GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Yes, i have bought ISS 2 *Shock horror!*..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/05/02 at 14:10
Regular
Yup, that’s right...I have bought ISS 2...for £40...not from SR though, sorry. :D

Well, now that you have got over the shock, im going to tell you what I think of the game, but let me start by explaining something.

*this will be a long post i think...so get a coffee first. :D*

A few weeks back I wrote a post about how I disliked the idea that Konami were releasing ISS games and Pro Evo games along side each other, for the sheer fact that I thought that it was a scheming ploy to make people buy the wrong versions of the game, so that they would then have to go back and buy the other. I still dislike this idea, I don’t agree with what they have done.... but that does not mean that ISS 2 is a bad game, as it’s far from it.

Anyway, it was Badgerman that first got me thinking about getting this game, and so, in town today I thought, hell, ive got the money, why not, so I just bought it on impulse, didn’t even look at the back of the box...might sound foolish but hey, I bought it, and now that I have got it home, im rather happy with it.

Firstly, the most obvious thing people will do when they play this game, is compare it to Pro Evo, I tried not to, as I wanted to see what type of game it really is, what would it have got if Pro Evo wasn’t around, but that’s a bit hard, but what I will say is...its not that many light years away from Pro Evo.

Basically, it’s a different game; the game play has its differences and has its similarities. ISS 2 is not the arcade game that I thought it was, it carefully blends arcade and realism into one factor. On one hand you have rather realistic games engine, with passes not always going to feet, people miss controlling the ball. Then there are the excellent passes that you can do, which you have to stand up and pat yourself on the back for completing, the long range pass in ISS 2 is much more effective than in Pro Evo. Also though, it has flashes of arcade in it, its a faster game for starters, then there are some passes that can be done over and over that would never happen in real life. This is not a bad thing though as you can put a 5-pass combo in completely from back healers.... it’s like having a midfield full of Joe Cole's! There are too sneaky bits of trickery that can be done, that not even Ronaldo can pull off anymore...it all makes for eye pleasing football.

Shooting is slightly improved on ISS 2 as well, it now feels that you can put the ball anywhere in the net, where as on Pro Evo, you were a little restricted. The controls being more responsive in this game means that you can be running through midfield with Scholes, and then in a second spot a gap and shoot a low missile into the bottom corner with relative ease, something that you could not always do on Pro Evo.... whether you score though is different, as the keepers are better than on Pro Evo. Basically, shooting is a little improved on here.

Over all, the game play on ISS 2 is not quite up to the standards of Pro Evo, its still a more direct game to play and the importance of build up play is not as much as on Pro Evo. Saying that, its still a realistic game, and in some places the AI is better on this, players now run to the ball when its passed, and run into space more just like on the real thing. This does allow for much better possession play as there are less dodgy interceptions to be had.

Pro Evo and ISS 2 do play different. Pro Evo is pure realism. ISS 2 is a mixture of both. Both games do play well, both give you some great entertainment...but for me, Pro Evo is still on top in game play.

However,

ISS 2 is leagues above Pro Evo in the atmosphere department. It’s safe to say, that in atmosphere wise (sounds, looks and settings) that ISS 2 is the game that does this the best that i have ever played.

The commentary is so much better than any other ISS/Pro Evo game to come out, its more responsive, it stays up to time with the match and it actually makes sense.... only problem is that its Mark Lawrence speaking from MOTD, cant have everything i suppose.

The graphics are too very impressive, while not all the players look like there real life counterparts, they are very good models. The animation in this game is superb. Every type of pass in the game must be in here somewhere, from the side foot to the toe stab, even the nifty dummy can be done. But with the animation being so good everything looks so real (if you take away the computer look). The makers need to be really congratulated here.

And finally, the crowd are perfect too, there in tune all way through the match, singing various football tunes, cheering as there team gets to the box and shoots...and then give out a huge groan as Heskey misses from 4 yards (told you it was realistic). But what is truly great is, that if the home team scores you here the crowd cheering very loud...and if the away team scores, boos ring out from all the home fans with a snidy remark from the commentator "You cant please all the fans can you". Ponce.

As for what you can do in the game, its got all the usual games to play through that you would expect from an ISS game, so there’s plenty to keep you busy.

*The Big Conclusion*

So, if you have Pro Evo is there any point in getting this game? Yes and No.

Yes - Its different to Pro Evo, the game play is good yet different, at times its a lot more pleasing on the eye. Also, this is more of the game that you can just pick up and have a blast on, you don’t need to be a sheer master of the game to get the most from it, most of the main tricks can be learned quite quickly (though i do have some more to learn) but you don’t need to practice for hours to get good.

No - If you want pure realism, this is not the game for you, it throws in the realism, but the arcade areas are there for you all to see. Also there is not much different in terms of what the game offers you other than the difference in realism, so it might seem like your just buying a seasonal update of Pro Evo with slightly better graphics.

For me, Pro Evo is still the best football game out there. ISS 2, while not as good, is still a damn enjoyable game, that allows for quicker and easier play than Pro Evo, but still offers a challenge.

I recommend a rent at least from you Konami lovers.
Mon 20/05/02 at 14:10
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Yup, that’s right...I have bought ISS 2...for £40...not from SR though, sorry. :D

Well, now that you have got over the shock, im going to tell you what I think of the game, but let me start by explaining something.

*this will be a long post i think...so get a coffee first. :D*

A few weeks back I wrote a post about how I disliked the idea that Konami were releasing ISS games and Pro Evo games along side each other, for the sheer fact that I thought that it was a scheming ploy to make people buy the wrong versions of the game, so that they would then have to go back and buy the other. I still dislike this idea, I don’t agree with what they have done.... but that does not mean that ISS 2 is a bad game, as it’s far from it.

Anyway, it was Badgerman that first got me thinking about getting this game, and so, in town today I thought, hell, ive got the money, why not, so I just bought it on impulse, didn’t even look at the back of the box...might sound foolish but hey, I bought it, and now that I have got it home, im rather happy with it.

Firstly, the most obvious thing people will do when they play this game, is compare it to Pro Evo, I tried not to, as I wanted to see what type of game it really is, what would it have got if Pro Evo wasn’t around, but that’s a bit hard, but what I will say is...its not that many light years away from Pro Evo.

Basically, it’s a different game; the game play has its differences and has its similarities. ISS 2 is not the arcade game that I thought it was, it carefully blends arcade and realism into one factor. On one hand you have rather realistic games engine, with passes not always going to feet, people miss controlling the ball. Then there are the excellent passes that you can do, which you have to stand up and pat yourself on the back for completing, the long range pass in ISS 2 is much more effective than in Pro Evo. Also though, it has flashes of arcade in it, its a faster game for starters, then there are some passes that can be done over and over that would never happen in real life. This is not a bad thing though as you can put a 5-pass combo in completely from back healers.... it’s like having a midfield full of Joe Cole's! There are too sneaky bits of trickery that can be done, that not even Ronaldo can pull off anymore...it all makes for eye pleasing football.

Shooting is slightly improved on ISS 2 as well, it now feels that you can put the ball anywhere in the net, where as on Pro Evo, you were a little restricted. The controls being more responsive in this game means that you can be running through midfield with Scholes, and then in a second spot a gap and shoot a low missile into the bottom corner with relative ease, something that you could not always do on Pro Evo.... whether you score though is different, as the keepers are better than on Pro Evo. Basically, shooting is a little improved on here.

Over all, the game play on ISS 2 is not quite up to the standards of Pro Evo, its still a more direct game to play and the importance of build up play is not as much as on Pro Evo. Saying that, its still a realistic game, and in some places the AI is better on this, players now run to the ball when its passed, and run into space more just like on the real thing. This does allow for much better possession play as there are less dodgy interceptions to be had.

Pro Evo and ISS 2 do play different. Pro Evo is pure realism. ISS 2 is a mixture of both. Both games do play well, both give you some great entertainment...but for me, Pro Evo is still on top in game play.

However,

ISS 2 is leagues above Pro Evo in the atmosphere department. It’s safe to say, that in atmosphere wise (sounds, looks and settings) that ISS 2 is the game that does this the best that i have ever played.

The commentary is so much better than any other ISS/Pro Evo game to come out, its more responsive, it stays up to time with the match and it actually makes sense.... only problem is that its Mark Lawrence speaking from MOTD, cant have everything i suppose.

The graphics are too very impressive, while not all the players look like there real life counterparts, they are very good models. The animation in this game is superb. Every type of pass in the game must be in here somewhere, from the side foot to the toe stab, even the nifty dummy can be done. But with the animation being so good everything looks so real (if you take away the computer look). The makers need to be really congratulated here.

And finally, the crowd are perfect too, there in tune all way through the match, singing various football tunes, cheering as there team gets to the box and shoots...and then give out a huge groan as Heskey misses from 4 yards (told you it was realistic). But what is truly great is, that if the home team scores you here the crowd cheering very loud...and if the away team scores, boos ring out from all the home fans with a snidy remark from the commentator "You cant please all the fans can you". Ponce.

As for what you can do in the game, its got all the usual games to play through that you would expect from an ISS game, so there’s plenty to keep you busy.

*The Big Conclusion*

So, if you have Pro Evo is there any point in getting this game? Yes and No.

Yes - Its different to Pro Evo, the game play is good yet different, at times its a lot more pleasing on the eye. Also, this is more of the game that you can just pick up and have a blast on, you don’t need to be a sheer master of the game to get the most from it, most of the main tricks can be learned quite quickly (though i do have some more to learn) but you don’t need to practice for hours to get good.

No - If you want pure realism, this is not the game for you, it throws in the realism, but the arcade areas are there for you all to see. Also there is not much different in terms of what the game offers you other than the difference in realism, so it might seem like your just buying a seasonal update of Pro Evo with slightly better graphics.

For me, Pro Evo is still the best football game out there. ISS 2, while not as good, is still a damn enjoyable game, that allows for quicker and easier play than Pro Evo, but still offers a challenge.

I recommend a rent at least from you Konami lovers.
Mon 20/05/02 at 14:33
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
Booooooo.....I was gonna vote for you......Why couldn't you just wait?! WHY WHY?!?!?
Mon 20/05/02 at 14:35
Regular
*confused*
Mon 20/05/02 at 14:36
Regular
"  "
I'm pleased it's different....and to be honest i cant beleive how many different styles of footy games there are. Even though they are all based on the same game it's hard to find one that plays the same. UEFA C L got great shooting but a bit sluggish, Tif is fast passing, bit sluggish, FIFa...is pants, Red Card is manic arcade action, and Pro Evo's the daddy. I own all footy games at the mo except UEFA challenge, FIFA 2002, World Cup 2002 and now ISS2. I have about 9 footy games on PS2....and this looks like another!
Mon 20/05/02 at 14:37
Regular
"  "
mothballed wrote:
> Booooooo.....I was gonna vote for you......Why couldn't you just
> wait?! WHY WHY?!?!?

What....the....hell.....are u on?
Mon 20/05/02 at 14:42
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
Pro Evo wrote:
> *confused*

can't believe you would go for a bgrade footie game......PES2 is not far away.......
Mon 20/05/02 at 14:44
Regular
Its far from B-grade, its a good game in its own rights.

As for PES2, believe me, i will be the first in line. Buying this game in no way shape or form means that i wont be getting that.

Its something new to pass that time away.
Mon 20/05/02 at 14:45
Regular
"  "
ah true...true...but like i say...i have 9 ps2 footy games...u can never own too many.
Mon 20/05/02 at 14:48
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
Pro Evo wrote:
> Its far from B-grade, its a good game in its own rights.
>
> As for PES2, believe me, i will be the first in line. Buying this game
> in no way shape or form means that i wont be getting that.
>
> Its something new to pass that time away.

Ok...I understand....I remember not so long ago that you were not particularly excited about PES2 coming out. At least now you are back on track. Plus when It does come out you'll have been playing lesser games for a while so making it seem even better!! Have you seen the WE6 vids on the PE site......drool........;o)
Mon 20/05/02 at 17:09
Regular
"es argh"
*Get's up from Epeleptic shock*

MY GOD.

He likes it, I thought you would :D

as you said, it's a game that'll pass the time until PES2. It's definitely going to be the best footy game until then. I also agree about the freedom of shooting, So........

GO RENT IT!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.