GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Water, Water everywhere and not a drop to drink"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/05/02 at 12:06
Regular
How come that in our modern entertainment obsessed society with a million and one different leisure activities, boredom seems to be more prevalent than ever, why? "Theres nothing to do".

Nobody goes out to play sports anymore - "I do that all the time, Im bored of it". True if all the time is classed as between all the time and 3 seconds ever.

Nobody likes to draw, write, or do any other creative or artistic thing, why? "Its boring, why bother, I can watch TV or Play games". Fair point, but how do you know its boring if you dont do it.

"Theres nothing ever good on tv" - theres only a hundred and one different channels, but of course none of its ever good is it. A lot of people dismiss programmes like "ER", "Ally McBeal", "The Practice", "Dawsons Creek", and even "Buffy" and "Angel" because they dont ike the look of them after seeing part of an episode. I know I dismissed "Alias", after the oh so boring pilot, but having seen one or two of the proper episodes I can see its actually quite good.

Books - "cant read those, they take too long". Why not? A good story is a good story, regardless of where its from, do you enjoy playing Final Fantasy Games? If so then Id imagine you like a good story, because lets face it it isnt exactly the gameplay that keeps you going back, its the character and plot development.

So why have we become obsessed with the instant fix of entertainment, why cant we enjoy the build up, the technique employed to get the fix, Im sure people here like movies, so if I told you in three lines the plot of a movie would that be as enjoyable as the movie itself? No, why not its cut down - oh wait theres no visual stimuli is there? Well imagery is possible from writing, just look at any good book youve read, even if you were forced to read it, I bet you got an idea of what the people loked like without seeing a picture of them. Or havent you got an imagination, the cinema within. You can even get to develop the characters yourself, Im sure that when playing games you come up with your own histories for the characters, or am I just the outsider, the anomolous one, the freak.

Just think, when your sitting there, flicking through the tv channels, bored out of your mind, that there is in fact a lot to do, just dont dismiss things because of your preconceptions or the image it will present. Unless you want to play Sega Bass Fishing, in which case think of something else. No seriously.
Tue 21/05/02 at 12:23
"Darkness, always"
I stopped reading when I got to "Alias is quite good".

No, it's not. It's absolute drivel.
Tue 21/05/02 at 12:11
"MMMMM, Chicken"
This was my soapbox post of the day, check out my posts "star wars spoilers" and "breaking news" for more humerous topics. And oh yeah there are no real star wars spoilers.
Tue 21/05/02 at 12:06
"MMMMM, Chicken"
How come that in our modern entertainment obsessed society with a million and one different leisure activities, boredom seems to be more prevalent than ever, why? "Theres nothing to do".

Nobody goes out to play sports anymore - "I do that all the time, Im bored of it". True if all the time is classed as between all the time and 3 seconds ever.

Nobody likes to draw, write, or do any other creative or artistic thing, why? "Its boring, why bother, I can watch TV or Play games". Fair point, but how do you know its boring if you dont do it.

"Theres nothing ever good on tv" - theres only a hundred and one different channels, but of course none of its ever good is it. A lot of people dismiss programmes like "ER", "Ally McBeal", "The Practice", "Dawsons Creek", and even "Buffy" and "Angel" because they dont ike the look of them after seeing part of an episode. I know I dismissed "Alias", after the oh so boring pilot, but having seen one or two of the proper episodes I can see its actually quite good.

Books - "cant read those, they take too long". Why not? A good story is a good story, regardless of where its from, do you enjoy playing Final Fantasy Games? If so then Id imagine you like a good story, because lets face it it isnt exactly the gameplay that keeps you going back, its the character and plot development.

So why have we become obsessed with the instant fix of entertainment, why cant we enjoy the build up, the technique employed to get the fix, Im sure people here like movies, so if I told you in three lines the plot of a movie would that be as enjoyable as the movie itself? No, why not its cut down - oh wait theres no visual stimuli is there? Well imagery is possible from writing, just look at any good book youve read, even if you were forced to read it, I bet you got an idea of what the people loked like without seeing a picture of them. Or havent you got an imagination, the cinema within. You can even get to develop the characters yourself, Im sure that when playing games you come up with your own histories for the characters, or am I just the outsider, the anomolous one, the freak.

Just think, when your sitting there, flicking through the tv channels, bored out of your mind, that there is in fact a lot to do, just dont dismiss things because of your preconceptions or the image it will present. Unless you want to play Sega Bass Fishing, in which case think of something else. No seriously.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.