GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Learning C++ - Looking for a Book Recommendation"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/02/08 at 16:59
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I'm looking to start learning some C++, and having had an admittedly brief shifty round some Amazon reviews it seems that views are conflicting where the reader has either little or no programming exp, and those who have non-C style experience.

I'm a second year CS student who has studied intermediate-level Python, C and Java, plus a little PHP just for the banter. Does anyone have any recommendations into books / courses / websites that could provided some good tutorials and lessons on how to get started?

ps. I'm aware this is a web dev forum, but I figure it's the closest one to fitting.
Wed 27/02/08 at 17:50
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
NOW they tell me!
Wed 27/02/08 at 13:06
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
If you only got to malloc(), you should probably begin by learning about free() :-p
Wed 27/02/08 at 10:17
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Thanks folks - I'll have a look into both recommendations. I might also try learning C more thoroughly, our course got to 'malloc' before it was cruelly cut short by exam time.
Sat 23/02/08 at 21:13
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Nah, OOP was around before even C existed.
Sat 23/02/08 at 18:57
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Garin wrote:
> Not a big fan of recommending books in these circumstances.
> Learning is a personal experience and so what style works for one
> isnt necessarily helpful to another. And I think thats why you
> find many of the amazon reviews are so contradictory.
>
> If it were me learning C++ though. I'd just buy Bjarne
> Stroustrup's book and supplement it with Google.

Have you learned C first? This great language has spawned many 'sons' and 'daughters' and its structure 'class' has got to be the forerunner of OOP - it's a delight to create, but here's a recommendation of a couple that may help:

Osborne "Teach yourself C/C++" by Herbert Schildt (2 books here - C and C++ - great guy) and SAMS C++ and C++Builder4 - may be totally out-of-date now but the basics etc are there.
Sat 23/02/08 at 17:32
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Not a big fan of recommending books in these circumstances. Learning is a personal experience and so what style works for one isnt necessarily helpful to another. And I think thats why you find many of the amazon reviews are so contradictory.

If it were me learning C++ though. I'd just buy Bjarne Stroustrup's book and supplement it with Google.
Sat 23/02/08 at 16:59
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I'm looking to start learning some C++, and having had an admittedly brief shifty round some Amazon reviews it seems that views are conflicting where the reader has either little or no programming exp, and those who have non-C style experience.

I'm a second year CS student who has studied intermediate-level Python, C and Java, plus a little PHP just for the banter. Does anyone have any recommendations into books / courses / websites that could provided some good tutorials and lessons on how to get started?

ps. I'm aware this is a web dev forum, but I figure it's the closest one to fitting.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.