GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Wars: Past, Present and Future"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/05/02 at 23:49
Regular
I have seen a lot of console war topics since I have been here, most of them on the latest three next-gen consoles, and it is certainly a full on war between Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft isn't it.
There have been a lot of console wars over the past twenty years haven't there, and we wouldn't be where we are today if there weren't these console wars. Let's take a look into the past of console wars.

First up, we have: the spectrum, the commodore 64 and the Amstrad CPC464. This goes back a long way, mid 80s sometime. This is what got me into playing games really. The Spectrum turned out to be quite popular in the UK, with games like Skool Daze and Jet Set Willy, although I will always remember it for Spyhunter. The C64 became its direct competition, being a little more powerful and having more memory. The only thing I remember about the Amstrad was the fact that it had spreadsheets. While it was the Commodore that really dominated the world market, it was the Spectrum that took a firm grip in the UK.

Then, in enters the Japenese giants Nintendo and Sega. Nintendo released their NES Entertainment System first, and became a big hit everywhere, especially with games like Super Mario Brothers and Zelda. Then, Sega released their 8-bit console, the Master System. It was a little more advanced than the NES, and became quite popular with games like Outrun, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Wonder Boy. But, it was the NES that was triumphant in the first battle between Sega and Nintendo.

What next? Aah yes, the Atari ST and the Amiga, the two proper looking computers that could load games rapidly. I expect there are a lot of you out there that have fond memories of these two. I think everybody nows the result here. The more powerful Amiga, with games like Lemmings and Sensi Soccer, blew the Atari ST away, but it did try.

Next, the Japanese giants are back in action. This time, Sega release their console first, the 16-bit Megadrive. Despite games like Altered Beast (aaahhh, take it away), the Megadrive proved to be a hit, especially with Sega's mascot Sonic around. Nintendo then retaliated with the more powerful SNES, and once again, Nintendo took the world by storm with Mario and the like. This was a very close battle as both consoles did well and both had brilliant games, but Nintendo did it again, selling more.

We are now at the late 90s, and a new console maker arrives. Its Sony, with their Playstation, boldly taking on Sega and Nintendo. Sony's Playststion became a big hit, knocking Sega's Saturn for six. Games like Tomb Raider and GT made it an essential purchase. Nintendo came in very late with their 64-bit N64, but Nintendo kept with cartridges and these meant third party support became slim, and while it gave us some of the best multiplayer games around, the amount of games began to dwindle. Sega, once again, had a crack at Sony, with their 128-bit Dreamcast, and while it was a brilliant console, it just couldn't cope with the Playstation, and the PS2 hype and Sega left the console market to concentrate on games. Shame really.

So, when you look back on previous console wars, you can see that the console war going on now is very similar. One console gets released, becomes quite popular, then out comes another, more powerful console. But, it isn't the most powerful console that always won, it was the games. Nintendo certainly proved this against Sega, and Sony are showing it now. It was, is, and will always be the games that will win the war.
Each console is an army, and their games are its ammunition. Use their ammunition wisely,and they will prevail. This was the case then, it is the case now, it it will be the case in the future.

Besides, isn't it us, the gamers, that win out of this, I mean, after all, we're the ones that get all of the games to play.
Sun 19/05/02 at 23:15
Its like this MS aint going to let the Xbox die. They have the money to keep it alive. After the Xbox price drop in Europe the Xbox and PS2 are running neck and neck in sales. And after the price drop in Australia it over took the PS2 in sales. Yes i Japan things are going a little rocky to say the least. But MS always knew they was going to have a tough time there. In America it is doing just fine. And with the price drop it is just things are just going to do better all around. The Xbox aint going anywhere. It will be here until MS decides to release the Xbox 2.
Sun 19/05/02 at 16:04
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Does anyone no how many consoles each company has sold?
Sat 18/05/02 at 19:14
Regular
Yes and if they all just joined together we'd have one small, powerful, stylish console with all the best games on it, if only.
Sat 18/05/02 at 18:48
RM18 wrote:
> There's not much I can say but good post really.
>
> As a closing sentiment I think that in this 'war' only one group of
> people, havily involved in the 'conflict', are in a win-win situation
> - us.
> Whatwever console(s) prevail, we will still get to play great games.

My sentiment exactly.
Sat 18/05/02 at 08:04
Regular
There's not much I can say but good post really.

As a closing sentiment I think that in this 'war' only one group of people, havily involved in the 'conflict', are in a win-win situation - us.
Whatwever console(s) prevail, we will still get to play great games.
Fri 17/05/02 at 23:49
I have seen a lot of console war topics since I have been here, most of them on the latest three next-gen consoles, and it is certainly a full on war between Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft isn't it.
There have been a lot of console wars over the past twenty years haven't there, and we wouldn't be where we are today if there weren't these console wars. Let's take a look into the past of console wars.

First up, we have: the spectrum, the commodore 64 and the Amstrad CPC464. This goes back a long way, mid 80s sometime. This is what got me into playing games really. The Spectrum turned out to be quite popular in the UK, with games like Skool Daze and Jet Set Willy, although I will always remember it for Spyhunter. The C64 became its direct competition, being a little more powerful and having more memory. The only thing I remember about the Amstrad was the fact that it had spreadsheets. While it was the Commodore that really dominated the world market, it was the Spectrum that took a firm grip in the UK.

Then, in enters the Japenese giants Nintendo and Sega. Nintendo released their NES Entertainment System first, and became a big hit everywhere, especially with games like Super Mario Brothers and Zelda. Then, Sega released their 8-bit console, the Master System. It was a little more advanced than the NES, and became quite popular with games like Outrun, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Wonder Boy. But, it was the NES that was triumphant in the first battle between Sega and Nintendo.

What next? Aah yes, the Atari ST and the Amiga, the two proper looking computers that could load games rapidly. I expect there are a lot of you out there that have fond memories of these two. I think everybody nows the result here. The more powerful Amiga, with games like Lemmings and Sensi Soccer, blew the Atari ST away, but it did try.

Next, the Japanese giants are back in action. This time, Sega release their console first, the 16-bit Megadrive. Despite games like Altered Beast (aaahhh, take it away), the Megadrive proved to be a hit, especially with Sega's mascot Sonic around. Nintendo then retaliated with the more powerful SNES, and once again, Nintendo took the world by storm with Mario and the like. This was a very close battle as both consoles did well and both had brilliant games, but Nintendo did it again, selling more.

We are now at the late 90s, and a new console maker arrives. Its Sony, with their Playstation, boldly taking on Sega and Nintendo. Sony's Playststion became a big hit, knocking Sega's Saturn for six. Games like Tomb Raider and GT made it an essential purchase. Nintendo came in very late with their 64-bit N64, but Nintendo kept with cartridges and these meant third party support became slim, and while it gave us some of the best multiplayer games around, the amount of games began to dwindle. Sega, once again, had a crack at Sony, with their 128-bit Dreamcast, and while it was a brilliant console, it just couldn't cope with the Playstation, and the PS2 hype and Sega left the console market to concentrate on games. Shame really.

So, when you look back on previous console wars, you can see that the console war going on now is very similar. One console gets released, becomes quite popular, then out comes another, more powerful console. But, it isn't the most powerful console that always won, it was the games. Nintendo certainly proved this against Sega, and Sony are showing it now. It was, is, and will always be the games that will win the war.
Each console is an army, and their games are its ammunition. Use their ammunition wisely,and they will prevail. This was the case then, it is the case now, it it will be the case in the future.

Besides, isn't it us, the gamers, that win out of this, I mean, after all, we're the ones that get all of the games to play.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.