GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future Of This Discussion Board"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/10/00 at 18:09
Regular
Right, pay attention you lot - we've got some changes in the pipeline for the discussion system you know and love and would like your opinions on the following matter.

1. Would you like to see the messages within a topic?
(a) in the order of the conversation (as it is now)
(b) backwards so that new messages always appear on the first page
(c) with buttons to sort either way

2. What's the best thing about our discussion forums?

3. What's the worst thing about our discussion forums?

4. What other features do you want?

Please reply within this topic.

Thanks,
Danny
Mon 30/10/00 at 20:05
> Have you ever had to ban anybody yet?
Well, people with pink iMacs normally get booted off pretty soon!
Fri 27/10/00 at 23:32
Regular
"Whatever!"
I think it would be best left how it is now, but as someone said above maybe have all topics on one page as it seems easier to just scroll down and look at the lot rather than click from one page to the next.
One way to get conversations moving from one forum to the next is to perhaps introduce a new gameaday rule in which a winner is awarded at different forums each day. So for example one day could be for the best discussion/comment at the future of gaming forum, then the next day it is awarded for the best contribution at the television forum. That way there will always be something for someone to talk about in new forums rather than just a few selected ones.
A chat room wouldnt be such a bad idea also. One to talk strictly about games and maybe a general chat room.
Fri 27/10/00 at 22:01
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
I think there should be a discussion forum called UKSuggestionBox.com so that people can make suggestions on how to improve this site.

Also - my idea posted a few days ago of a DOM (Discusser Of the Month) who gets extra responsibilities, and a KING DOM for the best DOM of the year - does deserve some merit or even a Gameaday prize. Mind you, I don't want to be the KING DOM because I don't like to interfere.

I don't think it would be difficult to read the messages backwards. Where I work they spend all day on the iii site and that's shown backwards. It's not like you have to read upside down or anything, and who want to read 200 old messages anyway. Most of us prefer to read shiny new comments not out of date drivel.

I don't think there should be as many forums. It's like you can talk about mud pies if you want to and only a few of the topics are really popular. And in the games forums there should only be one topic per game - er, about that game. Then you could see all the comments about that game on one easy-to-read argument.

I like the new designs. This is getting really good. Have you ever had to ban anybody yet?
Thu 26/10/00 at 20:10
The annoying thing is having to go onto another page to read all the messages in the topic. It sounds stupid, but wouldn't it be easier to just make one huge long page which ytou can scroll all the way to the bottom of. It's like the topic that Snoochy Booties Fatty made up. Now there are like 200 messages on it, and i keep having to change pages to read what other people have written. The net keeps on disconnecting half way there as well, but thats just my stupid computer :)
Thu 26/10/00 at 19:21
I haven't been here long, but the one thing I've noticed is that it's difficult to navigate a long topic. Putting the discussion the other way around would only confuse things, but having buttons for forward, backwards, to the start of the topic and to the end would be a help. They would have to be at the top of the page and the bottom, so wherever you were reading they would be easy to find.

The best thing? Meeting lots of weird and wacky people with comments on games!

The worst? Reading topics that have 200 posts and take ages to get to the end of, and the post sometimes do not automatically update now when you've finished writing one. (the last message doesn't appear at the top all the time - but having it refresh automatically would be nice, say about every 3 minutes or so.)

Other Features? Finding out who has posted on a forum recently (perhaps a list of who is still signed in if it's possible) and an option to go to a real-time chat section.
Thu 26/10/00 at 18:09
Right, pay attention you lot - we've got some changes in the pipeline for the discussion system you know and love and would like your opinions on the following matter.

1. Would you like to see the messages within a topic?
(a) in the order of the conversation (as it is now)
(b) backwards so that new messages always appear on the first page
(c) with buttons to sort either way

2. What's the best thing about our discussion forums?

3. What's the worst thing about our discussion forums?

4. What other features do you want?

Please reply within this topic.

Thanks,
Danny

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.