GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best. Episode. Ever"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/05/02 at 16:21
Regular
I saw Attack of the Clones, and like everyone I was hoping, really hoping, that it wouldn't be a bit like the Phantom Menace. I was hoping it would be a bit like the original. And it blew my expectations away. By far. In all honesty, I've never seen a better episode of Star Wars. Sod New Hope, Empire, and Jedi. Clones is THE Star Wars episode for me, now.

There's a reason for this. I haven't grown up with all the expectations of the original trilogy, like some of you. It isn't like I'll look at Obi-Wan and say 'That's not Obi-Wan. Ben Kenobi is, like, older.' Ewan McGregor is Obi-Wan Kenobi more than Alec Guiness ever was, for me. It's a new series of films that a new series of Star Wars fans can see. Yeah, even The Phantom Menace is good. Not bloody brilliant, like Clones is, but good, in a way that set up the trilogy the way it needed to. And in some ways I think it ruled over the original trilogy. I could really see Darth Maul slicing Vader to bits. Vader was lumbering. Darth Maul was athletic and had the coolest lightsaber ever and fought two Jedi at once. He used cool things like using a droids head to open a door and Force-pushing Obi-Wan over the edge of that pit. Then there was Qui-Gon Jinn. Excellent. You've got a pretty strong parallel link with A New Hope there - mentor dying in combat with the Dark Jedi. Yeah, I liked Qui-Gon. He had a lightsaber and was the central character and was excellent in the final lightsaber battle. Kids who watch the new trilogy first will see him in the same way the first Star Wars fans saw Obi-Wan on the Death Star. And then there's the lightsaber battles in The Phantom Menace. They completely overawe any battle that the original trilogy can offer. Vader Vs Luke, twice, once in Bespin and once around Endor? Bah, Phantom Menace has a three-way battle that had so many twists and changes. It had Obi-Wan tapping into the Dark Side when his master died. It had sacrifice. It had a doubled bladed Sith lightsaber. It was amazing. Yeah, there's bad areas. Jar Jar springs to mind, along with the Oh Its Such A Shock Padme The Main Naboo Character Is The Queen Im Shocked. That has nothing on the shock of Darth Vader telling Luke - 'No. I am your father'. I watched Star Wars first with a couple of mates when I was 10. My dad had given my the vids and told me to watch them without telling me anything of the plot. And we all gasped when ader said that line. We were all smug with Solo, too young to see how fit Leia was and agreed instantly that Boba Fett was cool and he wasn't actually dead, not a chance.

So thats The Phantom Menace sorted. It doesn't have anything on Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi. I (and this is my personal opinion here) think it is better than A New Hope. But it wasn't the best episode I've ever seen. Then along comes Attack of the Clones. I tried not to get excited about it, but I did and cheered when the Stars Wars music began, along with half the cinema. By the end I was amazed. There's a whole load of new Star Wars memories ready for the making in that film. Battle of Hoth - best land battle ever in film history - beaten easily by Battle of Genosis. Stormtrooper-like Boba Fett helmet-like troops blasting the hell out of those poxy droids from Phantom Menace with massive blaster guns and being led into battle by Jedi. Lots of 'em. Not a small little green thing sitting in a swamp and a hermit on a sandball, but a whole group of them. With tentacles and big heads and a purple lightsaber. Oh yes. Mace Windu is the coolest Star Wars character ever, even cooler than Han Solo was. He has a purple lightsaber and acts hard and does a triple Jedi leapy mijig. He fights big beasties. He leads a massive group of Jedi's against a droid army, with Star Wars music hammering away at the speakers and the Jedi yelling and trashing the droids. Thats a scene that I'm going to remember for a very long time. Because thats what Star Wars is to me, now. It's not the original trilogy on it's own. It's going to be all 6, but I think I'm goin to prefer the first three. It's got Christopher Lee with a red lightsaber and him decking people. He's a superb villian. And the climatic lightsaber battle - beats even the Maul/Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan battle. You've got Obi-Wan trying to be calm, and Anakin being arrogant. There's the bit in the dark, when you just see their eyes when the lightsabers clash. Brilliant. Pure brilliance. Then, you've got Yoda. He's sweet with that lightsaber. Everyone in the cinema laughed when he did that kind of kung fu stance thing. Then he rocked and everyone stopped laughing.

I’m 17, still a kid until the government forces me to be an adult, and I say Attack of the Clones is the best Star Wars episode I’ve ever seen. It beat Empire Strikes Back, my previous favourite episode in the area that makes it brilliant – Hoth. The Battle of Genosis is excellent. No two ways about it. Everything about it is cool, from the moment you see Mace Windu striding towards Count Dooku to the climatic Yoda/Dooku battle, it’s unique and deserves to be seen as one of the greatest moments of film history.

And Natalie Portman is fit. Excellent.
Sun 19/05/02 at 00:53
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yeah, I read that on the IMDB. Yet they show clips of people getting blown up and their heads chopped off. Kerazzy!
Sat 18/05/02 at 23:48
Regular
"That's right!"
Did you know during the Obi Wan/Jango fight, they cut out a 1 second shot where Jango (I would imagine) headbutts Obi Wan. It was to ensure it got a PG rating. Strange, as I thought it should've been rated U, and that one tiny headbutt could never put it up to a 12

Stupid BBFC
Sat 18/05/02 at 21:49
"Mimmargh!"
RM18 wrote:
> Was sceptical, seen it and loved it. I was young when I saw the first
> trilogy and I can't really remember it now, but I don't want to see
> them again until after epsiode 3...I'm really into the
> following-the-story thingy.

Then that kind of ruins the whole Darth Vader bit in Empire Strikes Back...

Episode III should be the best out of the prequels when its made, I mean with the Empire emerging and Anakin turning evil and stuff its gonna be so damn good...
Sat 18/05/02 at 20:54
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Saw it. Twas good. Better than PM and ROJ, but not as good as ESB and ANH.
Sat 18/05/02 at 20:25
Regular
Was sceptical, seen it and loved it. I was young when I saw the first trilogy and I can't really remember it now, but I don't want to see them again until after epsiode 3...I'm really into the following-the-story thingy.
Fri 17/05/02 at 19:18
Regular
Sure. Sorry 'bout that. I made the same mistake when I wrote my Lord of the Rings review.
Fri 17/05/02 at 19:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Because I was reading and before I knew it I was in spoiler territory.

*shrugs*
Just annoying but not the end of the world.
You did make a good point that I'm responding to in a new post, gimme 10
Fri 17/05/02 at 19:03
Regular
Yeah, I read it. It depressed me, I wanted it to be great.Another thought - why did you read all of it when it became apparent there were spoilers, if you didn't want to find out anything?
Fri 17/05/02 at 18:54
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Monkey Man just said "Yoda fighting for about a minute", not "The Climactic battle between Yoda & Count Dooku"....

I'm watching it tomorrow night at the IMAX in Waterloo.
Digital Cinema rocks.
Fri 17/05/02 at 18:53
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
You obviously haven't read my review then.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.