GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dyer likely to miss World Cup, Gerrard doubtful"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/05/02 at 15:01
Regular
Kieron Dyer is almost certain to miss the World Cup finals while Steven Gerrard is doubtful, Sven-Goran Eriksson says.

Dyer was stretchered off during the game against Southampton and has damaged his knee ligaments. Doctors say he will be out for four weeks.

Steven Gerrard may need an operation on his groin injury. Eriksson says the injury is "much worse than he thought". Danny Murphy has been called up.

Sven-Goran Eriksson claims the Newcastle midfielder is "almost for sure" ruled out. He has put Trevor Sinclair on standby.

Steven Gerrard may need an operation on his groin injury after limping off during the match against Ipswich. Eriksson remains hopeful he could then link up with the England party, who leave for Dubai tomorrow to begin their World Cup preparations.

Eriksson confirmed: "(Dyer) is not good at all, he is almost for sure out. The doctor said it will take at least four weeks before he can practise, so we have called in Danny Murphy to come with us.

"If there is a miracle I might think about (taking Dyer). Almost for sure he will not."

He added: "I feel very sorry for Dyer - he has been extremely unlucky. What happened was not a muscle problem but a bad tackle and that happens in football.

"He is absolutely destroyed. It's a knee ligament problem, and even if everything goes 100% well it can take at least four weeks to recover."

Eriksson added: "Steven Gerrard is not coming with us tomorrow. So that means that Beckham has some problems, Butt some problems, Dyer almost for sure out, and Gerrard some problems.

"We will have to wait on Steven, but I spoke to doctors today and they were not optimistic at all. This Sunday has not started well at all.

"With Steven Gerrard I thought it was nothing but they phoned me from Liverpool and told me it was much worse than I thought."

discuss thanks
Mon 13/05/02 at 19:15
Regular
Just to back up Wookie's statement Parlour has played for England over 17 times and he is on form. But then again there is that Fannieman McManaman that has a chance as he is on form.
Mon 13/05/02 at 09:35
"High polygon count"
Gabbo wrote:
> What about Darius? With another goal yesterday, he should definately
> be given his chance in Japan.

Maybe. I'm a bit dubious as to scoring one "wonder-goal" should really qualify you for national team selection.

> Vassell and Owen would cause defenders all sorts of problems.

Well, we'll have to hope so, won't we. It's a bit late now if things don't work out. I foresee Vassell sitting on the bench, though.
Mon 13/05/02 at 09:32
"High polygon count"
AbsoluT Neó wrote:
> The only problem about Parlour is that he hasn't had any opportunities
> for England

Only because Sven hasn't picked him. He has certainly played for England before.

And surely you have to pick your in-form players?

Anyway, on the brighter side, I almost glad. The rejection seemed to spur Parlour into masterful performances in our last few games; and at least he'll be fresh for us next season.
Mon 13/05/02 at 00:41
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I don't think Andy's quite able to make it onto the International Scene, if we were looking at a striker right now I'd no doubt take Jansen.

I think he has the ability to go on and be great for England, Great skills & Goal Scoring.

You can see the potential is there.
Sun 12/05/02 at 22:43
Regular
He retired from international football minutes after Sven named the team so i guess its irrelavent now anyway.
Sun 12/05/02 at 22:30
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
But Ortega, don't you think that the fact he is playing at a low-profile club gives him confidence? I mean, he isn't n the spotlight anymore, and nobody exactly expets him to be the best anymore...it's a big weight off his shoulders. And you've seen his performances for England, they ranged from dismal, to abysmal, and right back to the back of the queue (did I spell that right?).
Sun 12/05/02 at 22:20
Regular
If your looking for a striker in goal scoring form you only have to look at Andy Cole...

Look at the statistics, he has scored 13 goals in 20 games since he signed and when he came to Blackburn he may have needed six games to get match-fit, and Blackburn are not Manchester United who absolutely batter teams to death.

Then you look to Andy Cole's last 5 games for Blackburn. Scoring in every single one of them with 2 goals yesterday.
Sun 12/05/02 at 22:00
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
These injuries have laid claim to the fact that, or of: Why doesn't Erikkson choose his England squad AFTER the season has finished? I wouldn't mind, but he only had to wait 2 days, and it was an extra chance to see his players in action. And in the midfield, if Gerrard is out, I think it should be J. Cole, Scholes, R. Parlour (should he be chosen), and Beckam. I think that would be a pretty good midfield, without disrupting the style of lay which Erikkson wanted to use too much
Sun 12/05/02 at 21:36
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
I've been watching Lee Hendrie all season now and can tell you all that he is not good enough to play for England. He can pass the ball around well but a) doesn't attempt to go in for tackles and b) hardly ever heads the ball. I know I should want him to go but I'm being honest with myself and he is just not good enough.

WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> only one decent striker (Sheringham's past his sell-by
> date, Heskey spends too much time on the deck, and Fowler is
> useless).

What about Darius? With another goal yesterday, he should definately be given his chance in Japan. Vassell and Owen would cause defenders all sorts of problems.
Sun 12/05/02 at 21:14
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
He could always put Hargreaves on the left or apologise to Mcmanaman for messing him about and bring him in to the squad.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.