GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You all think I'm biased against sony...I'm not."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/10/00 at 23:53
Regular
You all think I'm biased against sony...I'm not.

I know my posts subject title was childish (I'll admit that myself) but my post itself was meant to be informative. I just don't like the way people, who've never even played a Playstation2 before, believe that its the mutts nuts just because they own a Playstation and think sony's cool (I have this argument with a friend all the time, not mentioning any names Rumsey :O)).

You, the people in the PS" forum, seem to think I'm allied to Nintendo. Well your wrong again. If you search the X-Box forum you'll find that I've predicted that Microsoft will win the next-gen battle, not Nintendo and their "Gamecube". Weighing up the odds I just think the little nerd will win. I only buy what i think is good value for money. Thats why I bought a Nintendo64, for the good quality Nintendo and Rare games. And this might shock you all, but I also bought a Playstation. You cant get any better than a good night of playing the Final Fantasy's on the PS1, and even a go at the tomb raiders or tekkens can be incredible fun. I also admire how Sony jumped into the Gaming Industry, not knowing the outcome, and being successful. I just happen to think that this time they dont deserve to win.

M.
Wed 05/03/08 at 13:15
Regular
you guys really need to try it out its an awsome first person shooter.

http://files.filefront.com/Hellgate+London+Demo/;8828967;/fileinfo.html
theres the demo download site, if you like you can buy it right from the web site at http://www.hellgatelondon.com
Thu 02/11/00 at 18:32
Regular
If you've got the PC to run it, good graphics card, memory, processor, you know, it is worth it. The game is beautiful, but they don't use the Indiana Jones Theme tune hardly at all.

Monkey 4, I've got to buy that soon. :)
Wed 01/11/00 at 22:08
I dunno - TR2 was pretty cool.

I have all the TR games, cos I'm a Lara fan (sad at my age, I know...) but readily admit that they are wearing a bit thin.

Is the Indy game any good? I thought about it a while ago, and then forgot about it. Not sure I can afford it at the moment, though, as I've ordered Monkey Island 4 & C&C: Red Alert 2 on PC, and Driver 2 & Dino Crisis 2 on PlayStation - all in the last 2 days! Maybe I should put the Indy game on my Xmas wish-list?
Wed 01/11/00 at 20:34
Regular
I would like to remind the stricken jury that only the first Tomb Raider was any good.

Don't believe me? Play Indy and the Infernal Machine on PC or N64, soon.
Wed 01/11/00 at 18:13
Good point, but it is generally cheaper to upgrade your PC than buy a new console. I've had a PC for around 3 years and I've spend around £800 on it (including buying the damn thing!) And I can't find any software that won't run on it. The Games come cheaply and I find that short of setting the old Amiga up, no other platform offers the management sims of the PC. I'm yet to find a football Management game on a console worth playing, and I prefer playing Theme Park type games with mouse control. Also the offer of Emulators (ahem, not that I'd ever dream of using one) allows PC owners to play any game on any machine. Add to all that downloadable music and dvd movies and you don't just have a computer, you've got an entertainment system. Well, more or less. Plus playing over the net can be fun and the game Civilization is really enough of a reason to buy a PC (I know it's on some consoles but it's just not the same). I know that the PS 2 will be run for a few years, well worth buying at £300, but when the time comes for a PS 3 just stick to the PC.
Wed 01/11/00 at 16:50
We've all missed out on games we'd like to play, whatever console we own. The fact is, if you can't affod to buy all the consoles - which few people can - then you have to choose the one with the most games you want to play. There is no good or bad, right or wrong choice.

>Even a Playstation fan must be able to admitt that the
>PS has nothing to compare to Zelda, just as I admitt the
>N64 has nothing to compare to the FF series or the Tomb
>Raiders.

Hmm. I see what you're saying, but I'd disagree to an extent. We don't really need to admit anything. After all, if you're not into RPG's, then Zelda is no big deal. In the same way, if you're not into 3rd-person adventures, then Tomb Raider probably sucks.

I'd also tend to disagree about the PC being the future of games. While all technology quickly becomes obsolete, the PC is by far the worst offender. The PlayStation has been around for 5 years now, and is still going strong, only recently having been substantially surpassed.

In those 5 years, how many times have we had to upgrade to better graphics cards, faster CPU's, bigger HD's etc. to play the latest releases? I personally have spent upwards of £4000 on PC hardware in the last 5 years just to keep up. When it comes to games, the PC is a bottomless money pit.

Even now, if I want the best graphics on my PC, I need to find another £240 for the latest 3Dfx card or equivalent, and this is partly why I see PS2 as a bargain at £300, even if its lifespan is only half that of PS1.

While the PC is an excellent 'Jack of All Trades', it is really master of none. But this is just *my* opinion.
Wed 01/11/00 at 16:44
Regular
The Tombraiders?!
Wed 01/11/00 at 16:17
This was brought up a couple of posts ago but I'm gonna respond anyway. The competition being good thing, not from where I'm standing. It great in the fact that it lowers price, but that's were it turns into a nightmare. I own an N64 and not a Playstation, which means while I've enjoyed games such as Goldeneye and Mario64, I've missed out on playing classics such as FF7&8 and Tomb Raider to their full potential. That is to say I've played them in other people's homes and not really got into them. If there was only one console then all games would be avalible to everyone. And in my eyes that's a good thing. Even a Playstation fan must be able to admitt that the PS has nothing to compare to Zelda, just as I admitt the N64 has nothing to compare to the FF series or the Tomb Raiders. With the Next Gen' consoles on their way there will be more choice of machine than ever before, and probably even a few more truly great games to buy, but there will be less per machine, which will limit the enjoyment taken from machines. If you look back to the 16 bit era you'll see that you could have 60-70 great games for the machine, while now you're lucky to find 10 or 12. Will we reach the point where a machine only ever has one game made for it? 'Cause it feel like that's the way we're moving to me. Back to which Machine will be the best, I'll go for the PC, it's only a matter of time before Nintendo start releasing games for it, it's always more powerful than any console, and it offers a work station as well as a games machine. While the price is way higher for a PC I think it will be the only thing worth owning computer/console-wise in a few years. Looking at the immediate future and the nintedo Vs Sony thing going on, face it, both will be great and have great games, so which ever you buy you should be pretty damn happy with, but for the most games to choose from, I'd go for the X-box.
Sat 28/10/00 at 02:02
Of course you have the right to speak your mind, but it's how you speak it that determines the reaction you get.

People have slated the machine before playing it, and called it crap when they can't possibly know one way or the other. Others have quoted "evidence" that is either dubious or simply doesn't exist.

We've had so many posts on here along the lines of "It's crap cos it's by Sony. Sega/Nintendo rule" that it has become very tedious, and tempers are now short with anyone who makes such posts.

Resonable, intellgent discussion, along the line of "I don't think PS2 is very good because..." is much more likely to get a civil response, as long as it's based on facts about the machine, and not some claptrap rumour that the poster has read in a pro-Sega/Nintendo magazine or web site.

As for the limitations, I mean the limitations of the cartridge format, not the N64 itself. i.e. a CD is cheap to produce and can hold up to 650Mb of information, whereas a cartridge of similar capacity would be so expensive to market and sell as to make it unworkable. Titles such as football games can never have the same amount or quality of commentary speech - that sort of thing.
Sat 28/10/00 at 01:31
But thats what these disscussion forums are here for right? It doesn't say anywhere that you can only post on the PS2 forum if you support the PS2 does it? Well then I'm entitled to my opinions without being slandered by people who don't like my views.

Your right on the fact that because the competition is healthy we will benefit. Due to more and more companies jumping on the gaming bandwagon games have to play better, look better, and sound better to be sold to a mass market.

As for the n64 thing...I've never paid moe than £50 for an n64 game (stil not cheap I know) but alot of n64 games now are being released at cheaper prices so things aren't too bad now. Its just a shame that its nearly the end of the n64. As for limitations what are these you speak of?

M.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.