GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CSS body being ignored"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/02/08 at 10:48
"nitrogoat.co.uk"
Hi,
My page loads an external style sheet, all of which works well and so i know it is being loaded properly. The only problem is that i cannot get anything in the BODY {

}

to work properly.
In order to get my page's background to show i have to add this css to the html source of my page, and so i know i haven't made any errors. I.e the link to the background is correct-

body
{ background-image: url("/images/background.jpg");
}

This problem seems to occur for anything i include in the BODY tag as i have also set the default font for my webpage in this tag. It works when the CSS is included directly on the page, but not when loaded externally.

Please help!
Tue 30/11/10 at 17:33
"Are you sure?"
Hi Go Condo,
Did you see this was a very old thread that's been woken up :¬)

Feb 2008! So I'm not sure if the OP is still around...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 30/11/10 at 15:29
Regular
:. nitro_goat .: wrote:
Hi,
My page loads an external style sheet, all of which works well and so i know it is being loaded properly. The only problem is that i cannot get anything in the BODY {

}

to work properly.
In order to get my page's background to show i have to add this css to the html source of my page, and so i know i haven't made any errors. I.e the link to the background is correct-

body
{ background-image: url("/images/background.jpg");
}

This problem seems to occur for anything i include in the BODY tag as i have also set the default font for my webpage in this tag. It works when the CSS is included directly on the page, but not when loaded externally.

Please help!

So I finally found the problem in my case. Again I had the same symptom after installing PHP 5.3.

I opened the CSS file from IE and saw an error message from PHP about undefined variable. It looks like from PHP 5.3, you receieve errors about undefined variables. PHP is not smart enough to realize that this is CSS and not HTML in order to prevent the adding of the error message.

I hope it helps.
Tue 30/11/10 at 12:45
"Are you sure?"
Hi webcity1,
Did you see this was a very old thread that's been woken up :¬)

Feb 2008! So I'm not sure if the OP is still around...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 30/11/10 at 12:19
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
have you taken the suggestion to use firebug? if you can't see the style being applied when you select the body element can you post a reply showing the section html where the css stylesheet is loaded. if possible provide a link to your site
Mon 29/11/10 at 16:48
Regular
I had the same problem after installing PHP 5.3. When I used PHP 5.2 the body part of my css worked, but when I switched to PHP 5.3 it stopped working. I had the same symptom as you - the background was ignored/white.

I corrected the problem by created a dummy div before the body. You can check it on my Condo Toronto website It looks to me like abug.

Again, make sure the body is not the first defintion in your css. Let me know if it worked.
Mon 25/02/08 at 17:06
Regular
Few things I would check right away:

1) make sure there is no in-line CSS rule set in your or tags, as these override rules from external stylesheets.

2) make sure you don't have rules for BODY or HTML in the

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.