GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is the wait really worth it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/05/02 at 11:13
Regular
"Worth the wait?"

You all know the times when you are eagerly awaiting the latest game to be released. It's the hardest part to stay sane. Being shown all the latest media footage which makes us faint or drule all over our keyboard. Encrypting our minds and making us go looney, oh wait, we are already looney,..............anyway, thats besides the point, the developers just give us the most delightful footage of the games and leave us to do the rest.

The hype is building and fans are going crazy. Thier dreams often consist of an adventure which pits themselves ,in a tight skull suit, sneaking around a small boat in thier back garden with plastic guns shooting terrorist insects, or something along those corresponding lines. The game is hyped up to unimaginable extents and has the nation in its hands (yes, I know that games dont have hands......). We just can't wait for the game to be out and wish it were the day of release months before-hand.

Unfortunately though, the downside to us living in the UK and having a PAL machine is that we often have to wait several months to get the game converted from NTSC to PAL. The fact that most of the games are mainly developed in the USA is why they get the games first. And why we have to wait. The people over the pond have their chance to play first and only further stimulate our salivery glands in excitement to play aswell by telling us of all the 'cool' things they have done so far.

The process to switch everything over takes a few weeks sometimes but other times can take months. But, hurrah!, the developers say that we will get extra things put into the game and that they will improve the overall look of a certain area or object. In your face American gamers!
Maybe I shouldn't have said that.............

When it finally gets shipped and everyone has woken up from thier sleeping bags, outside the local game shop, with slobber running down the side of thier face, we finally get to buy the game. It's what we've been waiting to do since the announcement of development and the thrill is immense. Arriving home, our main priority is to stick the disk in the tray and get the damn thing loaded, definately not stopping to have a wash, brush teeth or comb hair. Bear in mind that his would be at about 9:30 in the morning.........

And usually, what is hyped up to be an amazing game, which is..... most probably, is degraded by a crummy conversion. 50fps!. Yeah, thanks alot!, this Bud's to you 'Mr. Crummy Conversion Maker'. We did'nt wait the extra time to be given something that isn't as capable of doing as good as other versions.
Certainly not all games are converted into 50fps though, but there's quite a few of them.....

And to make up for the wait (and to probably take our minds off the degraded fps rate), the developers try to make us all happy again and tempt us with some extra DVD footage of some sort. Whether it be a "The making of" extra, or just a few thoughts from the makers, it's not what we exactly want or what we expected. Yes, they did say that they were going to make the long wait up to us by giving us something extra but does it really make up for the long wait. Bah!, not really.

So in conclusion, is the wait really worth it? Are the developers taking too much time focusing on something that most of us will only take into consideration for a tiny length or are these guys really making the long waiting times up to us?
In my honest opinion, I think not, why not just spend that little extra time making the game the same quality or even a little better than the version released a long time before?

Comments please anyone?

Thanks.
MH.
Sat 18/05/02 at 18:53
Regular
"Hmmm....."
The what!?

If you think that ive copied this out of a magazine then I can assure you that i've not. I dont even read or have any magazine exept the PS2 ones.

hhhmmmmm

If theres something like this in a magazine then its just a coincidence.

I spent a few nights writing this out (straight from out of my own head) and im not going to have someone besmirch it because of it being similar to something else.

ggrrr
Sat 18/05/02 at 18:45
Regular
"keep your receipt"
this reminds me of the star letter in the new NGC, you pagliarist :D
Sat 18/05/02 at 18:35
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Ok.
Lets stop there then, dont want my thread to be spammed up by us.
Just some more replies with good thoughts would be nice.
:)
Sat 18/05/02 at 18:34
Regular
Hercules! wrote:
> Nice one guys.
> Dont know what you meen by making my own topics but eeerrrr..... ok,
> whatever.
> :D
>
> Whats with the Kenny face?

i think you should be asking - Whats not with the Kenny face? ((><))
Sat 18/05/02 at 18:26
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Nice one guys.
Dont know what you meen by making my own topics but eeerrrr..... ok, whatever.
:D

Whats with the Kenny face?
Sat 18/05/02 at 12:20
Regular
nice topic Herc

Good to see thast your makeing your owwn topics up now.

((><)) - Kenny
Sat 18/05/02 at 11:40
Regular
I think it depends on what your waiting for. A new game, like Zelda or Mario, or something like that is probably the worst because you have to have to see screenshots and reviews in magazines while a new console isn't so bad because there are soooo many games that you want, you try not to think about it.
Sat 18/05/02 at 11:38
Regular
I
Sat 18/05/02 at 11:13
Regular
"Hmmm....."
"Worth the wait?"

You all know the times when you are eagerly awaiting the latest game to be released. It's the hardest part to stay sane. Being shown all the latest media footage which makes us faint or drule all over our keyboard. Encrypting our minds and making us go looney, oh wait, we are already looney,..............anyway, thats besides the point, the developers just give us the most delightful footage of the games and leave us to do the rest.

The hype is building and fans are going crazy. Thier dreams often consist of an adventure which pits themselves ,in a tight skull suit, sneaking around a small boat in thier back garden with plastic guns shooting terrorist insects, or something along those corresponding lines. The game is hyped up to unimaginable extents and has the nation in its hands (yes, I know that games dont have hands......). We just can't wait for the game to be out and wish it were the day of release months before-hand.

Unfortunately though, the downside to us living in the UK and having a PAL machine is that we often have to wait several months to get the game converted from NTSC to PAL. The fact that most of the games are mainly developed in the USA is why they get the games first. And why we have to wait. The people over the pond have their chance to play first and only further stimulate our salivery glands in excitement to play aswell by telling us of all the 'cool' things they have done so far.

The process to switch everything over takes a few weeks sometimes but other times can take months. But, hurrah!, the developers say that we will get extra things put into the game and that they will improve the overall look of a certain area or object. In your face American gamers!
Maybe I shouldn't have said that.............

When it finally gets shipped and everyone has woken up from thier sleeping bags, outside the local game shop, with slobber running down the side of thier face, we finally get to buy the game. It's what we've been waiting to do since the announcement of development and the thrill is immense. Arriving home, our main priority is to stick the disk in the tray and get the damn thing loaded, definately not stopping to have a wash, brush teeth or comb hair. Bear in mind that his would be at about 9:30 in the morning.........

And usually, what is hyped up to be an amazing game, which is..... most probably, is degraded by a crummy conversion. 50fps!. Yeah, thanks alot!, this Bud's to you 'Mr. Crummy Conversion Maker'. We did'nt wait the extra time to be given something that isn't as capable of doing as good as other versions.
Certainly not all games are converted into 50fps though, but there's quite a few of them.....

And to make up for the wait (and to probably take our minds off the degraded fps rate), the developers try to make us all happy again and tempt us with some extra DVD footage of some sort. Whether it be a "The making of" extra, or just a few thoughts from the makers, it's not what we exactly want or what we expected. Yes, they did say that they were going to make the long wait up to us by giving us something extra but does it really make up for the long wait. Bah!, not really.

So in conclusion, is the wait really worth it? Are the developers taking too much time focusing on something that most of us will only take into consideration for a tiny length or are these guys really making the long waiting times up to us?
In my honest opinion, I think not, why not just spend that little extra time making the game the same quality or even a little better than the version released a long time before?

Comments please anyone?

Thanks.
MH.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.