GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"roy keane to quit international football after the world cup"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/05/02 at 10:05
Regular
taken from ntl:world

Roy Keane is to quit international football after the World Cup.

After announcing his decision he launched a blistering attack on the Republic of Ireland's preparations for the finals.

The Manchester United and Republic skipper criticised manager Mick McCarthy's decision to bring his 23-man squad to the Western Pacific island of Saipan to acclimatise ahead of the tournament in Korea and Japan.

Keane attacked the 17-hour flight to get to Saipan and blasted the training conditions.

"I spoke to the manager and I'll stick it out till after the World Cup and that will be it for me. Without a doubt," he told www.ireland.com.

Keane also confessed he had previously had no intention to quit after the World Cup, but that circumstances had forced his hand.

He added: "I was definitely going to the European Championships in 2004. Without a doubt. Maybe no friendly internationals but .... it gets harder, no matter what you are doing. That's all. I had no intentions of quitting.

"I do love the 90 minutes, it's the rest of the crap. I'm sure the other players love their kids, but I can't worry about the other players. I have to worry about me.

"I travel a lot, I have four kids. I miss them. Everyone is different. All I can do is look after me and my family. The European Championships would have been my swansong. It's just come early."

Keane described his frustration with a number of issues surrounding the World Cup trip, and insisted his gripe with training facilities in Saipan was just "the tip of the iceberg".

He added: "I've come over here to do well and I want people around me to want to do well. If I feel we're not all wanting the same things, there's no point. It's been going on a while.

"It's the whole fact of being away. Maybe I should be okay with it, but enough is enough.

"I'm banging my head against a brick wall regarding certain issues about this trip. From the training facilities to all sorts. This trip is the tip of the iceberg.

"You've seen the training pitch and I'm not being a primadonna. Training pitch, travel arrangements, getting through the bloody airport when we were leaving, it's the combination of things. I would never say 'that's the reason or this is the reason', but enough is enough," Keane added.

Keane was unhappy about the long-haul flight to Saipan, commenting: "It's different if we came here to a top training facility. The hotel is fine, but we've come here to work. You wonder why players get injured? Well, playing on a surface like that.

"I can't imagine any other country, countries in the world who are far worse off than us, playing on something like that. I don't think it's too much to ask, just for a pitch that's even watered. It's so dangerous. It's rock hard.

"One or two of the lads have picked up injuries. I'm amazed there hasn't been more but give it time. But you know, we're the Irish team, it's a laugh and a joke. We shouldn't expect too much."
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 23/05/02 at 10:05
Regular
"simpsons rule"
taken from ntl:world

Roy Keane is to quit international football after the World Cup.

After announcing his decision he launched a blistering attack on the Republic of Ireland's preparations for the finals.

The Manchester United and Republic skipper criticised manager Mick McCarthy's decision to bring his 23-man squad to the Western Pacific island of Saipan to acclimatise ahead of the tournament in Korea and Japan.

Keane attacked the 17-hour flight to get to Saipan and blasted the training conditions.

"I spoke to the manager and I'll stick it out till after the World Cup and that will be it for me. Without a doubt," he told www.ireland.com.

Keane also confessed he had previously had no intention to quit after the World Cup, but that circumstances had forced his hand.

He added: "I was definitely going to the European Championships in 2004. Without a doubt. Maybe no friendly internationals but .... it gets harder, no matter what you are doing. That's all. I had no intentions of quitting.

"I do love the 90 minutes, it's the rest of the crap. I'm sure the other players love their kids, but I can't worry about the other players. I have to worry about me.

"I travel a lot, I have four kids. I miss them. Everyone is different. All I can do is look after me and my family. The European Championships would have been my swansong. It's just come early."

Keane described his frustration with a number of issues surrounding the World Cup trip, and insisted his gripe with training facilities in Saipan was just "the tip of the iceberg".

He added: "I've come over here to do well and I want people around me to want to do well. If I feel we're not all wanting the same things, there's no point. It's been going on a while.

"It's the whole fact of being away. Maybe I should be okay with it, but enough is enough.

"I'm banging my head against a brick wall regarding certain issues about this trip. From the training facilities to all sorts. This trip is the tip of the iceberg.

"You've seen the training pitch and I'm not being a primadonna. Training pitch, travel arrangements, getting through the bloody airport when we were leaving, it's the combination of things. I would never say 'that's the reason or this is the reason', but enough is enough," Keane added.

Keane was unhappy about the long-haul flight to Saipan, commenting: "It's different if we came here to a top training facility. The hotel is fine, but we've come here to work. You wonder why players get injured? Well, playing on a surface like that.

"I can't imagine any other country, countries in the world who are far worse off than us, playing on something like that. I don't think it's too much to ask, just for a pitch that's even watered. It's so dangerous. It's rock hard.

"One or two of the lads have picked up injuries. I'm amazed there hasn't been more but give it time. But you know, we're the Irish team, it's a laugh and a joke. We shouldn't expect too much."

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.