GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Sound of Music....."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/05/02 at 11:27
Regular
Every game has its own music. The music in the game can often make you remember the game easier, as you relate it to the game. What is it about the music of a game that makes you remember it, what is its effect on you and the atmosphere of the game and how does the music prepare you for what happens in a game and what is happening at the moment of the music.

Many games often have catchy music, for example everyone would know the Shinra March from Final Fantasy 7, which also appeared in Final Fantasy 9. This piece of music is memorable because of its constant drumbeat and marching tones. It was also very intimidating and so you as your character feel scared of the Shinra, which was meant to happen. The music from games make you feel as if you are in the game and the sounds surround you and therefore you feel part of it.

Games have a variety of music in them; this gives atmosphere to what is happening at a certain moment in the game. For example the music could be a fast drum beat, to get your heart racing when there is a battle or fight, alternatively it could be a slow, soft and methodical symphony that softens the atmosphere when someone sleeps or a ‘good thing’ happens (this term is used loosely as it could be you winning a battle on a fantasy game, or a character achieving a goal.) This music gives you a sense of you actually interacting with the game. By this I mean that you feel as if the achievement, battle or whatever is actually happening to your character is happening to you as well. This is achieved by the game creating the music and then you feel drawn into the game, thus creating a feeling of you being there.

The music of a game also affects your mood. If you won a battle and celebratory music is played then you would feel good within yourself, whereas if someone died in an RPG, that was your friend in the game, then sad, death music is played. This would make you feel sad in yourself and so you feel for the characters that have lost their friend. This type of thing in a game is crucial for a game to succeed, as it makes the player feel more involved with the game.

Along with the music of a game the sounds also create various feelings and emotions. In the main the sound effects make the game more realistic. For example the grunts and noises of monsters make them seem ‘real’ as you can actually hear them and see what they are like at the same time, therefore it is better than just seeing them because you see them as ‘real’. Also engines in driving games create an effect that you are really driving the car, as you can control the revs and you can hear this in the engine, along with the horsepower, this creates a feeling that you are actually in control of the car.

So, the point of music is quite important in a game as it gives atmosphere, changes your mood, makes you remember the game, makes the game more realistic and lets you feel as if you are really submerged in it. Well, that’s what I think about the music of games, please say what music from games you remember and what you think makes the music important.

Thanks for reading
Matthen
Fri 24/05/02 at 16:04
Regular
"  "
Yer and Haryy Gregson Williams one of Hollywoods finest was used to do the metal gear renditions...it's a big business in it's own.
Fri 24/05/02 at 16:02
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Excellent topic, it's just a shame that newbies aren't allowed to post new topics in the Future of Gaming (Prime) room, which is made for in depth topics like this.

Music is an interesting tool in a game, and can be used in so many ways. It can create atmosphere- high tempo music creates a sense of panic for example.
It can communicate aspects to the game to you- sudden high pitch string music in Silent Hill makes you on edge, knowing that something is about to happen.
It can even be a key part of the game, as shown my Rez and Frequency.

Thankfully developers are thinking about music more and more- Shenmue and Final Fantasy use whole orchestras with professional conductors to get things right.

Good post!

Sonic
Fri 24/05/02 at 15:53
Regular
"Maybe........."
come on people, what are your views and comments, you must have something to say about the music of games
Fri 24/05/02 at 12:41
Regular
"  "
One of the key points of Final Fantasy i say. Up until now the sounds have been rather basic so therefore the music is deployed to give the sense of atmosphere. Rather than having all little creaks and atmospheric touches the game relies heavily on the gamer being influenced by the music. From creepy music in dungeons...to jolly musi in the towns.

Good post.
Fri 24/05/02 at 11:27
Regular
"Maybe........."
Every game has its own music. The music in the game can often make you remember the game easier, as you relate it to the game. What is it about the music of a game that makes you remember it, what is its effect on you and the atmosphere of the game and how does the music prepare you for what happens in a game and what is happening at the moment of the music.

Many games often have catchy music, for example everyone would know the Shinra March from Final Fantasy 7, which also appeared in Final Fantasy 9. This piece of music is memorable because of its constant drumbeat and marching tones. It was also very intimidating and so you as your character feel scared of the Shinra, which was meant to happen. The music from games make you feel as if you are in the game and the sounds surround you and therefore you feel part of it.

Games have a variety of music in them; this gives atmosphere to what is happening at a certain moment in the game. For example the music could be a fast drum beat, to get your heart racing when there is a battle or fight, alternatively it could be a slow, soft and methodical symphony that softens the atmosphere when someone sleeps or a ‘good thing’ happens (this term is used loosely as it could be you winning a battle on a fantasy game, or a character achieving a goal.) This music gives you a sense of you actually interacting with the game. By this I mean that you feel as if the achievement, battle or whatever is actually happening to your character is happening to you as well. This is achieved by the game creating the music and then you feel drawn into the game, thus creating a feeling of you being there.

The music of a game also affects your mood. If you won a battle and celebratory music is played then you would feel good within yourself, whereas if someone died in an RPG, that was your friend in the game, then sad, death music is played. This would make you feel sad in yourself and so you feel for the characters that have lost their friend. This type of thing in a game is crucial for a game to succeed, as it makes the player feel more involved with the game.

Along with the music of a game the sounds also create various feelings and emotions. In the main the sound effects make the game more realistic. For example the grunts and noises of monsters make them seem ‘real’ as you can actually hear them and see what they are like at the same time, therefore it is better than just seeing them because you see them as ‘real’. Also engines in driving games create an effect that you are really driving the car, as you can control the revs and you can hear this in the engine, along with the horsepower, this creates a feeling that you are actually in control of the car.

So, the point of music is quite important in a game as it gives atmosphere, changes your mood, makes you remember the game, makes the game more realistic and lets you feel as if you are really submerged in it. Well, that’s what I think about the music of games, please say what music from games you remember and what you think makes the music important.

Thanks for reading
Matthen

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.