GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rogue Galaxy - Review"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Rogue Galaxy'.
Thu 21/02/08 at 15:03
Regular
"THFC"
For those of you who do not know anything about this game, it was developed by Level 5 Games - these guys are fantastic and i would recommend any game they have had their hands on!

Rogue Galaxy is a futuristic RPG which in my opinion is everything Final Fantasy 12 should have been!

You start out as a young and ambitious man named Jaster Rogue. Living on a desert planet you help out your foster father and various people on the planet. Within minutes of pressing X to start you are in the action as a Large creature is attacking the residential area. You soon get caught up with a shaddy but powerful man - who helps with the basics of battling, much like Final Fantasy 12 - where you are in control of one character but have the option to take over others.

Without going into too much detail you basically have full control of that charatcer, you can move, jump, use a primary and secondary weapon, any abilities you gain and items.

So begins the story of Jaster Rogue - you get mixed up with some pirates who think you are a famous bounty hunter "Desert Claw" - you leave with them promising you will come back and make your home planet better (kind of like Star Wars!)
Then in a Kingdom hearts style story you see yourself go from planet to planet getting mixed up with a person/event and having to spend time helping people out. Meeting interesting people and new recruits on the way, Rogue Galaxy constantly sees characters with their own personality become key to the game. Seeing all the new Planets, and what enemies it has to offer.

Abilites are learnt in what is called "revelation" form, basically by placing certain items together you can leanr new skills. Giving an interesting twist on just leveling up, you can choose who to make stronger, what you want to learn etc. Withi the first few hours you obtain the ability to synthesize weapons, a feature i always love in RPG's because you can find yourself with fantastic new weapons all the time. You also gain a "factory" allowing you to create new items to then purchase in shops.

Whilst being vague in the description above if i was to go into detail you would be reading for hours. The attention to detail is great, but do not be put off by thinking there is loads to learn and hard to play. It is really simple - but at the same time challenging enough to keep you playing.

On top of all these great little features, an interesting story, and immense graphics(which i will talk about shortly) there is another side quest / mini game called insectron. You capture insects and raise them by battling and feeding them, making them stronger so you can compete in tournaments. There is a good range of insects to catch and raise - then the ability to breed them is great. This mini game is almost a whole new game in its-self!

Now, the graphics, a wonderful mix of cel-shaded and 3-d, all in rich colour and detailed enviroments. The cut-scenes really make you stop and say WOW. On top of which the voice acting is great. They fit in well with the character and all have their unique sound and accent. You will find yourself totally immersed within this game. I played over 10 hours in 3 days, now considering i work 9-10 hours a day you can appreciate all my free time was on this game.

In conclusion - this is possibly sitting in my top 5 RPG's. i possibly would say top 3 and you will be hard pushed to find a flaw in the game. Read any other review and they will be as positive as this. I love the Final Fantasy series, but 12 for me was a let down. The battle system did not work with the game and the story was just not good enough to keep me hooked. The characters were so-so (except Balthier) But this game really does take everything from 12 and improve on it by a large amount!

You can pick this game up for like £13 - it is the best bit of money you can spend.
I am going to give this game a 9/10

A game has to be very special to get this kind of score and this truly is. You will not be mad or angry
Fri 29/02/08 at 07:37
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I bought Rogue Galaxy at the same time as FFXII, so I gave Rogue Galaxy a quick blast just to make sure I'd be investing copious amounts of time to it later on (I will be) then played FFXII first. By the time I got around to Rogue Galaxy again I'd picked up a copy of Guitar Hero III, which has kept me very busy. Then Phantasy Star Universe got a major update so that got me involved for another month or so. And then The Club arrived and I had to give that a go.

Then I started getting an irrational urge to keep levelling up in Call of Duty 4 and finish off some of the challenges, and for some strange reason I found myself playing Tiger Woods 07 for a few achievements. Currently I've just started on Eternal Sonata and I'm picking up Lost Odyssey today. I was going to leave Lost Odyssey until much later on but a post on the xbox forums that ran to 3 pages of people discussing which bits of the game made them cry the most moved it up on my 'to get' list.

Whilst I'm picking up Lost Odyssey I'll probably nab Persona 3 which also comes out today, and I've got a yearning to do another couple of run throughs of Mass Effect. By the time I've finished mucking around with all of these I've got the prospect of Too Human, Viking: Battle for Asguard and GTA: IV looming. And then of course Fable 2 will be upon us.

So despite Rogue Galaxy being probably one of the best RPGs in my collection at present, it's just not getting a look in. So many games, so little time!
Fri 22/02/08 at 08:39
Regular
"THFC"
If you liked Final Fantasy 12 - with the graphics of Dragon Quest. Then you will be hooked on this game and love every minute.
Thu 21/02/08 at 20:00
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Think Game might have it as a Sale item at the moment, so I might check it out.
Thu 21/02/08 at 15:03
Regular
"THFC"
For those of you who do not know anything about this game, it was developed by Level 5 Games - these guys are fantastic and i would recommend any game they have had their hands on!

Rogue Galaxy is a futuristic RPG which in my opinion is everything Final Fantasy 12 should have been!

You start out as a young and ambitious man named Jaster Rogue. Living on a desert planet you help out your foster father and various people on the planet. Within minutes of pressing X to start you are in the action as a Large creature is attacking the residential area. You soon get caught up with a shaddy but powerful man - who helps with the basics of battling, much like Final Fantasy 12 - where you are in control of one character but have the option to take over others.

Without going into too much detail you basically have full control of that charatcer, you can move, jump, use a primary and secondary weapon, any abilities you gain and items.

So begins the story of Jaster Rogue - you get mixed up with some pirates who think you are a famous bounty hunter "Desert Claw" - you leave with them promising you will come back and make your home planet better (kind of like Star Wars!)
Then in a Kingdom hearts style story you see yourself go from planet to planet getting mixed up with a person/event and having to spend time helping people out. Meeting interesting people and new recruits on the way, Rogue Galaxy constantly sees characters with their own personality become key to the game. Seeing all the new Planets, and what enemies it has to offer.

Abilites are learnt in what is called "revelation" form, basically by placing certain items together you can leanr new skills. Giving an interesting twist on just leveling up, you can choose who to make stronger, what you want to learn etc. Withi the first few hours you obtain the ability to synthesize weapons, a feature i always love in RPG's because you can find yourself with fantastic new weapons all the time. You also gain a "factory" allowing you to create new items to then purchase in shops.

Whilst being vague in the description above if i was to go into detail you would be reading for hours. The attention to detail is great, but do not be put off by thinking there is loads to learn and hard to play. It is really simple - but at the same time challenging enough to keep you playing.

On top of all these great little features, an interesting story, and immense graphics(which i will talk about shortly) there is another side quest / mini game called insectron. You capture insects and raise them by battling and feeding them, making them stronger so you can compete in tournaments. There is a good range of insects to catch and raise - then the ability to breed them is great. This mini game is almost a whole new game in its-self!

Now, the graphics, a wonderful mix of cel-shaded and 3-d, all in rich colour and detailed enviroments. The cut-scenes really make you stop and say WOW. On top of which the voice acting is great. They fit in well with the character and all have their unique sound and accent. You will find yourself totally immersed within this game. I played over 10 hours in 3 days, now considering i work 9-10 hours a day you can appreciate all my free time was on this game.

In conclusion - this is possibly sitting in my top 5 RPG's. i possibly would say top 3 and you will be hard pushed to find a flaw in the game. Read any other review and they will be as positive as this. I love the Final Fantasy series, but 12 for me was a let down. The battle system did not work with the game and the story was just not good enough to keep me hooked. The characters were so-so (except Balthier) But this game really does take everything from 12 and improve on it by a large amount!

You can pick this game up for like £13 - it is the best bit of money you can spend.
I am going to give this game a 9/10

A game has to be very special to get this kind of score and this truly is. You will not be mad or angry

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.