GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doesn't everyone realize that the PS2 could be a great success???"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/10/00 at 18:47
Regular
I know most of you will reply saying "yeah, it will be a success, but only 'cos of the PSX's success and people will buy it and be disappointed blah blah blah..." but what if like the PSX, it's actually a...a... brilliant console?? What if the graphics ARE spectacular, games ARE amazing and it IS the best console that it claims to me. I hope I'm not being biased but I get the feeling that Sony are being unfairly treated, considering that almost all of you have never even played on a PS2. Maybe Sony are having trouble getting enough units, and have made a bit of a muck-up with all this pre-order stuff, but it still MIGHT be a great console.
I get a bit sick of people saying "Why do you want a PS2, it's only popular 'cos Sony are using the popularity of the PSX to get you gullable Sony fans to buy it, you should see what the Gamecube or DC has to offer." But you don't know!! How do you know the PS2 will be rubbish??? It may have had it's problems but what hasn't??? It may cost alot, but you never know, it might be worth it. What if it's the Gamecube that's turned out to be disappointing?? I'm not saying it will be, but it COULD be. The PS2 also COULD be a disappointment.
All I'm saying in what hopefully is a non-biased manner, that try not to diss the PS2 before it'e even come out over here. I've tried not be biased, I'm just putting a point through which I'm annoyed about. Don't slate me for this, civilised replies please.

Thanks for reading, from your local ant, Ant.
PS I could be crawling into your house tomorrow!!
Fri 29/02/08 at 19:03
Regular
Welcome to the new Barra and Vatersay Island Produce Show site. Please use this forum responsibly for general chat, comments and questions about the crofting.

Many thanks

Administrator
Thu 26/10/00 at 23:51
I don't doubt that it'll be a success - as you know, I'm extremely impressed by the machine - but I think some people have been (and will be) disappointed because of the hype.

I really think that public expectancy has been pushed beyon reasonable limits by the amount of hype for PS2, but who do we blame for that? In my opinion, it's not Sony, but the gaming press that are responsible. Sony have never claimed, to my knowledge, that PS2 will 'change your life' - they simply announced and demonstrated what they had; everything else has snowballed from stories and rumours circulated in the gaming press.

PS2 is an amazingly powerful machine, but the hype has reached such excessive levels that many people are expecting things that even PS2 can't do. I don't believe this will be limited to the PS2. As their launches approach over the next year or so, I think the same will apply to X-Box and GameCube.

Knowing what I do about technology (and I don't mean to come across as a know-it-all), I think we're still some way from the gaming Nirvana that people are expecting from these machines.

What we have to remember is that, while these machines can shift polygons faster than Road Runner on speed, the actual program code that they run is more or less the same as it always has been - there's just more of it, processed at higher speed. Game designers have always had 'the perfect game' in mind - they just have to trim away less of it now than they used to.

Ignore all the hype and what are you left with?

At the moment, all we are getting is games that look prettier, sound better, and run faster. The major breakthrough, I think, lies in code... logic and artificial intelligence code, to be precise. When games can respond in real-time, to a complete range of user inputs rather then pre-programmed acceptable limits, *that* is when the next revolutionary gaming stage will appear - when your opponents really can think for themselves.

Looking at the new machines from an objective point of view, Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube and X-Box are essentially more of the same. Sure, they're faster, better-looking and have awesome sound, but is there anything really *new* about them?

The last major leap was from 2D to 3D. Now the jump from 32/64-bit to 128-bit has occurred, and generally the games - with very few exceptions - are nothing we haven't seen before; they're all based on tried-and-tested themes and formulas.

I don't mean to imply in any way that this is necessarily a bad thing; in fact, far from it - I love the games as they are. But the hype for all of these machines has led people to believe that they're getting so much more. Is it any wonder there are some disappointed people?

The only things that I see as *really* new or outstanding about these consoles is that (1) they can be connected to the internet, and (2) they give you games with PC-quality graphics (or better) at a fraction of the cost.

Don't get me wrong, though - I'm still desperate to get my hands on my PS2 - I just think we all need to keep things in the right perspective.

Maybe the next major breakthrough will come with 256-bit machines, maybe with 512-bit or better - but it *will* come, sooner than we think. It's just not here yet.
Thu 26/10/00 at 21:34
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I believe the PS2 will be a larger success than the first one!
Thu 26/10/00 at 20:03
Regular
"I like cheese"
That's exactly what I'm saying. Of course it's still a good console.
Thu 26/10/00 at 19:55
The problem with the Playstation 2 is that everyone thinks its gone back because of a totally botched up release launch. Just think about it though- 5 years ago when the Playstation was launched, everyone was looking at the Saturn, and not at the Playstation, because Sony were considered to be minnows in what was a big pond. This time around the spotlight is firmly on Sony, and any mistake that they made would be then punished severely by their critics, and rivals. Yes it has had shortages, thats because of the sheer number of components that it takes to produce just one PS2 and this should have been planned for a long time ago if they knew about it definately, but noone would have expected such a high level of demand for one console. This is because the Playstation 2 has a alot to live up to, a legacy left behind by its older brother, the Playstation. If you look at the current reports in the US, their entire stock of PS2's is going to be sold out by midnight tonight, which means they would have sold 500,000 PS2's in one day( Well know what the exact figures tomorrow). Put it this way, everyone has been critising Sony for a botched up launch, but it still has managed to sell despite the negative critism, so it must still be a good console to buy shouldnt it?
Thu 26/10/00 at 18:47
Regular
"I like cheese"
I know most of you will reply saying "yeah, it will be a success, but only 'cos of the PSX's success and people will buy it and be disappointed blah blah blah..." but what if like the PSX, it's actually a...a... brilliant console?? What if the graphics ARE spectacular, games ARE amazing and it IS the best console that it claims to me. I hope I'm not being biased but I get the feeling that Sony are being unfairly treated, considering that almost all of you have never even played on a PS2. Maybe Sony are having trouble getting enough units, and have made a bit of a muck-up with all this pre-order stuff, but it still MIGHT be a great console.
I get a bit sick of people saying "Why do you want a PS2, it's only popular 'cos Sony are using the popularity of the PSX to get you gullable Sony fans to buy it, you should see what the Gamecube or DC has to offer." But you don't know!! How do you know the PS2 will be rubbish??? It may have had it's problems but what hasn't??? It may cost alot, but you never know, it might be worth it. What if it's the Gamecube that's turned out to be disappointing?? I'm not saying it will be, but it COULD be. The PS2 also COULD be a disappointment.
All I'm saying in what hopefully is a non-biased manner, that try not to diss the PS2 before it'e even come out over here. I've tried not be biased, I'm just putting a point through which I'm annoyed about. Don't slate me for this, civilised replies please.

Thanks for reading, from your local ant, Ant.
PS I could be crawling into your house tomorrow!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.