GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mr. Dependable hangs up his boots. A tribute to Denis Irwin"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/05/02 at 17:36
Regular
As its his last game for Manchester Utd and his career today, I am going to write a tribute to the retiring Denis Irwin.

Trained as a schoolboy youth at Leed United, the Irishman failed to impress the Leeds first team for more than three years in the early eighties, and was Billy Bremner, then Leeds manager released him on a free transfer to Chesterfield. He shone in this Division 2 outfit and a newly Premiership promoted Oldham picked the young Irwin up and played him as a first team regular. Here, he became gelled into a consistent player through regualr first team games and the basis of the player he was to become. In 1990, Irwin now Oldham's regular left back, was spotted by Alex Ferguson, manager of Manchester Utd, and he was soon to be bought for a paltry £625, 000. Straight away Irwin became a comfortable left back for Manchester Utd.

To date, Irwin has played in both of Utd' European triumphs in the nineties, The European Cup Winners Cup in 1991, and European Champions League in 1999.

One of the cleanest defenders of his time, with only 1 red card, and 21 cards in his whole career of 805 games, he has recently retired from International football for the Republic of Ireland.

Mr. Dependable, over the years has had many team mates play with him including Paul Ince, Eric Cantona, Ryan Giggs, Steve Bruce, Roy Keane, David Beckham and Peter Schmeichel.

Today he plays his last game against Charlton as well as Rai Van der Gouw, but it won't be swansong from the former Irish skipper.

1dy...........
Sat 11/05/02 at 17:36
As its his last game for Manchester Utd and his career today, I am going to write a tribute to the retiring Denis Irwin.

Trained as a schoolboy youth at Leed United, the Irishman failed to impress the Leeds first team for more than three years in the early eighties, and was Billy Bremner, then Leeds manager released him on a free transfer to Chesterfield. He shone in this Division 2 outfit and a newly Premiership promoted Oldham picked the young Irwin up and played him as a first team regular. Here, he became gelled into a consistent player through regualr first team games and the basis of the player he was to become. In 1990, Irwin now Oldham's regular left back, was spotted by Alex Ferguson, manager of Manchester Utd, and he was soon to be bought for a paltry £625, 000. Straight away Irwin became a comfortable left back for Manchester Utd.

To date, Irwin has played in both of Utd' European triumphs in the nineties, The European Cup Winners Cup in 1991, and European Champions League in 1999.

One of the cleanest defenders of his time, with only 1 red card, and 21 cards in his whole career of 805 games, he has recently retired from International football for the Republic of Ireland.

Mr. Dependable, over the years has had many team mates play with him including Paul Ince, Eric Cantona, Ryan Giggs, Steve Bruce, Roy Keane, David Beckham and Peter Schmeichel.

Today he plays his last game against Charlton as well as Rai Van der Gouw, but it won't be swansong from the former Irish skipper.

1dy...........
Sat 11/05/02 at 17:48
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Hangs up his boots?

No I think he's just moving on, he still has a coupe of seasons left in him. He would be an asset to any club. I thoroughly expect him to be snapped up by one of the teams getting promotion this year.

Anyway, Sir Alex said he was probably his best signing (I don't agree - Eric Cantona was) but Irwin was a snip at what Alex paid for him and he has not let us down.

Thank You Denis, You are a credit to Manchester United, Ireland and Football in general.
Sat 11/05/02 at 19:47
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
He is not retiring and has left Man Utd as he has not been offered a new contract because he and the club felt it was time to move on.

Lee Dixon has now officialy retired and played his last game for Arsenal ( unless he plays in the testimonial on Monday) and it looks likely that Tony Adams will also call it a day as the old guard gradually dismantles.

Stuart Pearce has also retired and Gary Mcallister has left Liverpool to become manager of Coventry City.
Sat 11/05/02 at 22:18
Mr. Dependable, perhaps, I thought that Brian Mclair had that nick name? Mr. Retired, certainly not, he definately has a few more season in him for top flight football!
Sun 12/05/02 at 11:15
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Brian McClair's nickname was actually 'Choccy'! God knows why!??

And i'd like to thank Denis Irwin for all the hard work and good service he's given United during that last 10 years or so.
It'll be sad to see him go, and there'll be a big hole left behind i'm sure.

The youngesters like O'Shea will miss his experience and his free kicks, but he'll be missed by thw whole of MUFC as a good, loyal, trustworthy friend.

And what a bargain at only £650,000 from Oldham of all places!
I think Fergie was right to call him the best signing he's ever made.

Goodbye Denis and thank you. :)
Sun 12/05/02 at 12:53
Regular
"simpsons rule"
he was a great player and the best signing alex has made

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.