GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NO S VIDEO> WHAT??? Thats ridiculous!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/05/02 at 11:38
Regular
Hi all,

I posted a thread not too long ago called "s video blues" page back if you wanna read what I am guffing on about.... *mad mad mad!*

This is NUTS! How can you not include an S video out on a nex gen console?

A: I don't have a TV I use a wacking great big monitor and next thing on ye olde shopping list is a TFT or plasma (checks cash stash under mattress)

B: Thus I use a ATI All in Wonder radeon, god's gift to multi use PC's for inputs outputs, DVD etcetera. The inputs offer RF, Composite and S Video, very standardised and nothing bizarre...so why should I have to deal with fuzzy greens and bleeding reds? And scart? that stuff is ancient. RGB? Well I don't know too much about it, but I can't connect to it...if anyone could help with something there?

Some one please help if you know any different. The vga box from Liksang does not support the pal gamecube and I can't keep looking at a substandard image it's driving me mad. :( *boo hoo*

Thanks guys.
I love my cube, really I do.
Sun 19/05/02 at 00:11
Regular
The Gamecube does support S-Video out. Just buy an S-Video lead for an N64, plug it into your Gamecube and gfx card, and all will work fine. I should know, I have got my Gamecube wired to my 36" plasma via S-Video, and it works a treat.
Sat 18/05/02 at 00:09
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
dhalse wrote:
> I use the ATI All-In-Wonder myself to connect my N64 and PS2 to my
> computer monitor, both with S-Video as the picture is so poor with RF
> and composite.
>
> I have the S-Video cable Special Reserve sell that is supposed to work
> with the N64 and GameCube. I have used it successfully with the N64
> but I am still waiting for my GameCube to arrive so I have not had a
> chance to test that yet. There is no official S-Video cable yet but
> there are a number of third party ones and these are normally gold
> plated which give a slightly better performance. They may release an
> official one later but the official cables for most consoles are not
> normally gold plated so you can get better performance from third
> party cables. The outputs on the N64 and GameCube are the same and the
> cables are interchangeable between the consoles.
>
> RGB Scart is better than S-Video and allows the 60Hz mode which plays
> much smoother but the ATI card has no way of connecting it. Also the
> ATI card does not display a picture playing PS1 games on my PS2 which
> is causing me problems. If you want the best video output you need a
> TV as there is a noticable drop in quality using the ATI card, which I
> have found very noticable after moving my PS2 to a proper TV with RGB
> Scart.

Hey due thanks for this post -probably the closest I have had to an answer yet (altho thanks to all who have tried to help) Lets keep in touch on the forum - so's as to find out what the best connections are. Here is a tip. With the latest drivers (ver. 7.6) of the tv and multimedia center for the ATI All in Wonder you get a Pal - 60 mode, This will allow you to use the 60 hz mode in the GC games that use it. If you cant find this mode on the video tab of the tv tuner - upgrade your media center at ati.com.

Let me know how you get on - we could learn from each other.
Cheers
Delorentis
Fri 17/05/02 at 15:08
Regular
You dont need an RGB cable to play in 60hz

My Cube plays fine in 60hz with the normal composite lead that comes with it.
Fri 17/05/02 at 15:00
I use the ATI All-In-Wonder myself to connect my N64 and PS2 to my computer monitor, both with S-Video as the picture is so poor with RF and composite.

I have the S-Video cable Special Reserve sell that is supposed to work with the N64 and GameCube. I have used it successfully with the N64 but I am still waiting for my GameCube to arrive so I have not had a chance to test that yet. There is no official S-Video cable yet but there are a number of third party ones and these are normally gold plated which give a slightly better performance. They may release an official one later but the official cables for most consoles are not normally gold plated so you can get better performance from third party cables. The outputs on the N64 and GameCube are the same and the cables are interchangeable between the consoles.

RGB Scart is better than S-Video and allows the 60Hz mode which plays much smoother but the ATI card has no way of connecting it. Also the ATI card does not display a picture playing PS1 games on my PS2 which is causing me problems. If you want the best video output you need a TV as there is a noticable drop in quality using the ATI card, which I have found very noticable after moving my PS2 to a proper TV with RGB Scart.
Fri 17/05/02 at 13:28
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
er-no wrote:
> It doesn't have one because it doesn't need one.
>
> deerrrrr....

Sweeping statement with no explanation. Care to divulge the information that lead you to this announcement?

-Composite
-Svideo
-RGB

Why shouldn't it have all 3? They are after all 3 different connections physically, so why not offer all options? If the yanks get it - why can't we? Is it a technical limitation - or a shortcut based on the premise that penetration of s video in the european market may be lower than that of RGB? I don't understand a conscious decision to short spec a system with no reason (yet - still open to an answer on that one). Just intrigued thats all.
Fri 17/05/02 at 09:34
Regular
"everyone says it"
It doesn't have one because it doesn't need one.

deerrrrr....
Fri 17/05/02 at 08:55
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
FatButcher wrote:
> RGB has a slight edge over S-Video in terms of quailty.
>
> You can buy a S-Video lead for a Game Cube here
>
>
> http://www.interesting-devices.com
> /Products/nintendo/gamecube/index.htm
>
> (Remove space)

Thankd Fat Butcher - so it works then? They included S Video out with the Pal GC? So many say yes - so many say no...*sigh*

What is the answer?
Thu 16/05/02 at 14:08
Regular
"Tag as above"
RGB has a slight edge over S-Video in terms of quailty.

You can buy a S-Video lead for a Game Cube here

http://www.interesting-devices.com /Products/nintendo/gamecube/index.htm

(Remove space)
Wed 15/05/02 at 18:23
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
s-video works on the american cube (works on mine fine) , just try it , they only cost 8 quid , then if it dosent work , just use it with your n64 or something , as my n64 works fine with it , so , technically so should the gamecube. they plug into the same av out socket on your gamecube so i dont think there should be a problem.
Wed 15/05/02 at 10:27
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Thanks for the help on the RGB issue guys. I found the feature PAL - 60 in the settings for the tv player on my PC so I think the image will sharpen up a bit, on games that support it. However....

IT STILL DOESN'T HELP ME with other Games!!!! AAARRGGH RANT! RAGE! etc.

Why no s-video? And since it is the case, what did they think they could fob us off with? RGB? or PAL 60? Are these equal to or better than S Video?

Last post on this subject promise. Then I'll accept my fate and buy a flippin telly.

Don't know where I'll put it tho. Umm. XG3 Rulez. I bust the sound barrier last night and nearly wet myself. My god is it fast. Short, but freakin fast, and speed always comes first...vrrm.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.