GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game Characters"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 10/05/02 at 14:37
Regular
So, after we’ve finished annihilating the end enemies on our games, has anyone taken the time to appreciate the social impact of the people we are controlling? . Or better still, the influence they have over kids of the younger generation?
In short, this post goes a little way to explaining why people are so engrossed in games, and others…well, they take it a bit TOO far, and other peoples lives are put at risk as a consequence.
The point of it is, why are the hero’s and heroin’s always described as being cool, and as hard as nails? ..I bet you’ll never find your “average Joe” as the main character, attempting to foil evil-scheme and whatnot. To give you a basic idea, I’ve compiled a list of all those who you would associate as being the Epitome of greatness.

Solid Snake – Metal Gear Solid.

This guy is described as the Daddy of them all, and is usually the first person that comes to mind when you think of great game characters. And why not? After all, he looks the part. Big muscles, great in handling weaponry, and kicks butt better than any one.
It is usually when he comes up against a big robot, somebody like Metal Gear Rex, that you know he means business. Thing is, was it really necessary to build him up to be so good? The answer is, yes. Otherwise, I doubt the game would have sold as well as it did. Can you imagine playing a lead character, somebody like that scientist who wee’s himself, he fumbles around the place, and looks about as hard as wet tissue paper. But, put a gun at his disposal, and a few good punch-and-kick techniques, and he’s halfway to saving the world himself. But long, uninspiring scientist coat? Draped over a skinny guy, who’s only chance to salvage pride is the fact that his hair is long, and he MIGHT be able to get a hair which looks like Snakes, but I doubt the bandana would suit him.
#Metal Gear WITHOUT Solid Snake- 7/10 # Metal Gear WITH Solid Snake- 9/10#

Dante - Devil May Cry

Ok, because this game hasn’t got the worldwide appeal as Metal Gear, it may not have as much of an impact as Snake did but the principal stays the same. Dante is a gun-toting madman, aimed at showing youngsters how cool you can look with a pair of semi-automatics in your hands. This guy works as a “rent-a-hero”, not a baker in the local bread shop, not one of those who get up insanely early to deliver milk at ungodly hours. But wait, he can do the job he’s been assigned, because he has the persona to do it, and the only reason he has that persona, is for the people who buy the game, to convince themselves that it’s a “great game”. Would the same reaction have been acquired if the lead-character was…hmmm, Harry Potter? No, because the idea of Harry Potter slaying Devil dogs and Satan slaves doesn’t appeal to very many. Dante also has “that” look; the platinum hair, the evil glare in his eyes, the flashy purple overcoat, it’s all designed to appeal to the gamers eyes, covering over what isn’t as good a game as would be made out. Remember, the game stays in your mind, because he is in it, not the “great gameplay”, “original story”, or any other part of what makes a game good.
#Devil May Cry WITHOUT Dane- 6/10 # Devil May Cry WITH Dante- 8/10

Lara Croft- Tomb Raider Series

She is described as the Queen of the Computer industry, and blamed (if that’s the right word for it) for making the Playstation the success it is today. As ever though, her character is a victim of what is called “Human Needs”. This basically involves the character creators not bothering so much on gameplay, but instead, bothering with how good she looks. A perfect example of this, is how her *ahem* chest, has grown over the Tomb Raider Series’, and you can’t say that she got bored of waiting between the weeks in which a new TR game would e brought out. This decision was finalized on one perception: Human Needs.
I bet the game wouldn’t have sold half as many with an unflattering character such as American McGee’s Alice, would it?
#Tomb Raider WITHOUT Lara Croft- 5/10 # Tomb Raider WITH Lara Croft- 7/10

This is why the world in general has a scary obsession with male and female games characters (ok, female characters are liked more). It needs to be brought to attention, or better yet, the games creators could think of bold, new character ideas, and hopefully implement them in to a game, which could be as successful as the games characters I mentioned above.

Thanks for taking the time to read it (if you did). And if anyone else has comments on this issue, then please let me and others who are intrigued know about it.
Fri 10/05/02 at 14:37
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
So, after we’ve finished annihilating the end enemies on our games, has anyone taken the time to appreciate the social impact of the people we are controlling? . Or better still, the influence they have over kids of the younger generation?
In short, this post goes a little way to explaining why people are so engrossed in games, and others…well, they take it a bit TOO far, and other peoples lives are put at risk as a consequence.
The point of it is, why are the hero’s and heroin’s always described as being cool, and as hard as nails? ..I bet you’ll never find your “average Joe” as the main character, attempting to foil evil-scheme and whatnot. To give you a basic idea, I’ve compiled a list of all those who you would associate as being the Epitome of greatness.

Solid Snake – Metal Gear Solid.

This guy is described as the Daddy of them all, and is usually the first person that comes to mind when you think of great game characters. And why not? After all, he looks the part. Big muscles, great in handling weaponry, and kicks butt better than any one.
It is usually when he comes up against a big robot, somebody like Metal Gear Rex, that you know he means business. Thing is, was it really necessary to build him up to be so good? The answer is, yes. Otherwise, I doubt the game would have sold as well as it did. Can you imagine playing a lead character, somebody like that scientist who wee’s himself, he fumbles around the place, and looks about as hard as wet tissue paper. But, put a gun at his disposal, and a few good punch-and-kick techniques, and he’s halfway to saving the world himself. But long, uninspiring scientist coat? Draped over a skinny guy, who’s only chance to salvage pride is the fact that his hair is long, and he MIGHT be able to get a hair which looks like Snakes, but I doubt the bandana would suit him.
#Metal Gear WITHOUT Solid Snake- 7/10 # Metal Gear WITH Solid Snake- 9/10#

Dante - Devil May Cry

Ok, because this game hasn’t got the worldwide appeal as Metal Gear, it may not have as much of an impact as Snake did but the principal stays the same. Dante is a gun-toting madman, aimed at showing youngsters how cool you can look with a pair of semi-automatics in your hands. This guy works as a “rent-a-hero”, not a baker in the local bread shop, not one of those who get up insanely early to deliver milk at ungodly hours. But wait, he can do the job he’s been assigned, because he has the persona to do it, and the only reason he has that persona, is for the people who buy the game, to convince themselves that it’s a “great game”. Would the same reaction have been acquired if the lead-character was…hmmm, Harry Potter? No, because the idea of Harry Potter slaying Devil dogs and Satan slaves doesn’t appeal to very many. Dante also has “that” look; the platinum hair, the evil glare in his eyes, the flashy purple overcoat, it’s all designed to appeal to the gamers eyes, covering over what isn’t as good a game as would be made out. Remember, the game stays in your mind, because he is in it, not the “great gameplay”, “original story”, or any other part of what makes a game good.
#Devil May Cry WITHOUT Dane- 6/10 # Devil May Cry WITH Dante- 8/10

Lara Croft- Tomb Raider Series

She is described as the Queen of the Computer industry, and blamed (if that’s the right word for it) for making the Playstation the success it is today. As ever though, her character is a victim of what is called “Human Needs”. This basically involves the character creators not bothering so much on gameplay, but instead, bothering with how good she looks. A perfect example of this, is how her *ahem* chest, has grown over the Tomb Raider Series’, and you can’t say that she got bored of waiting between the weeks in which a new TR game would e brought out. This decision was finalized on one perception: Human Needs.
I bet the game wouldn’t have sold half as many with an unflattering character such as American McGee’s Alice, would it?
#Tomb Raider WITHOUT Lara Croft- 5/10 # Tomb Raider WITH Lara Croft- 7/10

This is why the world in general has a scary obsession with male and female games characters (ok, female characters are liked more). It needs to be brought to attention, or better yet, the games creators could think of bold, new character ideas, and hopefully implement them in to a game, which could be as successful as the games characters I mentioned above.

Thanks for taking the time to read it (if you did). And if anyone else has comments on this issue, then please let me and others who are intrigued know about it.
Sat 11/05/02 at 00:41
Regular
good post FOP.

i think it would be interesting to see a game where the character wasn't hard but then again if the character fumbled around it would be harder to control him, imagine playing MGS2 as otacon LOL.
Sat 11/05/02 at 00:44
Regular
"Tag as above"
Would that be like Rainman?
Sat 11/05/02 at 00:47
Regular
yeh raiden was ok i thought but alot of peopel didnt like him
Sat 11/05/02 at 00:55
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
I've always wondered about seeing Toadstool (Mario games) in a Resident Evil-esque game. Got to admit, it would spice it up a bit, and make it more interesting.
Sat 11/05/02 at 02:36
Regular
"That's right!"
"and blamed (if that’s the right word for it) for making the Playstation the success it is today"

Yes, that is the right word, heh

Anyway, how could you leave out... Duke Nukem! Surely he (along with Max Payne) is the best games character ever? Just look at how often we say his catchphrases in general life

"Hey, baby"

"Shake it, baby"

"Groovy"

Etc, etc. Go on, admit it, you say his lines ALL the time, don't you? Heh
Sun 12/05/02 at 03:05
Regular
"everyone says it"
Balls in your court now. :P

Nice topic though.... Where was Mario? :(
Mon 13/05/02 at 20:54
I'm not sure if i'm correct in saying this, but wasn't the guy from Silent Hill an average Joe, if i remember correctly he couldn't shoot straight, and wasn't well built or anything like that. Gordon Freeman for Half-Life too, although, both of them knew how to use weapons pretty well. Yes there was the training but still.........

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.