GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Keane Sent Home"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/05/02 at 12:17
Regular
From Sky...

Roy Keane is believed to have been sent home from the World Cup following his criticism of the Republic of Ireland's preparations, according to the Press Association.

The Republic and Manchester United skipper pulled out of the squad on Tuesday only to have a change of heart.

Earlier today Keane announced his retirement from international football after the World Cup - then launched a blistering attack on the Republic's preparations for the finals.

Keane criticised McCarthy's decision to bring his 23-man squad to the Western Pacific island of Saipan to acclimatise ahead of the tournament in Korea and Japan.

The 30-year-old midfielder attacked the 17-hour flight to get to Saipan and blasted the training conditions.

He told The Irish Times: "I spoke to the manager and I'll stick it out till after the World Cup and that will be it for me. Without a doubt."

Irish officials have called a press conference for later today.
Thu 23/05/02 at 22:03
The thing is that McCarthy didn't even want to take him back the other day and had to be talked into it then. I doubt if it took too much to provoke him into sending him home this time.

As usual we don't know if we're getting the whole story but what surprised me are direct quotes from people like Steve Staunton saying that he was completely shocked by Keane's level of verbal abuse. Sounds like it really kicked off and not for the first time.
Thu 23/05/02 at 18:05
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
He asked to leave and go home a few days ago and then at the last minute decided he would stay.
I just don't see how sending him home sorts anything unless it is all staged to allow him to go home without looking like he wanted to go home.

There are probably a number of reasons and we are only getting the press's views and one side of the arguement. Suppose if he didn't want to be there for injury or family reasons then he will do what he wants and feel is best for him.
Thu 23/05/02 at 16:27
Regular
A few other factors have to be taken into consideration before us all slating him.

The Facilities that the Irish are using seem to be pretty poor.

He is missing his family...He is a family man with 3 kids...

Is he even fully fit? He was bought back rathr quickly after he done his hamstring in against Deportivo and maybe the pressure of the World cup could have been too much for him.
Thu 23/05/02 at 16:21
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Stupid Git
Thu 23/05/02 at 16:19
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Grumpy fool.
Thu 23/05/02 at 13:49
Regular
"simpsons rule"
Craw wrote:
> Welll it looks like things have escalated a little further now..

it certanly does if he has been sent home
Thu 23/05/02 at 13:43
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Welll it looks like things have escalated a little further now..
Thu 23/05/02 at 13:41
Regular
"simpsons rule"
i thought he was playing in the world cup then finshing internationl fooball didnt relise he had been sent home
Thu 23/05/02 at 13:36
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Irish soccer captain Roy Keane has been sent home from the World Cup after launching a blistering attack on his team's preparations.

The Manchester United skipper is set to fly home from Japan after his outspoken criticism of the Football Association of Ireland.

The 30-year-old midfield star blasted training conditions and attacked the plans to help the team acclimatise ahead of the tournament.

And it now seems that Keane will never play another game for his country - he had already announced his retirement from the national side after the World Cup.

Pulled out

Keane pulled out of the squad on Tuesday only to have a change of heart - but his part in Ireland's World Cup effort is now over.

At a press conference, the Football Association of Ireland's John Byrne confirmed that Keane had been sent home.

The catalyst to the whole affair was a training ground bust-up between Keane and Irish goalkeeping coach Packie Bonner on Tuesday.

After the row Keane was ready to leave the Irish training camp on the Pacific island of Saipan.

Irish coach Mick McCarthy, who had called up Celtic's Colin Healy as a replacement, is believed to have been prepared to let him go.
Thu 23/05/02 at 13:34
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Believe what you want its true.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.