get it they're first to complain and that's how it will always be.
Sat 25/05/02 at 15:03
Regular
We are way ahead of our time, in the technology department. This gives us the opportunity to make some of the finest consoles ever, with some of the finest graphics and some brilliant gameplay, but should it be this way, with the same old things?

Over the years, games and consoles have developed into something far superior to what anyone could of ever imagined. We now have PC’s that are faster than I could run, and game consoles that are able to portray life exactly like it is. But I feel that there is something wrong. In the old gaming world, where gaming was far less superior, than what it is now, and when they concentrated on actual gaming than making it as life like as they can, the gaming world would be a better place. A game like Tetris for example. The simplest concept by proved so effective. To be honest, people like Shigeru Miyamoto have revolutionised the way gaming is today, but coming up with the likes of games such as Zelda and Mario, and not just the game. These characters have become like people in themselves. They have been around for so long, in terms of the gaming industry, Mario more than Zelda, they have become like gods of the industry, where whenever a game comes out with them in, it seems it has to, and always is, very good.

But even with these characters still going strong in the world of gaming, it’s not enough to save it from its future downfall. Nintendo, the main source of originality, are trying out new kinds of things with Mario, the water thing, and Zelda, the Cel Shading thing, but I feel that Nintendo alone cannot save us from the constant unoriginal, boring, unexciting games coming out every month.

This seems to me, that the gaming world is kind of losing its touch. The concept of the platformer, beat ‘em up, shoot’em up etc has become dated after so many people have tried to recreate the Mario games and Metroid games, and I feel that a whole new concept to gaming needs to replace the old one. Don’t get me wrong, I feel that game developers are still making great games, like the new Zelda and Mario, and like Smash Bros. Melee, and Sonic, and these are all great games with great characters in, but isn’t it time for a change. For me, these games characters will never be forgotten, and by the time I’m thirty, a game will still being made for them, but is it time, some totally new, original games, and games characters came out? I know that game developers have tried, and they haven’t come anywhere near what the original Mario game on the NES was like and even Mario and Zelda on the N64, but how do you think Shigsy came out with Mario and Zelda. But trying over again and again, but also he has imagination, which unfortunately some game developers just don’t have, and that is why we get the same thing over and over again, with the exception of new but old Nintendo games.

Especially, with the Next-Gen consoles out games are needed to make the console a success. This is where a console needs to have a good array of games to make sure that it’s going to be a success. But like I said, we’re basically seeing the same sort of games coming out. All right, for XBOX, their main games are Halo and maybe Project Gotham Racing. These games are not new in anyway way, shape or form. Halo is yet another Shooter and PGR is yet again another racing. Don’t get me wrong the Gamecube and PS2 have got these kinds of games as well, and they look absolutely amazing and they have a great gameplay value, but don’t you feel like something new is needed. Pikmin is a fine example of one man trying to make the gaming industry better and yes you guessed it, his name is Shigeru Miyamoto. Pikmin is a totally new and exciting concept, and I think that people will follow hi, in change the way the gaming industry is today.

But what should be happening in the ‘real’ gaming world. Well, in the perfect ‘gaming’ world, every game would have a new character, new concept and be totally original. Will we ever see what the ‘real’ gaming world should be like? Somehow, I don’t think so. If we ever see that, I’ll eat my hat! I think that the gaming industry that is here today is here to stay. Personally, I hope it does change one day, but it won’t change for a very long time. And even if it does, it going to change ever so slightly. We’re going to be in for a very, very, long wait.

Thanks for Reading.

Liquid

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.