GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Controller? nah"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/05/02 at 16:42
Regular
Who can say that they actually like the shape of the XBOX controller, or of any of the 3rd party offerings. I don't enjoy Halo because
a) I don't enjoy shooting aliens with lasers, because it's not satisfying and/or they don't react properly or act intelligently.
b) The control method is terrible and awkward and left me struggling to circle strafe effectively, or aim on higher planes without thinking about it.
I think that you shouldn't have to think about controlling a game with a controller, just about controlling it. If you have to think:
"I have to press X to reload", rather than "I have to reload", then this could destroy your enjoyment of the game by constantly reminding you that your playing a game.

as an afterthought, could you please post any games which are not sequels and are actually interesting or enjoyable which are available for the XBOX, not including Halo or generic driving/fighting games.
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:30
My 48 year old day plays halo and he loves it I have just finally completed halo myself and come on 5 mins when you dont learn some of the controls for the planes etc till level 7 dont talk rubbish I go even as far as to say I prefer the x-box layout to the dc's (bold statement) and I even feel more comfatable with the control system for halo more than if it was mouse and keyboard. Whereas with JB:AUF That's a rubbish control system
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:28
Regular
"bit of a brain"
there are other consoles. goldeneye on the n64 (and perfect dark) are the only FPSs with decent control methods.
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:14
Regular
"accidental superher"
i think that if you've played any other console fps then you should be used to halo as well...be it ps2 or xbox
i had no problems whatsoever...and neither did my brother who very rarely plays games...mind you he was hooked on halo!
Thu 09/05/02 at 17:09
Regular
"bit of a brain"
i understand that people might like the controller, but you yourself said that you only got used to the controls after the first level, but if the control method was really good, you should be comfortable after 5 minutes or less. also, the console should have some proper games, even after 6 weeks.
and also, did you mean to keep going, because you just sort of trail off
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:52
Regular
thegerrid wrote:
> Who can say that they actually like the shape of the XBOX controller,
> or of any of the 3rd party offerings.

I find the controller perfectly usable. Very similar to the Dreamcast pad which was the best in my opinion.

I don't enjoy Halo because
> a) I don't enjoy shooting aliens with lasers, because it's not
> satisfying and/or they don't react properly or act intelligently.

But they DO act intelligently. They dodge and weave and runaway. That's about as intelligent as it gets thus far in games.

> b) The control method is terrible and awkward and left me struggling
> to circle strafe effectively, or aim on higher planes without thinking
> about it.
> I think that you shouldn't have to think about controlling a game with
> a controller, just about controlling it. If you have to think:
> "I have to press X to reload", rather than "I have to
> reload", then this could destroy your enjoyment of the game by
> constantly reminding you that your playing a game.

If you've not got the hang of the controls by the end of the 1st level you must be crap.

> as an afterthought, could you please post any games which are not
> sequels and are actually interesting or enjoyable which are available
> for the XBOX, not including Halo or generic driving/fighting games.

Yeah many of the games are sequels at the moment (the XBOX has only been on the shelves for 6 flippin' weeks!), but they are all quality: Jet Set Radio Future, Project Gotham, Dead or Alive, etc.
Anyway, the XBOX
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:42
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Who can say that they actually like the shape of the XBOX controller, or of any of the 3rd party offerings. I don't enjoy Halo because
a) I don't enjoy shooting aliens with lasers, because it's not satisfying and/or they don't react properly or act intelligently.
b) The control method is terrible and awkward and left me struggling to circle strafe effectively, or aim on higher planes without thinking about it.
I think that you shouldn't have to think about controlling a game with a controller, just about controlling it. If you have to think:
"I have to press X to reload", rather than "I have to reload", then this could destroy your enjoyment of the game by constantly reminding you that your playing a game.

as an afterthought, could you please post any games which are not sequels and are actually interesting or enjoyable which are available for the XBOX, not including Halo or generic driving/fighting games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.