GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PHP vs ColdFusion 5.0"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/05/02 at 10:53
Regular
Right guys, I'm doing web design at uni, and we're given the extremely easy task of building dynamic websites with Dreamweaver ultradev4. This will let us use several scripting languages for doing our stuff, ColdFusion being the one of choice for me, but what I want to know is the advantages of learning PHP.

I don't actually know any HTML or cold fusion, I just let Dreamweaver do all the coding, much easier and faster.
Tue 14/05/02 at 16:07
Regular
We didn't ,ake anything for it, we just used it to look at how to access registers and learn a little bit of assembly language. The most complex thing we got it to do was draw 400 circles and try to get the program to run as quickly as possible so we could see the differences between using functions and macros etc. as I said, I'm only in first year still learning the ropes.
Mon 13/05/02 at 23:35
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
The host needs to support MySQL. Freeola currently do not support MySQL.
Mon 13/05/02 at 23:00
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
How do I put a MYSQL database (to be used with PHP) onto a remote computer e.g freeola???
Fri 10/05/02 at 17:46
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Sounds like a really intresting course, but yeah I did say that webdesign and game design look very similar, but without tables and with a lot more interactivity.
GBA programming, bah, I remeber you telling me about that :p
anyway, i'd go for PHP as said before, it's open source also you'll get more support for it, I think PHP is genrally more well known than ColdFusion.
Did you make any games for the GBA or did you keep to making the intro sequences?
Fri 10/05/02 at 17:39
Regular
Hmmm, cool. We've done a little Java phone programming already, quite nifty stuff, not as fun as the GBA programming we did though.

But if you guys say that game GUI's are similar then it looks like some sensible people are actually thinking ahead on my course, I am only at the end of my 1st year.
Fri 10/05/02 at 17:34
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Fogmaster wrote:
> Anyway, console programming why do you need Cold Fousion or PHP for
> that?
> Thought you were saying webdesigns a little side activity.

I'll jump in on this as I read Bonus's last post... Web GUI's don't differ that much to Game GUI's, the limitations are the same and the usable factor is still there. Using Web Design as a learning tool to create games makes a lot of sense to me as i can see the simularities and the common crossovers.

I've just started looking into iDTV games for things like SKY Open and the simularities to web building are really obvious... Create a game that you can stream in under 146k (they've managed it with worms!! 2MB - 146k). Same with java games designed for PDA/mPhome/iMode. Somy have started to use Flash for thier game GUI's and he crossover between web and games is thinning all the time... o for the day I create a site with a Quake GUI!
Fri 10/05/02 at 16:18
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I think all scripting basically is the same though, knowing how HTMl works can lead onto other things, I havn't seen much games scripting but I think it's similar in many ways, *remebers your first HTML* :D I was actually impressed with your first pages, nice colours...

Anyway, console programming why do you need Cold Fousion or PHP for that?
Thought you were saying webdesigns a little side activity.
Fri 10/05/02 at 16:10
Regular
Right, probably should have made that clearer, I'm doing Computer Games Tech at uni, web design is like a little side play module. It's based under a creativity name, and is actually used to get us used to designing things, the internet is just the tool they're using to get us monkeys to think about designing anything.

Next year we do serious stuff like console programming, level design, OpenGL etc.

I've just taken a personal interest in doing this because Dreamweaver is so damn easy.
Thu 09/05/02 at 20:39
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Whooo! wrote:
> Your doing a web design course at uni and they're not teaching you
> HTML???

I'd assume that a pre requisite for a webdesign uni course would already be an understanding of HTML? As for UltraDev4, Arghh!!! It makes a heel of a mess of you code.. used it for a while last year and soon binned it after trying to make a half decent site with it! Anyone remeber DrumBeat? This was worse!
Thu 09/05/02 at 19:20
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
PHP is fantastic for pretty much anything. I've never come acoss a job that PHP can't do, and I've seen a lot. I know someone who wrote offline graphics software in GTK with PHP! How bloody amazing is that??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.