GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fox hunting-my opinion"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/05/02 at 21:05
Regular
I wasn't sure whether I should post it here, but it's a bit political so I hope you read it and post about it thoughfully.

Can you imagine running through fields, ducking and diving through fences and hedges. You get caught in a fence, you want to give up, you’re too tired but you have to carry on, the hounds are pursuing you and you now feel their hot, bloodthirsty breath down your neck. Can you imagine thinking that today is your last day, knowing that if you find a burrow you will be on your own in the cold or not making it at all, knowing that you’ll die, not a nice thought, is it?
Is that the way you want to die?

Fox hunting is a cruel sport, lots of animals suffer and so does the environment. Bloodhounds get shot after 6 seasons because they are thought of as old and too much of a burden for the other hunters and dogs. I’ve heard from some crackpot that a Bloodhound bite will paralyse a Fox or kill it, if that’s so, why do the Foxes sequel and try to wriggle free? Foxes have a right to live and eat, it’s just bad luck that they choose to eat farm animals. If a Fox does survive the hunt if they were just shot and got away, the part of the body that was shot or wounded would turn into gangrene and the Fox would starve because of it and would most certainly die. Have you ever seen a picture or the remains of a Fox after dogs have savaged it, would you find it terrible? Well I have seen one and I found it very unpleasant.

Can you imagine going out of buisness because of a stupid law passed by parliament and all your livestock killed by one small, red animal, protected by law. And you know that you can't do anything about it or you'll be condemed to share a cell with a muderer, or maybe a drug addict going through withdrawl. Well, it's not a nice thought, is it?

If you look at it another way, people would lose their jobs if Fox hunting was banned altogether, dogs would have to be killed, horses might be killed or sold to horrible people, which is worse then death I believe. Certain MPs are against it, most are in Labour and I just think that they should ban hunting with dogs, people need something to do in their spare time and they need to control Fox numbers. If we just moved them, their numbers would multiply outwards and other Farmers would lose money and livestock, who would they blame? If Fox hunting was banned, there would be riots for sure, innocent people will suffer due to angry people and Labour would have another problem to deal with. Labour have enough to sort out and they can’t afford to use their time on a sport which could just be replaced with guns but Labour have to find difficult way around it.

My opinion: I don’t mind Fox hunting, I just think that they should just use guns and not the Dogs, but where would the Dogs go? They couldn’t be given to people as pets, they were bred to kill animals and it’s too risky for the owners. That’s the only problem we need to sort out about Fox hunting I think.
Wed 22/05/02 at 21:05
I wasn't sure whether I should post it here, but it's a bit political so I hope you read it and post about it thoughfully.

Can you imagine running through fields, ducking and diving through fences and hedges. You get caught in a fence, you want to give up, you’re too tired but you have to carry on, the hounds are pursuing you and you now feel their hot, bloodthirsty breath down your neck. Can you imagine thinking that today is your last day, knowing that if you find a burrow you will be on your own in the cold or not making it at all, knowing that you’ll die, not a nice thought, is it?
Is that the way you want to die?

Fox hunting is a cruel sport, lots of animals suffer and so does the environment. Bloodhounds get shot after 6 seasons because they are thought of as old and too much of a burden for the other hunters and dogs. I’ve heard from some crackpot that a Bloodhound bite will paralyse a Fox or kill it, if that’s so, why do the Foxes sequel and try to wriggle free? Foxes have a right to live and eat, it’s just bad luck that they choose to eat farm animals. If a Fox does survive the hunt if they were just shot and got away, the part of the body that was shot or wounded would turn into gangrene and the Fox would starve because of it and would most certainly die. Have you ever seen a picture or the remains of a Fox after dogs have savaged it, would you find it terrible? Well I have seen one and I found it very unpleasant.

Can you imagine going out of buisness because of a stupid law passed by parliament and all your livestock killed by one small, red animal, protected by law. And you know that you can't do anything about it or you'll be condemed to share a cell with a muderer, or maybe a drug addict going through withdrawl. Well, it's not a nice thought, is it?

If you look at it another way, people would lose their jobs if Fox hunting was banned altogether, dogs would have to be killed, horses might be killed or sold to horrible people, which is worse then death I believe. Certain MPs are against it, most are in Labour and I just think that they should ban hunting with dogs, people need something to do in their spare time and they need to control Fox numbers. If we just moved them, their numbers would multiply outwards and other Farmers would lose money and livestock, who would they blame? If Fox hunting was banned, there would be riots for sure, innocent people will suffer due to angry people and Labour would have another problem to deal with. Labour have enough to sort out and they can’t afford to use their time on a sport which could just be replaced with guns but Labour have to find difficult way around it.

My opinion: I don’t mind Fox hunting, I just think that they should just use guns and not the Dogs, but where would the Dogs go? They couldn’t be given to people as pets, they were bred to kill animals and it’s too risky for the owners. That’s the only problem we need to sort out about Fox hunting I think.
Wed 22/05/02 at 21:11
Regular
"You've upset me"
Good post. I'd liek to point out though that animals don't think like us. They wouldn't be thinking "Todayt is my last day" they'd be thinking "run, run!"

The biggest mistake humans make is applying our emotions to animals - Some vet a few years ago.
Wed 22/05/02 at 21:11
Regular
Great post Hedge. I think they done something like this a few years back. They tried banning the 'sport', yet people like Prince Charles, who does Fox hunting, were still doing it. So they stopped the ban. I think you're right, it's cruel, and should be banned altogether. Either way, animal lovers will lose. The dogs would be killed if the 'game' was banned. It's a discrimination.
Wed 22/05/02 at 21:18
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Interesting, well said Little Hedge.
Wed 22/05/02 at 21:19
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
As a city slicker, I'll be honest in saying that I'm not in any position to judge fox hunting- something inner city MPs seem to ignore.

Good, well balanced topic hedgehog. Kepp them up!

Sonic
Wed 22/05/02 at 21:36
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
I wrote this last year...

It's very biased, but it probably gives you the viewpoint of your average media-brainwashed 13/14 year old

Fox hunting has been a part of the British countryside for over 250 years. For some people the hunt is as much a tradition as Christmas is for you or me. For many others though, it is viewed as cruel, unjustified, and unnecessary. Both are valid views, but first take a look at the main arguments of foxhunters.

Point 1 – Fox Hunting is needed to keep down fox numbers. They say that foxes kill lambs, chickens, and other birds. When examined, this is pretty much rubbish. Foxes will indeed kill chickens, but there are very few other birds that are still free range. The small amount that are could be protected by some sort of fence or wall. Lambs are killed by foxes, but rarely. Foxes kill 1 out of 200 lambs, while between 30-50 are killed under-nourishment and cold. If a farmer is having problems with a particular fox, he could simply kill the fox with a gun. The RSPCA say that foxes are blamed for the death of lambs because lamb bones are found in their dens. What often happens is that a fox will find a dead lamb, bring it back to their dens, and eat it. The bones are then found by farmers.

Naturlists say that around half a million foxes will be around in a year. Of these, it is estimated that 300,000 will be killed. 100,000 will be shot, another 100K will be snared, and just 12,000 by fox-hunting. This shows that numbers are not really kept down by fox-hunting – about 1 in 30 foxes die from fox-hunting.

If fox-hunting was primarily used to keep fox-numbers down, a different type of hound would be used. The current hounds are bred for stamina, not pace. If the hounds were bred for acceleration they could eaisily catch a fox in seconds, meaning every hunt would be sucsessful. The current success is about 30 %, according to the BFFS (British Field Sport Socity) But a quick hunt wouldn’t be fun for the hunters, would it?

One last thing - the official line says it all. The Minestry of Agriculture says that ‘It is estimated that the loss of lambs to foxes does not consitiute a loss of econmic significane to the farming community nationaly’.

Point 2 – Foxhunters claim that if foxhunting were abolished, many people would lose their jobs. These include hunt-masters, hound breeders, and stable boys. In fact, the BFSS states that ‘Most people in the countryside would lose at least part of their livelihood if the hunt was ended’. This is, in part, true. Although many of these people would still have other incomes, the BFSS thinks that countryside folk would lose 60% of their income. The BFSS also thinks thousands of people would lose their jobs completely. The RSPCA argues that these figures are hugely exaggerated, but it cannot be denied that many people would be unemployed if foxhunting was ended.

Point 3 – Foxhunters are of the opinion that fox – hunting helps conserve the British countryside. Via e-mail, a member of the BFSS stated ‘some of us own lots of land in order to find a fox. The hunt preserves this lands natural beauty’. This member actually compromises the group in source 1. This is because if they need a lot of land to find a fox, there can’t be that many foxes at all!

Overview – Foxhunters generally don’t have much on their side. The only real argument that they have is the unemployment issue, which is admittedly a big one.
Wed 22/05/02 at 22:53
Regular
"Here I am - TAKE ME"
The hounds often end up killing more than just the fox. Farmer up the road from me had his pregnant cat ripped apart by a pack of hounds. We lock our cats in now when the hunt comes around.

I think it would be far more fun to lock a huntsman in a room with a knife and a severedly p1ssed off fox. That would be a great spectator sport. If the huntsman wins, stick in two foxes and so on. Kill ten and you get a spear, if it gets him, then in goes the next huntsman!

Now that's equal oppertunities.
Wed 22/05/02 at 23:16
"High polygon count"
Little Hedgehog wrote:
> I just think that they should just use guns and not the Dogs

It's no different.

There was an article on our local news about a month ago. A team were out with a hunter using a gun. He shot a fox, but didn't kill it - only injured it.

They showed it, lying there - looking up at the hunter, terrified.

The reporter then said that they couldn't show what happened next, because - and I quote - "he didn't want to waste another bullet to finish it off, so he kicked it to death."

These "people" are vile, disgusting creatures who deserve to be hunted down and killed themselves.

They say that banning hunting would put people out of work, result in a rise in chickens killed by foxes, etc.

If that's the case, then how come no-one lost their job during the foot and mouth crisis when the countryside was closed to hunting? How come there was no sharp rise in the 'destruction' foxes caused?

It's all nonsense from them. Over-priviledged toffs with nothing better to do than chase a defenceless animal down and kill it. Barbarism of the highest order from people who would have you believe that they're better educated than you. And all in the name of 'sport'. Sorry, but I thought 'sport' meant that your opponent stood a chance.

Foxes don't carry keys, and if they're getting into chicken coups, then the coups are inadequate. Deal with it by improving the coups.

String up the hunters, shoot the dogs, and put the horses out to stud.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.