GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Aint no revolution on PC evolution"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/05/02 at 08:35
Regular
I have just played one of the most innovative, addictive and downright enjoyable games I've played in a long while.No it's not Hife-Life, and no, it's not Medal of Honour. It's a game called Rez and surprisingly it's on the PS2. Here I am, playing what can only considered to be a peace of art and it's not on my chosen format. The game is a work of love inspired by dance and music, and is truly "wow", harking back to the good old days of retro shooters. I want to know why developers for the PC don't do the same thing . Rez is a simple yet enjoyable concept, yet it's for a... a... console! Yet all we get for the PC are 'Nasty Game 2' or 'Rubbish Game 4'.Once in a while we get a true masterpiece like Half-Life or Deus Ex.This trend has picked up of late with Medal of Honour and Commandos 2 but where are the really innovative titles? I understand that console developing is cheaper than for the PC and requires a lot less work yet if you took a look at Rez and some of the absolute garbage being released on the PC, you'd feel the same way I do. So please if any developers read this post, take heed. You claim to be the new film,book and comic makers; the most creative of the media industry, yet you've shown yourselves to be almost as bad as the producers of Holby City. Stop releasing crap and give us that same feelings we had when we first saw Half-Life.
Tue 04/06/02 at 19:48
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> Waitasec... I read this in PCGamer, the latest one.

Ahhhhh, I thought I recongnised this somewhere. Wonder if its the same athour or just someone trying to copy, either way its really mis-informed.
Tue 04/06/02 at 18:43
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
xBeanx wrote:
> I have just played one of the most innovative, addictive and downright
> enjoyable games I've played in a long while.No it's not Hife-Life, and
> no, it's not Medal of Honour. It's a game called Rez and surprisingly
> it's on the PS2. Here I am, playing what can only considered to be a
> peace of art and it's not on my chosen format. The game is a work of
> love inspired by dance and music, and is truly "wow",
> harking back to the good old days of retro shooters.
> I want to know why developers
> for the PC don't do the same thing . Rez is a simple yet enjoyable
> concept, yet it's for a... a... console! Yet all we get for the PC are
> 'Nasty Game 2' or 'Rubbish Game 4'.Once in a while we get a true
> masterpiece like Half-Life or Deus Ex.This trend has picked up of late
> with Medal of Honour and Commandos 2 but where are the really
> innovative titles?
> I understand that console developing is cheaper than for the PC and
> requires a lot less work yet if you took a look at Rez and some of the
> absolute garbage being released on the PC, you'd feel the same way I
> do. So please if any developers read this post, take heed. You claim
> to be the new film,book and comic makers; the most creative of the
> media industry, yet you've shown yourselves to be almost as bad as the
> producers of Holby City. Stop releasing crap and give us that same
> feelings we had when we first saw Half-Life.

Waitasec... I read this in PCGamer, the latest one.
Tue 21/05/02 at 14:42
Regular
"A man with a stick"
xBeanx wrote:
> I understand that console developing is cheaper than for the PC and
> requires a lot less work yet if you took a look at Rez and some of the
> absolute garbage being released on the PC, you'd feel the same way I
> do.

Just a minute, developing games for the PC 'is' cheaper than developing games for consoles. All games start life on a PC, its where they are developed from, it cost more for console because they have to be converted from the PC format to the console one. PC games however don't need to change format, and therefore the games developer saves money.

Absolute garbadge!?!?!? Have you played any PC games recantly? here are some great games you may have missed:

operation flashpoint, no one lives forever, the sims, max payne, sudden strike, ghost recon, freedom force, jedi outcast, warrior kings, Global ops ect...

and here are some coming soon:

Soldier of fortune 2, warcraft 3, neverwinter knights, Grand Prix 4, IGI2, Hitman 2, dues ex 2, unreal tournement 2003, Star wars Galaxies, Mafia, Medievil: total war ect...

Allot of sequels, yes, but sequels of great games. It looks like a great year for the PC and despite being an owner of both a PC and PS2 (soon to have a GC as well) I can say there are far more promasing looking games for the humble computer than there are for the PS2. Garbage my ar$e.
Tue 21/05/02 at 10:48
Regular
"A man with a stick"
There are plenty of innovative titles for the PC,m the two main ones I can think of are giants and sacrifice. Oh yeah and don't forget black and white. Besides the PS2 isn't any better, aside from rez name one other title which is as innovative....... Have you seen the best selling games on the console? Metal gear solid 2, gran turismo3, gta3 ect. Sequels, hardly innovation is it?

I've played rez and apart from the nice graphics, its just a basic shooter with a few music samples thrown in. It is a good game, but far from the innovation I was hoping for. Now look at sacrifice, a stratagy game where you must please you're gods with sacrifices of enemies to gain almighty powers. Giants where you can play as three different races to gain control of an island, the best being the ability to control a massive giant, and finally black and white which as we all know you have to raise a creature which reacts to how you treat it.

There great games, and innovative enough to keep anyone entertained for hours.
Tue 21/05/02 at 08:35
Regular
I have just played one of the most innovative, addictive and downright enjoyable games I've played in a long while.No it's not Hife-Life, and no, it's not Medal of Honour. It's a game called Rez and surprisingly it's on the PS2. Here I am, playing what can only considered to be a peace of art and it's not on my chosen format. The game is a work of love inspired by dance and music, and is truly "wow", harking back to the good old days of retro shooters. I want to know why developers for the PC don't do the same thing . Rez is a simple yet enjoyable concept, yet it's for a... a... console! Yet all we get for the PC are 'Nasty Game 2' or 'Rubbish Game 4'.Once in a while we get a true masterpiece like Half-Life or Deus Ex.This trend has picked up of late with Medal of Honour and Commandos 2 but where are the really innovative titles? I understand that console developing is cheaper than for the PC and requires a lot less work yet if you took a look at Rez and some of the absolute garbage being released on the PC, you'd feel the same way I do. So please if any developers read this post, take heed. You claim to be the new film,book and comic makers; the most creative of the media industry, yet you've shown yourselves to be almost as bad as the producers of Holby City. Stop releasing crap and give us that same feelings we had when we first saw Half-Life.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.