GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass'.
Sat 23/02/08 at 18:29
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I would love to start this review by saying that I love handhelds. I’d like to say that I bought my GBA, then GBA SP, then DS, then DS Lite, and then PSP, all because I loved the new features they had, and the innovation they brought with them. I’d like to tell you that playing at home in my comfy beanbag, cup of tea next to me, is as good as sitting on the bus, an obese Chinese businessman screaming on the phone next to me, playing my mobile console.

In truth, I can’t. I bought all those consoles because I’m easily swayed by marketing. I’d sooner play a crap 3D version of Snakes on my phone than sit down to an epic tale in those 5 minute gaps between lectures.

Not even my favourite RPG-on-handheld swayed me.

Until now.

Phantom Hourglass takes place some time after the adventures of Link in Wind Waker. Link, having taken a seat at the helm of TETRA’S MAD PIRATE GANG, is seen together with aforementioned GANG wisely advising his cohort to not, not, definitely NOT board a mysterious ghost ship that they come across. Hilarity ensues when, sure enough, Tetra takes a walk on the wildly stupid side and tries to steal things FROM A GHOST SHIP. In an almost deserved tragedy, the ship disappears with lady on board, Link all the while trying to save her. Thankfully, his attempts were futile leaving us around 20 hours of adventuring, cursing and drawing ahead.

With the story being as contrived as it is, it’s only right that playing the game is an incredible experience. For the most part, it’s a top-down adventure game; travelling across The Great Sea of Hyrule, Link must collecting various shiny relics, Small Keys, gems and treasure from towns, dungeons, temples and the blue deep itself in order to establish the meaning of the Ghost Ship and find out how to get the girl. Soon into he journey you are accompanied by a cowardly ship-captain Linebeck, who provides advice whilst cleverly avoiding any of the exploring. It’s also around this time that you’ll get to board your vessel for the first time, and see how sailing should have been before.

Unlike Wind Waker, the ship is not directly controlled by Link. Instead, your route is drawn on a sea map in advance using the stylus. Whilst it can be changed at any time to reflect a new course, it allows for much easier sea combat and also for the inclusion of obstacles and puzzles on the water. No more boring waits to cross the sea either – the area is smaller (most probably due to DS limitations) and so much faster to cross.

Don’t let this make you think the game is sparse, however. The DS can still pack a powerful punch in presenting an amazingly realised game world, full of surprises. Using a scaled back version of the inimitable Wind Waker graphics style, waves lap, explosions smoke and wind blows just as beautifully as it did on the bigger screen. The inferior power of the DS compared to GC still renders Hyrule fantastically.
So what’s the point of the Phantom Hourglass? At the core of the game is a certain temple which, to most, would poison them on entering. The holder of the Phantom Hourglass, however, can walk around at will safely until the sands of time run out. In this temple lie the clues to not only the next island or dungeon to visit, but also eventually the location and story behind the Ghost Ship. In order to explore further into the temple, though, more sand must be acquired for the hourglass. Cue dungeon boss battles, treasure chest quest and hidden areas, all to obtain just a little extra of the elusive sand. Furthermore, with each dungeon completed and new item received, parts of the temple which had been previously off-limits become open – but only if you can utilise your finds to get to them.

Old Zelda stalwart items make a return to the stage too – expect bombs, boomerangs and bows amongst other, more original weaponry. Although some may criticise a lack of ingenuity by reusing some of the items, the implementation of each on the DS’ unique hardware is interesting, oft amazing. The boomerang’s path can be plotted on the bottom screen, bows pulled back by the stylus and even the cannon on the ship simply fired by tapping to launch. Not wanting to spoil all the surprises, you’ll even find yourself shouting at the DS, or closing the thing altogether…

Whilst Phantom Hourglass doesn’t have the longevity of Twilight Princess (at around 20 hours you’re still getting your money’s worth) or the audio clarity of its brethren Wind Waker, it’s easy to forget your playing a handheld game – a DS game no less. This, in fact, is what amazes me most. For the first time in a long while, I want to play a proper adventure, on the go. I want to have 10 minutes of Zelda-loving whilst I wait for my lecturer to turn up. Those train journeys I would while away with my iPod? Now I pass them defeating ridiculous, stunning bosses on the way to work. I’m so convinced now by my DS’ ability to entertain that I’ve invested in FFXII: Revenant Wings. It had better be good though, or it’s back to the trusty Wii for me…
Thu 28/02/08 at 12:20
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I didn't get the big deal with Minish Cap, but PH is pretty damn awesome.
Thu 28/02/08 at 11:06
"possibly impossible"
Nice review. Makes me think to give handheld Zelda's another try. They just don't keep my attention for too long, though.
Sat 23/02/08 at 18:29
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I would love to start this review by saying that I love handhelds. I’d like to say that I bought my GBA, then GBA SP, then DS, then DS Lite, and then PSP, all because I loved the new features they had, and the innovation they brought with them. I’d like to tell you that playing at home in my comfy beanbag, cup of tea next to me, is as good as sitting on the bus, an obese Chinese businessman screaming on the phone next to me, playing my mobile console.

In truth, I can’t. I bought all those consoles because I’m easily swayed by marketing. I’d sooner play a crap 3D version of Snakes on my phone than sit down to an epic tale in those 5 minute gaps between lectures.

Not even my favourite RPG-on-handheld swayed me.

Until now.

Phantom Hourglass takes place some time after the adventures of Link in Wind Waker. Link, having taken a seat at the helm of TETRA’S MAD PIRATE GANG, is seen together with aforementioned GANG wisely advising his cohort to not, not, definitely NOT board a mysterious ghost ship that they come across. Hilarity ensues when, sure enough, Tetra takes a walk on the wildly stupid side and tries to steal things FROM A GHOST SHIP. In an almost deserved tragedy, the ship disappears with lady on board, Link all the while trying to save her. Thankfully, his attempts were futile leaving us around 20 hours of adventuring, cursing and drawing ahead.

With the story being as contrived as it is, it’s only right that playing the game is an incredible experience. For the most part, it’s a top-down adventure game; travelling across The Great Sea of Hyrule, Link must collecting various shiny relics, Small Keys, gems and treasure from towns, dungeons, temples and the blue deep itself in order to establish the meaning of the Ghost Ship and find out how to get the girl. Soon into he journey you are accompanied by a cowardly ship-captain Linebeck, who provides advice whilst cleverly avoiding any of the exploring. It’s also around this time that you’ll get to board your vessel for the first time, and see how sailing should have been before.

Unlike Wind Waker, the ship is not directly controlled by Link. Instead, your route is drawn on a sea map in advance using the stylus. Whilst it can be changed at any time to reflect a new course, it allows for much easier sea combat and also for the inclusion of obstacles and puzzles on the water. No more boring waits to cross the sea either – the area is smaller (most probably due to DS limitations) and so much faster to cross.

Don’t let this make you think the game is sparse, however. The DS can still pack a powerful punch in presenting an amazingly realised game world, full of surprises. Using a scaled back version of the inimitable Wind Waker graphics style, waves lap, explosions smoke and wind blows just as beautifully as it did on the bigger screen. The inferior power of the DS compared to GC still renders Hyrule fantastically.
So what’s the point of the Phantom Hourglass? At the core of the game is a certain temple which, to most, would poison them on entering. The holder of the Phantom Hourglass, however, can walk around at will safely until the sands of time run out. In this temple lie the clues to not only the next island or dungeon to visit, but also eventually the location and story behind the Ghost Ship. In order to explore further into the temple, though, more sand must be acquired for the hourglass. Cue dungeon boss battles, treasure chest quest and hidden areas, all to obtain just a little extra of the elusive sand. Furthermore, with each dungeon completed and new item received, parts of the temple which had been previously off-limits become open – but only if you can utilise your finds to get to them.

Old Zelda stalwart items make a return to the stage too – expect bombs, boomerangs and bows amongst other, more original weaponry. Although some may criticise a lack of ingenuity by reusing some of the items, the implementation of each on the DS’ unique hardware is interesting, oft amazing. The boomerang’s path can be plotted on the bottom screen, bows pulled back by the stylus and even the cannon on the ship simply fired by tapping to launch. Not wanting to spoil all the surprises, you’ll even find yourself shouting at the DS, or closing the thing altogether…

Whilst Phantom Hourglass doesn’t have the longevity of Twilight Princess (at around 20 hours you’re still getting your money’s worth) or the audio clarity of its brethren Wind Waker, it’s easy to forget your playing a handheld game – a DS game no less. This, in fact, is what amazes me most. For the first time in a long while, I want to play a proper adventure, on the go. I want to have 10 minutes of Zelda-loving whilst I wait for my lecturer to turn up. Those train journeys I would while away with my iPod? Now I pass them defeating ridiculous, stunning bosses on the way to work. I’m so convinced now by my DS’ ability to entertain that I’ve invested in FFXII: Revenant Wings. It had better be good though, or it’s back to the trusty Wii for me…

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.