GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Venables - over rated ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/10/00 at 20:21
Regular
Venables has to be the most over-rated coach of his generation.

One newspaper recently asked the question 'If Venables is so good - why has no top club been after his services since 1996 ?'.
Mon 23/10/00 at 20:21
Venables has to be the most over-rated coach of his generation.

One newspaper recently asked the question 'If Venables is so good - why has no top club been after his services since 1996 ?'.
Tue 24/10/00 at 17:32
It's a good point, but the whole team love him and play how he wants them to play. Isn't that really how you get a team to perform, by having a good relationship with them and communicating properly? That was the problem with Hoddle, he didn't get along with the lads, and they underperformed.
Tue 24/10/00 at 19:02
I partially agree, but the reason the team love Venables is because he let them do as they please (remember the famous dentist chair incident with Gascoigne). Alex Ferguson manages to get is players to perform week in week out but does not feel the need to go night clubbing with Roy Keane and David Beckham in order to acheive that.

Basically - if a manager is tactically sound (which Sven Goran Erikson is) and is widely respected (which Erikson is) then there should not be a problem.

Unfortunately we do not have a talent when comes to producing English football managers - most succesful English clubs down the years were managed by Scots (Shankly, Ferguson, Graham etc).

I think many Englishmen would be happy if Arsene Wenger took over England but he is not available. However Erikson is available in the summer and he has similar creditial to Wenger.

Ideally we would all like to see an English manager, but it will ultimately take a foreign coach to produce a succesfull England side. I feel sure the FA will announce that Erikson will take charge in June - and I for one think that they will have made the right choice.
Wed 25/10/00 at 12:51
What about Page 7 stunna Peter Taylor? he did a good job with the Under-21's, didn't he?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.