GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"gamecube sucks or stinks or something like that"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/05/02 at 20:51
Regular
why do you guys do this, i mean posting on the xbox forum just to skit it what is the point in that why don't you just enjoy your own if there was no nintendo sony or sega you all would be lovein the xbox because you no it is good just think it like this all consoles are good so don't come on our fourm unless you are going to make a point or somethin

love ya all loads
Thu 23/05/02 at 11:06
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
We sure have come a long way from the days of the paddle and the Kemptson joystick. I remember playing Pong on my Dad's old Binatone with the orange-paddle.

As far as I am aware, Microsoft are releasing the Japanese XBox pad in the States and over here in Europe under a different guise I believe.
Thu 23/05/02 at 11:02
The one-handed controller I was talking about was a third-party one that was released in Japan specifically for RPGs. The original Japanese Nintendo-issued SNES pad was (I think) the same as the one that came out here (or at least in the US, button colours aside).

With the advent of 3D environments (and analogue controllers), each genre became more specific in its requirements, so we should see an increase in genre-specific controllers. Still, we've come a long way since "Pong" paddles.

Now, I have heard (though can't say whether it's true or not) that the smaller Xbox controllers will be released in the American and European markets.
Thu 23/05/02 at 10:20
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
LordKain wrote:
> Have to disagree there. Whilst the GC control-pad fits snuggly into
> one's grip, certain gaming genres just wouldn't work with it's
> layout.
>
> My initial comment was to do with Microsoft's production of
> "bloatware" software, and relating it to the size of the
> Xbox unit and controller.
>
> I agree with your comments that not one size/shape fits all for all
> gaming genres. But, this is where good (possibly third-party)
> controllers come into play. As an RPG addict, my favourite controller
> is the old Japanese-import one-handed controller for the SNES. But
> even then, this controller, which was almost like a little ball (which
> had the D-pad as well as the L/R shoulder buttons on the top, and the
> ABXY buttons on the bottom), was completely inadequate for the likes
> of Street Fighter II.

I've not actually seen the old Japanese SNES control-pad. But I did find the original revision of the pad quite comfortable for pretty much any title I popped into the console - Mana, Street Fighter, Super Star Wars, Stunt Race FX. No problems at all.

But in those days, the analog-stick wasn't around since the consoles during that time could only deal with a pseudo 3D environment. It wasn't until the Saturn/Nintendo 64 era, that the addition of an analog stick became a requirement, especially for developers who wanted players to fully realise the real-time 3D environments.

I do agree with your XBox view with regards to the controller design. It can feel bloated to some, especially after a prolonged gaming session. It was one of the fundamental reasons why I opted to import another controller.

With the expanding versatile catalogue of games for the GameCube, it's going to be interesting to see what the third-parties can come up with, that Nintendo didn't to cater for certain genres.
Thu 23/05/02 at 10:10
BLD wrote:
> This is a good one:
> "Unable to De-frag hard drive as an error occured, to locate
> problem start scan-disk"
> So, i run scan disk.
> "Scan disk finished, no problems detected!!!"
> Well b*gger me!!!

[blank lines in original post removed]

Ok, before this gets silly and more irrelevant, I'm moving this discussion thread to the Microsoft - Xbox & Windows forum, in a thread called Favourite Windows Errors
Thu 23/05/02 at 10:05
> Have to disagree there. Whilst the GC control-pad fits snuggly into
> one's grip, certain gaming genres just wouldn't work with it's layout.

My initial comment was to do with Microsoft's production of "bloatware" software, and relating it to the size of the Xbox unit and controller.

I agree with your comments that not one size/shape fits all for all gaming genres. But, this is where good (possibly third-party) controllers come into play. As an RPG addict, my favourite controller is the old Japanese-import one-handed controller for the SNES. But even then, this controller, which was almost like a little ball (which had the D-pad as well as the L/R shoulder buttons on the top, and the ABXY buttons on the bottom), was completely inadequate for the likes of Street Fighter II.
Thu 23/05/02 at 09:48
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
LordKain wrote:

> Nothing wrong with the GC, it's a well-built machine, with a very
> well-thought-out controller design. The Xbox and its controller are
> bloated, like everything else that comes out of the Borg of Redmond
> sweatshops.

Have to disagree there. Whilst the GC control-pad fits snuggly into one's grip, certain gaming genres just wouldn't work with it's layout.

The original revision of the XBox control-pad is quite "chunky". Although I don't personally have a problem with it, since I use an imported Japanese XBox control-pad.
Thu 23/05/02 at 09:46
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
LordKain wrote:

> Nothing wrong with the GC, it's a well-built machine, with a very
> well-thought-out controller design. The Xbox and its controller are
> bloated, like everything else that comes out of the Borg of Redmond
> sweatshops.

Have to disagree there. Whilst the GC control-pad fits snuggly into one's grip, certain gaming genres just wouldn't work with it's layout.

The original revision of the XBox control-pad is quite "chunky". Although I don't personally have a problem with it, since I use an imported Japanese XBox control-pad.
Thu 23/05/02 at 00:25
Regular
all consoles are good wrote:
> why do you guys do this, i mean posting on the xbox forum just to skit
> it

I don't and haven't.

what is the point in that

You tell me!

why don't you just enjoy your own

Because I'd rather enjoy the GameCube .

if there was no nintendo sony or sega you all would be lovein the xbox

I promise you, I wouldn't.

> because you no it is good

I 'know' (emphasis on the silent 'k' and 'w') it's not good. After playing one, I don't like it. I still don't go hurling abuse at others who do like it though.

just think it like this all consoles are
> good

Ah, but they are not! If they were all good, there's be no competition and sales would be equal.

so don't come on our fourm

I thought it was Tony's forum? (owner of Special Reserve)

unless you are going to make a point
> or somethin

You made a real good point here. I had to add the punctuation myself! And I had to ignore the fact that you claim to be a telepath and can read our minds!
Wed 22/05/02 at 22:59
This is a good one:

"Unable to De-frag hard drive as an error occured, to locate problem start scan-disk"

So, i run scan disk.

"Scan disk finished, no problems detected!!!"

Well b*gger me!!!
Wed 22/05/02 at 22:53
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
'Windows is unable to detact a keyboard, press F1 to continue or F2 to quit'

or

'This aplication has performed an illegal immigrant and will be shut down'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.