GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Screenshots Schmeenshots!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/05/02 at 14:56
Regular
Screenshots - we see them all the time in gaming world, doing different jobs. Sometimes they can promoting games to give it some hype, sometimes to just show people what they can do and most of the time a bit of eye candy, to taunt us while they can play the game and we have to read about it. But most of time screenshots do their job and successfully complete the task they were set. Now however much I've made them sound like 00Agents, they're not, they're simply screenshots.

But even though they can do good things for us gamers, sometimes they really annoy, well, not actually the screenshots, but naïve gamers who use them as guides and start making decisions about a game before it's even hit the market or any gameplay elements have been revealed.

There is one title I could mention and everybody would think to themselves "Oh, now I get you." That title is Celda.

How many people have you heard or read moaning on about this title? In my case, too many. Because of it's newly acquired Cell-Shaded, Cartooned look, these NG's (Naïve Gamer's) start on about Nintendo being for kids. Right, of course Nintendo's for kids...

Because of this kiddie image that Nintendo have been branded with for ages more people have started to say they want a new Zelda. But why has all of this happened? Because of screenshots. They see what the game looks like and immediately think that the gameplay is going to reflect on what the games appearance is.

But it's not just people that think a game is going to be bad because of it's appearance, many gamers use screenshots as a guide (Which I have already mentioned) to choose what games to buy. Okay - so sometimes games can be used as minor guides, but not really to decide whether to buy a game or not.

Sometimes screenshots can determine gameplay elements. In Super Mario Sunshine many shots of him with a mysterious backpack on were revealed ages before the basic gameplay and plot were revealed, so obviously if you studied the screenshot closely (Basically - looked at it) you could tell that it was a weapon of some sort that fired water because there was a water gauge on the bottom right corner.

But still, even in cases like this, you can't really use it as a guide because the game isn't going to be out for a long time and there are going to be reviews in magazines to help you decide what to get.

So really, I don't see why screenshots are used so often. I can see why companies might want to release so many, to hype the game until it's released, but surely they should know that shots may be misused as guides of what to buy instead of looking at reviews and asking people whether it's good or not. But regardless, this still happens. It doesn't really effect gamers who know what they're talking about, but random comments and moaning can get very annoying from time to time.

So heres a quick note for those of you who take screenshots for granted: DON'T!

Thanks for reading (For those of you who need pictures to understand *Holds up drawing of someone waving*)

RiCkOsS
Sat 18/05/02 at 18:01
Regular
Sgt Pepper wrote:
> yeah, and screenshot only serve to send me into a violent rage from
> time to time. This is because of my lack of money, I will see a game
> yet to be / has been released, and realize I do not have enough money
> to buy it. I will get home, go on the internet, and without a doubt, I
> will see the screenshots for the game I want. I will then turn off my
> computer (without using the shutdown procedure) and go on a killing
> spree, stopping for neither man nor beast.
>
> so there

Hmmmm, that's just a bit scary...
Sat 18/05/02 at 12:31
Regular
yeah, and screenshot only serve to send me into a violent rage from time to time. This is because of my lack of money, I will see a game yet to be / has been released, and realize I do not have enough money to buy it. I will get home, go on the internet, and without a doubt, I will see the screenshots for the game I want. I will then turn off my computer (without using the shutdown procedure) and go on a killing spree, stopping for neither man nor beast.

so there
Sat 18/05/02 at 12:14
Regular
Okay, people. Look at it this way. You don't know much about gaming and you've baught a GameCube. You never buy magazines, so you don't know anything about any game. I show you a picture of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and then Animal Crossing, which are you going to buy...?

Now I hope you understand.
Sat 18/05/02 at 11:57
Regular
I like looking at screenshots, but I don't necessarily trust them.
Some screenshots make games look worse than they actually are. Cel-shaded screenshots tend to look bad but when you see the cel-shaded graphics in action they look tens times nicer.
But of course it all comes down to gameplay, so even though I like to look - and I don't trust.
Sat 18/05/02 at 08:02
Regular
I think the function of screenshots is to get people talking, build anticipation etc. As Miytamoto said recently, talking about the game has become a part of gameplay. Screenshots is a way to build anticipation - look how we all speculated about the new Mario and Zelda. Does that make us want it even more? Yes. Whilst I don't think anyone buys a game on the screenshots alone, I still think they serve a very important purpose.
Sat 18/05/02 at 07:18
Regular
I only use screenshots to determine whether to get a game, if I know I already want it, but jhust want to see what it looks like. Zelda on Gamecube for example. Whatever Nintendo are going to do, whether it be cel-shaded or whatever, I know it's going to be good, but screenshots just give me a litlle taster, and that makes me want a game even more. Depening if it's good of course.
Sat 18/05/02 at 00:00
Screenshots don't help me decide what game to get. All they show off are the graphics and not the gameplay! It is normally a demo that sways me.
Fri 17/05/02 at 23:53
Regular
I rarely use screenshots as an actual decided as to which games to pick. The only time I do is when I want to choose between two games and I can't decide as I'm on the spot, so I look at the screenshots to see which looks more appealing to me...

...then take the game back cos it's rubbish and go for the other lol
Fri 17/05/02 at 14:56
Regular
Screenshots - we see them all the time in gaming world, doing different jobs. Sometimes they can promoting games to give it some hype, sometimes to just show people what they can do and most of the time a bit of eye candy, to taunt us while they can play the game and we have to read about it. But most of time screenshots do their job and successfully complete the task they were set. Now however much I've made them sound like 00Agents, they're not, they're simply screenshots.

But even though they can do good things for us gamers, sometimes they really annoy, well, not actually the screenshots, but naïve gamers who use them as guides and start making decisions about a game before it's even hit the market or any gameplay elements have been revealed.

There is one title I could mention and everybody would think to themselves "Oh, now I get you." That title is Celda.

How many people have you heard or read moaning on about this title? In my case, too many. Because of it's newly acquired Cell-Shaded, Cartooned look, these NG's (Naïve Gamer's) start on about Nintendo being for kids. Right, of course Nintendo's for kids...

Because of this kiddie image that Nintendo have been branded with for ages more people have started to say they want a new Zelda. But why has all of this happened? Because of screenshots. They see what the game looks like and immediately think that the gameplay is going to reflect on what the games appearance is.

But it's not just people that think a game is going to be bad because of it's appearance, many gamers use screenshots as a guide (Which I have already mentioned) to choose what games to buy. Okay - so sometimes games can be used as minor guides, but not really to decide whether to buy a game or not.

Sometimes screenshots can determine gameplay elements. In Super Mario Sunshine many shots of him with a mysterious backpack on were revealed ages before the basic gameplay and plot were revealed, so obviously if you studied the screenshot closely (Basically - looked at it) you could tell that it was a weapon of some sort that fired water because there was a water gauge on the bottom right corner.

But still, even in cases like this, you can't really use it as a guide because the game isn't going to be out for a long time and there are going to be reviews in magazines to help you decide what to get.

So really, I don't see why screenshots are used so often. I can see why companies might want to release so many, to hype the game until it's released, but surely they should know that shots may be misused as guides of what to buy instead of looking at reviews and asking people whether it's good or not. But regardless, this still happens. It doesn't really effect gamers who know what they're talking about, but random comments and moaning can get very annoying from time to time.

So heres a quick note for those of you who take screenshots for granted: DON'T!

Thanks for reading (For those of you who need pictures to understand *Holds up drawing of someone waving*)

RiCkOsS

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.