GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"link smbm or the stupid cartoon version"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/05/02 at 22:03
Regular
I think Link looks like a hero in Mario Brothers Melee, not a stupid pixy that he appears in in his latest version on the cube. The polls are in favour of the mario brothers melee version. When will Nintendo listen no more soft cuddlely games. O.K they might want link to appeal to all gamers, but look at what the guy has has achive the number of times he has kicked BUTT. Should he really look like a Disney reject?

link is a hero unlike any dodge ff charter this guy has history, depth and a long story line, can you tell me anything in common between any of the FF? The Answer is only the fight style, which sucks. Link doesn't wait for a recharge bar. Your in there with combos, sword and all kicking and whooping butt.
Sun 19/05/02 at 10:33
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
POP again
Sun 19/05/02 at 10:31
"+ suspicious minds"
pop
Sat 18/05/02 at 22:33
Im still undecided about the whole thing.

Of course i was one of the many who thought "wot the fudge-monkeys goin on here then?" when i 1st saw the pics.

But i i think ill wait and see wot it looks like at E3 b4 i start comparing the poor boy to vegtables.
Sat 18/05/02 at 20:50
can we keep all the zelda slaging under one title i know people may think this stinks. Although smash brother looks good and i can't wait wait to play as link, but i think i won't be buying Zelda for the cube. he looks pants, onion head, disney reject (sorry to nick onion but is a good discription) south park has nothing to do with it. i am sure if it was ont he PS2 it would loo beter although dark cloud does have a few things the same. that have the first screen shot version.
Wed 15/05/02 at 14:12
Regular
">:)"
I dont mind the new look zelda. Although he may look retarded, and onion headed, the game should still be fun. I think nintendo have gone gack to links roots, in the cartoony style. At least the game is 3d tho, I dont think I could bear to go back to the isometric style of games past.

I think the game will be good, no matter how it looks. Sure, ocarina of time and majora's mask were beautiful games, but the main element in those games was not the graphics, but the great game play. The cel-shaded zelda will still have all those elements, but just packaged slightly differently. And after all, who HASN'T wanted to star in their own cartoon!?

I am sure there will be a nice realistic zelda eventually, nintendo wouldnt be silly enough to ignore that. I think they just wanted to try something new. ANd you dont HAVE to buy the game, if you really object that much. Go and play X-box if you want realism, I like nintendo games, and no matter how it looks I am sure it will be a great game.
Tue 14/05/02 at 23:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I really think Nintendo has got it wrong with this one, cel-shading looked great in JSR and JSRF becuase it fits in with its graphical style, its about graffiti and painting tags. Not fighting through dungeons and killing skeleton warriors.
Tue 14/05/02 at 22:53
Regular
"Remember me?"
Boss Pac-Man wrote:
> here's what i said in'a simple equation:
>
> cell shading = "bloody brilliant! "
>
> Onion headed main charicters = " retarded disney cartoonists
> "
>
> besides there is such a thing as "too much innovation"
>
> again, simple equation:
>
> nintendo difference + japanese tastes + bad cell shading + samey
> storey lines + confusing feeling they have to be twenty three times
> more innovative than any other company = too much innovation

I never was any good at Maths...
Tue 14/05/02 at 22:50
"+ suspicious minds"
here's what i said in'a simple equation:

cell shading = "bloody brilliant! "

Onion headed main charicters = " retarded disney cartoonists "

besides there is such a thing as "too much innovation"

again, simple equation:

nintendo difference + japanese tastes + bad cell shading + samey storey lines + confusing feeling they have to be twenty three times more innovative than any other company = too much innovation
Tue 14/05/02 at 22:41
Regular
"Remember me?"
tigamilla wrote:
> hey guys its only because of the power of the Gamecubr that we're able
> to see graphics evolving from boring old polygons to cel shaded
> wonders, dont accuse Nintendo of not utilising the Cubes power by
> doing the Cel shaded zelda..
>
> In fact they desrve praise for daring to be diffrent, think if no-one
> ever dared to be diffrent we would still be playing 2D non-wonders
> like the ancient and graphically sad games one got on those old
> spectrum ZX81s and those old tape loaded Amstrad CPCs.
>
> but thanks to coders daring to be diffrent we have the bump mapped
> wonders that we see these days and now matbe Nintendo feel its time to
> move onto cel shading as the next big thing in graphics....

Good point, but I think that Link and the whole Zelda thing is better suited to a serious and realistic looking atmosphere. Cel shading is great, IF it's used in the appropriate situations. SEGA showed us this with Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast and Jet Set Radio Future on the X-Box. The graphical technique worked great on those games, but I think that the stlye that Nintendo adopted for the Zelda games on the N64 was far closer to how Zelda should look than the whole Cel Shading thing.
Tue 14/05/02 at 22:36
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
hey guys its only because of the power of the Gamecubr that we're able to see graphics evolving from boring old polygons to cel shaded wonders, dont accuse Nintendo of not utilising the Cubes power by doing the Cel shaded zelda..

In fact they desrve praise for daring to be diffrent, think if no-one ever dared to be diffrent we would still be playing 2D non-wonders like the ancient and graphically sad games one got on those old spectrum ZX81s and those old tape loaded Amstrad CPCs.

but thanks to coders daring to be diffrent we have the bump mapped wonders that we see these days and now matbe Nintendo feel its time to move onto cel shading as the next big thing in graphics....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.