GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Yes I have seen Star Wars Episode 2 - You May Touch Me !"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/05/02 at 18:54
Regular
Excellent film people ! You all have to see it. :-) Theres plenty of lines said that really make you snigger if you know the other films inside out like most of us do. ;-))

Natalie Portman is also looking damn fine. ;-p Anyway, My Dad wants to see it at some point soon so I have an excuse to go see it again in the near future. :-)
Sat 18/05/02 at 16:39
Yoda's fight sequence was as funny as hell but it was over in about 10 seconds.....
Sat 18/05/02 at 15:01
Regular
"That's right!"
"Anakin gave birth to Luke"

Wouldn't that hurt?

Anyway, er-no, there were kids and mothers talking throughout Episode 2 for me too, though I didn't slap them, heh

But, may I ask, why were you in a cinema seeing Monsters Inc? Quite puzzling...
Sat 18/05/02 at 14:09
[Contains minor spoilers]

Just saw this film last night (before drinking myself stupid, as many of you will know!). Here's my mixed views on the film.

Right. First things first. It's better than, and in every way makes up for, Episode 1. They've done a great thing in removing the block of wood that was carefully moulded to resemble Ewan McGregor and replacing it with the real actor; while his affected English accent grates at times, he does a superb job with a frankly unkind script.

The main lure of the film is nostalgic. It really is sooo much more fulfilling seen as part of the series than as a standalone. Recognising the precursors to the Imperial Star Destroyers; suddenly seeing the link between Jango Fett's armour and that of the Stormtroopers; Seeing the grandaddy of the AT-ATs on the battlefield. Working out the dynasy lines of the Jedi (Yoda trained Dooku, Dooku trained Qui Gon, Qui Gon trained Obi Wan, Obi Wan trained Anakin, Anakin gave birth to Luke who eventually trained under Yoda). Seeing the initial plans for the Death Star. Ooh, so many things, so many little thrills.

Of course, the big thrills are pretty good as well. The fight sequences are nothing short of stunning, with Yoda's battle with Dooku being a particularly good example. At first, this portion of the film had the audience in stitches; he really does look like a glove puppet pulling Matrix poses. Then they start fighting... If it had been just a fraction slower, it would have been shat. As it was, it was possibly the most awesome one-on-one fight of the saga so far.

The main complaint with the film was the cheese, somewhat inevitably. The film was essentially split into two parts; one followed Anakin's path, as he gradually looses faith in the Jedi order, through his love for Padme and the loss of his mother. The other follows Obi Wan, as he hunts down the bounty hunter Jango Fett. While the Obi Wan thread was joyous to watch, it was often marred by the aftertaste of the Anakin scene before it; one of Anakin's lines had the entire cinema simultaniously place their heads in their hands. To be fair, Haydn was not the man for the job. While his portrayal of Anakin's slight into doubt and anger was exemplary, his romantic side did a fine reprise of Ewan's performance from the previous film.

His was the only part that lacked, though; Yoda was on good form, and Samuel L was everything you'd expect from Samuel L. Looking down at Jango's corpse, he pauses; the film's a 'U', but you can still hear, in your head, the faint echo of 'Mother F@cker'.

Technically, the film lacked; the change to DV was hardly apparent, and a good many of the special effect and backdrops jarred against the senses. The film was visually spectacular, and I'm charitably believing that my working with the stuff has given me a trained eye, but there were moments where you could actually sense the bluescreen. Mercifully, Jar Jar's presence was a mere formality.

Overall, then. Some riseable scripting hindered the film slightly, with unneccessary one-liners waylaying the plot too often. The romance was horrifically contrived ("Wearing a dress like that, WHAT THE F@CK DOES SHE EXPECT?!?"), with the WORST chat-up line I have ever had the privilage of watching. You'll know what I mean when you see it. Seriously, seriously bad. Haydn's acting could have been better; he fluctuated between being a perfect pre-Vader incarnate and purest essence of log. Other than that, it was... Star Wars. In all its jaw-dropping, pant-wetting, fidgiting-on-seat-for-Episode-3 Star Wars-ness. And thus, a very solid 8/10.
Sat 18/05/02 at 12:33
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Quick note to anyone thats interested - Star Wars Episode 2 apparently is going to be released on region 1 on October 16th 2002. So some of you might wanna start putting some pennies aside for it. ;-)
Sat 18/05/02 at 11:50
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Hence why I went early while the little turds are at school.
Sat 18/05/02 at 01:26
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
er-no wrote:
> Seriously? Well.. you should have asked her to be quiet... and if she
> didn't listen after that polite notice inform the staff member at the
> door and if that don't work... slap her and her child.
>
> I hate kids in cinemas. They ruined Monsters Inc for me... damn them.

Nah i couldnt do that, she was just trying to explain what was going on to her kid. Now the wee $%£! that was kicking the back of my chair, i would have ripped out his spine if the law allowed it.
Sat 18/05/02 at 01:06
Regular
"everyone says it"
cookie monster wrote:
> I had to say i really enjoyed the film, although there was a woman
> talking through the film reading the subtitles out to her kid who was
> obviously too young to read or too stupid to care.

Seriously? Well.. you should have asked her to be quiet... and if she didn't listen after that polite notice inform the staff member at the door and if that don't work... slap her and her child.

I hate kids in cinemas. They ruined Monsters Inc for me... damn them.
Sat 18/05/02 at 00:41
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I had to say i really enjoyed the film, although there was a woman talking through the film reading the subtitles out to her kid who was obviously too young to read or too stupid to care.
Fri 17/05/02 at 23:38
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
George Lucas.
Fri 17/05/02 at 23:37
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
He hobbles along with his walking stick
He fights
He bounces around a bit and slices a few things
He stop
He grabs his walking stick and continues to hobble

Thats the Yoda fight scene!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.