GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spam"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 10/05/02 at 17:13
Regular
I really hate spam, whether it's on this forum, useless information through my mailbox (that gets my hopes up because I might have friends who want to send me letters) or whether it's simply the stuff you get through emails. Since I've joined Hotmail however the spam is getting out of control.

The spam is spready through my mailbox like wildfire. I get around ten spam-mails a day. I block them all hoping it will stop them for good, but they keep coming back, and more keep coming back. So many keep coming into my mailbox that I just can't fight back.

Today, I get home and see 7 new emails in my account. No, I'm not popular with my friends, I'm popular with some companies that think spam is brilliant, because it is so cheap and they can make money out of it.

Who honestly has ever taken any notice of spam? I certainly haven't. I think it's the lowest you can get in advertising. If a company has to resort to email spam, I get the impression they are not a very good company as they just don't have the capital to pay for EFFECTIVE advertising.

Today for instance, "Jonny, Find Out What Debt Management Can Do For You!" is one of those spam mails in my inbox. Firstly, I don't wish to be called Jonny by someone I don't know. I don't like them, so why should they be friendly to me. Secondly, I don't have debt problems, I'm not old enough so shut up.... Oh good! According to another email "DON'T BOTHER SHAVING THIS SUMMER. Say goodbye to unwanted body hair FOREVER!" Well shaving doesn't exactly bother me. It doesn't exactly take much time out of your life, and as for the body hair it points to, this sounds more like a girl thing. They even address me Jonny... surely one would be able to work out what sex I am? Another email asks me "Are You Safe From Being Sued?" Well... probably yes since I don't live in the sueing capital of the world the USA. One email even personally thanks me for subscribing through a site I've never heard of - the cheek.... Oh and apparently to sign up for the Full Access Medical, LLC Plan the applicant must be at least 18 and pay a one-time enrollment fee of $20 regardless of the number of dependents enrolled. This non-insurance healthcare plan is not available in Washington. Ok.....

Spam's only good use is for firewood, recycling or the mailbox bin. Innocent much needed trees are destroyed to create spam that comes through the letterbox... it just seems a waste.

And what I don't get is where it comes from. Whenever I sign up for things I always tick please don't give my details to other people and some sites, where you don't get a choice, I'd like to know that they would give me the choice if I have one.(although it probably says it in the license agreement but who exactly reads those these days).

Spam just is an unnecessary evasion on my life. I really don't need it. It causes me much stress having to delete them one by one, and I just cannot stop them. And the worrying thing is that these advertising companys know my name, and my email address. What's stopping them from knowing my home address and all my other personal details?

I know some of these spam mails give you the option to stop receiving emails from them. But usually the links don't work, the unsubscribing doesn't work or you just can't be bothered to follow them. Why take up several minutes stopping something you didn't ask for in the first place?

I just hate spam. Do you think this form of advertising should be illegal -at least through doors anyway? Maybe making it illegal is drastic, but it would be the only way to stop it. I know it's cheap, and ideal for small businesses, but when they've got your information from other bigger companies it just seems that it is invading your privacy. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I told your address to a thousand people....
Fri 10/05/02 at 19:09
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Spam really gets to me, too. I really want SR to re-think my ideas which I posted in your topic in teh SR site bugs forum a while ago, but they think it'd be too much hassle.
Fri 10/05/02 at 19:06
Regular
"That's right!"
Rakuga wrote:
the nicely sized one I have

----------

Lies make baby Jesus cry
Fri 10/05/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I used to get "enlarge your penis" continuously
:/
I got so irritated I replied saying "I am fine with the nicely sized one I have at the moment".
I've stopped getting them now for some reason. I wonder if it was all that blocking on that angry reply.
Fri 10/05/02 at 18:34
Regular
"That's right!"
Yes, whenever I go online I have 10 emails awaiting almost every day. 3 or so are viruses, the rest is spam

It makes me sick

My block list must be HUGE by now
Fri 10/05/02 at 18:34
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
The_Flying_Hawkstar wrote:
> I always get them pointless emails about sending 50p to six people and
> then i can make £10000 and you can tell it's just a scam it
> really annoys me.

Oh don't get me moaning about chainletters.. they are just as bad. What is girls obsessions with those things? I get them from girls all the time, never boys. I just don't get that.. there is never anything interesting in them.
Fri 10/05/02 at 18:22
Regular
I always get them pointless emails about sending 50p to six people and then i can make £10000 and you can tell it's just a scam it really annoys me.
Fri 10/05/02 at 18:07
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I get some crap about getting a free diploma in days. It is always the same people they send these messages to, anyone who has an email address starting with 'how_' . Pee's me off.
Fri 10/05/02 at 17:34
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
AZURE wrote:
> i keep gettin these crushmaster things?

Crushmaster? Mine are more financial it appears :/
Fri 10/05/02 at 17:32
Regular
"round the outside"
i keep gettin these crushmaster things?
Fri 10/05/02 at 17:20
"Mimmargh!"
It's because Hotmail puts your email adress on the internet White Pages for all to see...
I have some really sick, tasteless crap in my email box like...well you get the idea...
Also many companies are offering me wieght loss...WTF!? I am not remotely fat.. they just assume I am some internet jockey who just sits and snacks...

;0)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.