GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My time as a newbie......"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 25/05/02 at 12:09
Regular
Here's my story. After being a Special Reserve member for about 10 odd years now, you may be surprised to know that i only became a memebr of these forums five weeks ago. So what took me so long?

I thought that forums like the FOG would be no fun at all and would simply be a waste of my time. How wrong i was... A month down the line and i'm hooked. SR has everything: I can find out release dates for games, find out what peoples opinions are and get a general feeling of the direction in which the gaming industry is heading.

With free access to reviews as well as cheats, hints, walkthroughs, etc.. i have found that i see little point in continuing to purchase games magazines. (except for the free disc.)

Obviously which is better? To consult reviews by magazines who represent the opinion of one or two blokes who are probably paid off by producers to give good reviews to certain games, etc... Or to consult reviews by gamers themselves who always give their unbiased opinions. I always checkout SR's customer reviews before buying any game.

As my 'post-counter' lies at around the 290 mark, I can look ahead to being a regular and look back on my newbie-days with fond memories. Despite what some people say, i believe that as long as they post half-decent stuff, newbies are treated rather well.

I'd like to thank my fellow posters, especially 'Franny' who always has something to say. (usually in arguement) I'd also like to thank SR for the two GADs i won whilst being a Newbie.

Here's to the future!
Keep up the good work SR!

*raises glass and wipes tear from eye*

P.s. this post reflects my feelings. It is NOT a pure-GAD attempt! Of course if SR wish to send me a GAD.... ;)
Mon 27/05/02 at 16:19
Regular
".......on the attac"
Sorry about that. Damned uni servers....
Mon 27/05/02 at 16:19
Regular
".......on the attac"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> For me, hanging around these forums isn't about GAD attempts. When I
> first joined, I thought GAD was just one of these things that someone
> else always won. Winning one and never getting the chance to claim it
> did nothing to break this feeling down...

Why didn't you get the chance to claim it?
Mon 27/05/02 at 16:18
Regular
".......on the attac"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> For me, hanging around these forums isn't about GAD attempts. When I
> first joined, I thought GAD was just one of these things that someone
> else always won. Winning one and never getting the chance to claim it
> did nothing to break this feeling down...

Why didn't you get the chance to claim it?
Mon 27/05/02 at 15:55
"Darkness, always"
Lord Humungous wrote:
> One thing I am not too sure about on these forums is the banning. That
> Reynolds lad didn't really do much wrong and got banned. He even
> pleaded with SR and promised he wouldn't do it again. The SR staff
> seem to be a bit "ban-happy".

He was posting reviews in an effort to win prizes. His reviews were stolen from another site. He won a prize for one of his reviews. He deserved to go, he cheated SR out of a game, and everyone else out of their opportunity to win themselves.

IB
Mon 27/05/02 at 15:51
"Darkness, always"
For me, hanging around these forums isn't about GAD attempts. When I first joined, I thought GAD was just one of these things that someone else always won. Winning one and never getting the chance to claim it did nothing to break this feeling down...

I'm an argumentative git, but I enjoy the time here, and put my point of view down more for the sake of sharing it, than to win anything. If, every now and then, I do win something, that's a welcome bonus. SR's way of saying they appreciate me being here. It's good. These forums have one of the best atmosphere's without a great deal of spam that I've seen in any forum (except the stormtrooper make your own outfit ones, which are religiously well mannered, and spam-free - strange...).

Long live ukchatforums.co.uk

IB
Mon 27/05/02 at 15:45
Regular
".......on the attac"
doublezero wrote:
> I thought that forums like the FOG would be no fun at all and would
> simply be a waste of my time. How wrong i was... A month down the line
> and i'm hooked. SR has everything: I can find out release dates for
> games, find out what peoples opinions are and get a general feeling of
> the direction in which the gaming industry is heading.

I thought that and still do. These forums are a waste of my time as I can never be bothered to try and write a review or a post worthy of GAD. I keep coming back though, everyday.

One thing I am not too sure about on these forums is the banning. That Reynolds lad didn't really do much wrong and got banned. He even pleaded with SR and promised he wouldn't do it again. The SR staff seem to be a bit "ban-happy".

Oh well.....
Mon 27/05/02 at 13:39
Regular
"cant think of one.."
I am now a Regular.. HURRAH!
Sat 25/05/02 at 12:11
Regular
"That's right!"
Another good thing is that you can discuss a review with the kid (or old man, in Goatboy's case) who wrote it, as nearly everyone hangs around these forums. Ain't the SR forums great?
Sat 25/05/02 at 12:09
Regular
"cant think of one.."
Here's my story. After being a Special Reserve member for about 10 odd years now, you may be surprised to know that i only became a memebr of these forums five weeks ago. So what took me so long?

I thought that forums like the FOG would be no fun at all and would simply be a waste of my time. How wrong i was... A month down the line and i'm hooked. SR has everything: I can find out release dates for games, find out what peoples opinions are and get a general feeling of the direction in which the gaming industry is heading.

With free access to reviews as well as cheats, hints, walkthroughs, etc.. i have found that i see little point in continuing to purchase games magazines. (except for the free disc.)

Obviously which is better? To consult reviews by magazines who represent the opinion of one or two blokes who are probably paid off by producers to give good reviews to certain games, etc... Or to consult reviews by gamers themselves who always give their unbiased opinions. I always checkout SR's customer reviews before buying any game.

As my 'post-counter' lies at around the 290 mark, I can look ahead to being a regular and look back on my newbie-days with fond memories. Despite what some people say, i believe that as long as they post half-decent stuff, newbies are treated rather well.

I'd like to thank my fellow posters, especially 'Franny' who always has something to say. (usually in arguement) I'd also like to thank SR for the two GADs i won whilst being a Newbie.

Here's to the future!
Keep up the good work SR!

*raises glass and wipes tear from eye*

P.s. this post reflects my feelings. It is NOT a pure-GAD attempt! Of course if SR wish to send me a GAD.... ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.