GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"switching to Flash Video?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/02/08 at 13:01
Regular
"you've got a beard"
hi all,
i`m considering changing the delivery format of my work on my website:
www.secondarymotion.co.uk

at present it`s set up to use windows media player objects, but in the interests of cross platform compatability, i`m thinking about changing to flash video.

Does anyone know the logistics of doing this? what software i`ll need, etc?
i can`t re-export the work from premiere as the original files are long since obselete and to be honest, if it means re-editing everything, i`ll just leave it alone.

could i bring the original video into Flash and export it as an FLV from there?

Also, what about the movie controls? i`m not too bad with flash/actionscript (not too good either though ;) - is this all it`ll take to code the buttons?
I believe Dreamweaver has quite a user-friendly way of creating flash video player objects (if anyone can confirm this i`ll check next time i`m in the uni, but i don`t have access to Dreamweaver at home)

so yes, looking for any advice or pointers on this one.
thanks all! :)
Sun 17/02/08 at 14:57
Regular
"you've got a beard"
nice! i`ll go with that as well then (once it`s been checked by a mac user)
Sun 17/02/08 at 14:40
"Are you sure?"
Fair enough - if it works then it can't be wrong! That's the reasoning I use most of the time.

Search Freeola Chat
Sun 17/02/08 at 12:32
Regular
"you've got a beard"
it`s an swf flash player object that calls the flv to play.

i poked around the source code for a youtube page and it seemed to be the same deal, they have a player.swf object that calls the movie clip assigned to that page.

have i done it wrong?
Sun 17/02/08 at 09:24
"Are you sure?"
Morning,
All seems to work(PC), I thought you were going to try using FLV that looks like SWF to me?

Search Freeola Chat
Sat 16/02/08 at 19:19
Regular
"you've got a beard"
having harrassed a web developer mate for the last few hours, i`ve relieved him of his copy of Flash for a little while :D

Click here for a test page

we SHOULD get the video playing nicely with player controls when you mouseover, all being well.

i`ve got this working on my pc, but i`m not totally sure what i`m up to yet so it may be calling some local files, so if anyone gets any weirdness, sing out please!
If anyone reading this has a Mac could you give it a click for me and check it works also please?

thanks!
Sat 16/02/08 at 17:45
"Are you sure?"
Hi Very_Metal,
I don't have the latest version of Flash either (or use the MX version I have), so I convert my video to FLV using third party apps.

Then use the links I mentioned to make them available - it all seems to work quite well for me.

Search Freeola Chat
Sat 16/02/08 at 16:24
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Garin - i considered just doing that, but if you read the small print in the terms and conditions of Youtube, et al, it gives them ownership of the material, which i`m not really happy with. so building a custom player is my only option (i don`t mind posting 5 minute mucking around animations on those places, but not for the short films or any future showreels i upload which will contain material owned by Rebellion, so there`s too much involved to risk it)
however - "why bother" is now looking very attractive :D

Hmmm - thank you sir! i`ll look into them and keep considering my options. I don`t have flash myself, but do have access at work, so will take a look.
Thu 14/02/08 at 18:30
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
My only thought is why bother? I'd just upload them to my favour video sharing website (youtube etc.) and embed them. Potential extra exposure of my work would negate the downside of having a logo of a video sharing website on the video player.
Thu 14/02/08 at 17:51
"Are you sure?"
I was hoping others may have had some useful tips here - but perhaps not.

So here's my input:

Yes the latest versions of Flash can export to FLV (not that I've got it!).

These two resources have proved to be very useful to me:

JW FLV Media Player

and this is worth reading/using:
FLV embed script

Let us know how you get on.
Search Freeola Chat
Wed 13/02/08 at 13:01
Regular
"you've got a beard"
hi all,
i`m considering changing the delivery format of my work on my website:
www.secondarymotion.co.uk

at present it`s set up to use windows media player objects, but in the interests of cross platform compatability, i`m thinking about changing to flash video.

Does anyone know the logistics of doing this? what software i`ll need, etc?
i can`t re-export the work from premiere as the original files are long since obselete and to be honest, if it means re-editing everything, i`ll just leave it alone.

could i bring the original video into Flash and export it as an FLV from there?

Also, what about the movie controls? i`m not too bad with flash/actionscript (not too good either though ;) - is this all it`ll take to code the buttons?
I believe Dreamweaver has quite a user-friendly way of creating flash video player objects (if anyone can confirm this i`ll check next time i`m in the uni, but i don`t have access to Dreamweaver at home)

so yes, looking for any advice or pointers on this one.
thanks all! :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.