GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Optical Leads..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/05/02 at 11:49
Regular
To get decent sound I had pulled out the red & white wires (originals PS 2 Leads) and connected them to my HIFI and the yellow one (video in) into the TV so that I could connect my HIFI to my TV.

However I recently bought a brand new optical lead off e-bay, which Ive connected to the PS 2 and then into my HIFI but now I have no sound from my HIFI, correct me if im wrong but aren't they meant to give out digital sound? I have enabled Digital optical 'On' from the configuration menu and tried switching to different channels on my HIFI (Video 1, 2 etc) but nothing, I know the lead is doing something because there is a red light which comes on.

I also have an MD player in which I use a different optical lead for digital recording and it works fine.

Has anyone got an Optical lead for the PS 2? If so how do they work and am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help

Neo.
Wed 15/05/02 at 11:49
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
To get decent sound I had pulled out the red & white wires (originals PS 2 Leads) and connected them to my HIFI and the yellow one (video in) into the TV so that I could connect my HIFI to my TV.

However I recently bought a brand new optical lead off e-bay, which Ive connected to the PS 2 and then into my HIFI but now I have no sound from my HIFI, correct me if im wrong but aren't they meant to give out digital sound? I have enabled Digital optical 'On' from the configuration menu and tried switching to different channels on my HIFI (Video 1, 2 etc) but nothing, I know the lead is doing something because there is a red light which comes on.

I also have an MD player in which I use a different optical lead for digital recording and it works fine.

Has anyone got an Optical lead for the PS 2? If so how do they work and am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help

Neo.
Wed 15/05/02 at 13:08
Regular
Not completly sure but has your stereo has got optical out and optical in?
It could be a easy mistake to plug the lead into the optical out on the Hi-fi...
Wed 15/05/02 at 13:17
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Is your HIFI dolby digital?

I suspect it aint so first of all you want to switch DD off on the PS2 menu - you run the risk of damaging your speakers otherwise..

Check you have connected the optical lead to an Optical IN on your stereo and check the source. I have 2 on mine DAT and CD so I use one of those..
Wed 15/05/02 at 14:01
"MMMMM, Chicken"
Have you actually turned the optical out on from the playstation 2's configuration menu? It seems you may have missed this if you were using leads from the AV out previously.
Wed 15/05/02 at 14:30
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
genesisofthesith wrote:
> Have you actually turned the optical out on from the playstation 2's
> configuration menu? It seems you may have missed this if you were
> using leads from the AV out previously.

from above...

"I have enabled Digital optical 'On' from the configuration menu and tried switching to different channels on my HIFI (Video 1, 2 etc)"
Wed 15/05/02 at 14:32
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Or†ega wrote:
> Not completly sure but has your stereo has got optical out and optical
> in?
> It could be a easy mistake to plug the lead into the optical out on
> the Hi-fi...

Think this might be the problem, I have one optical port on my HIFI, but I think it might an Optical Out now...i'll have to check on it when I get home

this probably means the lead is no good to me?
Wed 15/05/02 at 19:13
Regular
you've checked the cable hasn't been broken by swapping it for the MD cable, so its probably the hifi settings

If my yamaha receiver isn't set to auto then it needs to be set to the correct type of output either dts 5.1, dolby digital of prologic otherwise it doesn't give an output.

its worth persevering, the surround sound is great
Thu 16/05/02 at 16:34
Have you just tried this in games or have you tried it with a DVD as well, the reason I ask is DD5.1 and DTS are the only formats you can output digitaly on a ps2 and the ps2 can't handle real-time dolby digital encoding(although it is used for some in-game music and cut-scenes) and forget pro-logic as that is an analouge format achievable with just the red and white rca lead(the surround channel is matrixed onto the front L&R channels)so try with a DVD and if that don't work either then your hifi/AV amp is the problem.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.