GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Renting Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/05/02 at 20:06
Regular
Do you play before you pay? Games have been getting more and more expensive at time goes on, so you always want to get your money’s worth for a game that you want to buy. If shops were to let you ‘play before pay’ I think it would be a good way to get people playing different games and then, that might lead on to the actual people buying them.

Take a sports game for example. If you go to a video shop and rent out a game to see what it’s like, eventually you might end up buying it. I think this is a good way for you to test out the latest games, so you know for definite that you’re getting your moneys worth. And it doesn’t have to be a video shop. What if the games shops started renting out games to potential buyers? It could basically be like a video shop, but they had a lot more variety to what they rent out.

I suppose Arcades already do this but only for certain games. The Virtua series, for instance, Virtua Striker, Virtua Tennis, and so on, but this only works to a certain extent. It’s okay if you want to play Virtua Striker because it’s going to be the same if you brought it, but if you went and played House of the Dead for instance, you could fall into the trap of thinking it’s a great game, because of the gun and the size of the screen, but also that you only get about a minute of it, so for that minute, you could think the game is great when really after a few hours of enjoyment, you get totally bored with it, and that’s my point. If you paid for a game just to rent it out, you would get to know it, and you would get to play it properly, which in turn, would help you decide whether you want it or not. That’s one of the advantages of ‘paying before your playing.’

Of course, it doesn’t work with all games. It kind of ruins it with Adventure games or RPG games as if you get to far, it spoils your enjoyment of when you get to a particular point, and you have to take the game back, if you do decide to buy it, you have to go through the bit you played, again.
Wed 22/05/02 at 19:26
Regular
"simpsons rule"
i rent before i buy
Wed 22/05/02 at 18:24
Regular
Maybe. There was a load of other good posts yestwerday as well.
Wed 22/05/02 at 18:20
Argh well there goes my GAD hopes :)
Wed 22/05/02 at 18:17
Regular
I agree with you there Solskjaer. If you really want a game and you know it's good, then there is no point of renting it out. But for sport games, particulary, I find that a rent is needed to make sure it's worth the £40.
Wed 22/05/02 at 12:50
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I buy all the games I want now, and don't even consider renting them.
I don't know why I do it, but my friends used to rent MegaDrive (Genesis) games and stuff quite a lot.
I just never got into that idea and knew i'd be playing them for a lot longer than just a few days.

I don't care if people say that a game like Luigi's Mansion or Lylat Wars is really short and not worth the £40. I just look at the name of the people who made it - Nintendo - and know that i'm getting my money's worth, and will always be coming back to this game - at least one day.
Wed 22/05/02 at 08:31
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually Starlight, it's worse. News is that Nintendo have made sure that people like Blockbusters are not allowed to rent out Luigi's Mansion at all! So you either buy it, or you can't play it.

For some reason, Ninty have been using some very underhand tactics lately. They've stopped retro import stores from selling imported SNES games (yes, the ones that aren't sold new anymore!) that NEVER came out in this country anyway. Then they promote Luigi non-stop as one of the must have games for the cube, and make sure it's a buy-onjly deal.

What are they playing at?

Sonic
Wed 22/05/02 at 01:17
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I know what you mean, thing is I only ever played before I payed in the early days of the N64 I hardly ever do it now.

I usually just read reviews, previews, word of mouth and go on that, I can usually tell if a game sounds to my liking or not so I'm alright there.

I'm with Sonic down there too, I know a fair few people taking advantage of money back guarantees like that.

While were on the subject is it true that some rental stores like Blockbusters don't rent out Luigi's Mansion because it's so short that people could return it completed and they want people to buy it?

Sounds fair enough to me, class game anyway.
Tue 21/05/02 at 21:20
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Lately, several friends have started abusing EB's "return within 10 days for any reason" policy... we buy games, complete them within 10 games, and return them.

In all honesty, if people are going to sell games for £40 that are that short, I really don't care what it's doing for the industry.

Oh, and too be honest, these days I only buy games I'll actually keep for a long time, or know will last a while- just by reading good reviews.

Sonic
Tue 21/05/02 at 20:06
Regular
Do you play before you pay? Games have been getting more and more expensive at time goes on, so you always want to get your money’s worth for a game that you want to buy. If shops were to let you ‘play before pay’ I think it would be a good way to get people playing different games and then, that might lead on to the actual people buying them.

Take a sports game for example. If you go to a video shop and rent out a game to see what it’s like, eventually you might end up buying it. I think this is a good way for you to test out the latest games, so you know for definite that you’re getting your moneys worth. And it doesn’t have to be a video shop. What if the games shops started renting out games to potential buyers? It could basically be like a video shop, but they had a lot more variety to what they rent out.

I suppose Arcades already do this but only for certain games. The Virtua series, for instance, Virtua Striker, Virtua Tennis, and so on, but this only works to a certain extent. It’s okay if you want to play Virtua Striker because it’s going to be the same if you brought it, but if you went and played House of the Dead for instance, you could fall into the trap of thinking it’s a great game, because of the gun and the size of the screen, but also that you only get about a minute of it, so for that minute, you could think the game is great when really after a few hours of enjoyment, you get totally bored with it, and that’s my point. If you paid for a game just to rent it out, you would get to know it, and you would get to play it properly, which in turn, would help you decide whether you want it or not. That’s one of the advantages of ‘paying before your playing.’

Of course, it doesn’t work with all games. It kind of ruins it with Adventure games or RPG games as if you get to far, it spoils your enjoyment of when you get to a particular point, and you have to take the game back, if you do decide to buy it, you have to go through the bit you played, again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.