GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Cycle of Gameplay™"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/05/02 at 11:12
Regular
The Godfather of gaming, Shigeru Miyamoto, recently said in an interview about the new Zelda game, responding to criticism of the new cel shaded style, that “talking about games is part of the gameplay these days”. At first I dismissed that comment as, well to be honest, stupid. How can talking about games be part of gameplay? After sitting down and pondering this thought for a moment, I realised why Miyamoto is one of the best, if not the best, games developers in the world, and why I’m not. But I’m no dummy (no really, I’m not), and I decided to use this idea to incorporate it into my latest post, which you are currently reading.

To me, gaming and everything it stands for should be an experience – you can look at games on a superficial level as a short term arcadey ‘fix’, or a simple alternative medium to other forms of entertainment. Games are more engrossing than films and more involving than listening to your favourite CD, because you can actually involve yourself with them to a higher degree than the others. Sceptics - like my parents - often look at gaming as a waste of time (almost blasphemous, I know), when, and I quote, I ‘could be doing something useful with my time’. Huh! Do me a favour - like what? Oh crap…A level revision!!

*runs off*

Only kidding…about revising that is. But if you look at gaming as an experience, you will realise that there is a lot more to games than just sitting in front of a TV screen with a controller in your hand. Oh no – the anticipation, the build up, the wait – this in itself is a very important part of gameplay. And that is why, my friends, I have decided to compile what I call the Cycle of Gameplay™ - the stages of excitement and expectation as we wait for our favourite games.

We are in a period, currently speaking, of the first part in the Cycle of Gameplay™ - the Electronics Entertainment Expo (that’s E3 to most of us). To me, this is one of the most important parts in the gaming calendar. New games are shown, shocking announcements are made, and we (well, the lucky magazine writers) can get our mitts on our most wanted games for the very first time. This is the first stage of gameplay – we ogle over the screen shots (from Upwire.com of course!), download the latest videos of the web and marvel at the superb graphics. We see the games on our very screens and we want to play them.

But we can’t. So we what do we do – we enter the second phase of the Cycle of Gameplay™…we talk about them! That’s why we are on these forums, isn’t it? The chance to talk about our favourite games, our expectations for the latest releases, what we would like to see included, what we would like to see discarded, etc. This has been proven by the internet backlash over ‘Celda’. Well, I’d like to say that, judging from the latest E3 video, that any dissenters will be eating humble pie very very soon. One aspect of this pre-gameplay I particularly enjoy is the speculation of what might be included, whether so and so will crop up and make an appearance – all these things add to the enjoyment, but unfortunately they heighten our expectations as well.

So onto the next stage of the Cycle Of Gameplay™ - playing the game itself. We’ve gone to the shop, sent an email and/or posted our mail order (depending on how dedicated you really are) and on the day of release the brand new spanking game arrives at your doorstep, neatly wrapped and waiting to be played. And how we play. Anxious to reach the next level, staring in astonishment at the drop dead gorgeous graphics, all your senses being bombarded. This is the only stage where you actually play the game, and is undeniably the most important. Your expectations are either realised or shattered. You would think be the last stage in the cycle, right? Wrong.

We talk again. Either back on the forums or with your mates (if you have any left after your social life has been destroyed by your new game!), you talk about the game, you want to share the experience, chat about its nuances and foibles. The gameplay still continues – you’ve stopped playing, but you are desperate to enjoy it with others, debate about the good and bad points, maybe even discuss what you want in the sequel! All these things are part of what I call the Cycle of Gameplay™!

Brought to you courtesy of RM18…hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Sun 26/05/02 at 17:50
Regular
"Hmmm....."
eeerrrr..... hurray I suppose......
:D

I must do some French homework now....
Sun 26/05/02 at 17:48
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
You win a fun filled day out with your best friend Reynolds...!

You will wine and dine at the Harrods 5 star Hotel..

then you will be taken away in our limosine to UGC cinema and have the opportunity of watching a film of your choice..

Sun 26/05/02 at 17:44
Regular
"Hmmm....."
AbsoluT Neó wrote:
> ...and the great impersonation of a ex-sony member goes to...
>
> ta-da...
>
> Hercules!

-----

Hurray!
What do I win?
Sun 26/05/02 at 17:43
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Hercules! wrote:
> *cough*
>
> That was a joke by the way, for all that didnt get it.....
>
> :D

So you are saying that RM18s post was crap?

:c)
Sun 26/05/02 at 17:41
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
...and the great impersonation of a ex-sony member goes to...

ta-da...

Hercules!
Sun 26/05/02 at 17:39
Regular
"Hmmm....."
*cough*

That was a joke by the way, for all that didnt get it.....

Sun 26/05/02 at 17:38
Regular
"Hmmm....."
This post was exellent.
Sun 26/05/02 at 17:36
Regular
Typical imagination from our buddy FOOTBALL GOD
Sun 26/05/02 at 16:26
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
®eynolds wrote:
>*exellent* post mate

football god wrote:
>i enjoyed reading this *exellent* post

Heh, Dead give away.
Sun 26/05/02 at 15:27
Regular
"A man with a stick"
What a great post, I like it because it’s so true.

I'm always trying to get my brother to play games I like because I think their brilliant to play. He’s not always in the mood to though, but I just always have to tell someone about the great gaming experience I've had.

If a game doesn't make you feel like that, them I'd consider it a failure.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.