GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams [Wii]"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams'.
Mon 11/02/08 at 17:01
"possibly impossible"
NiGHTS [Wii]

I was one of those people who loved NiGHTS on the Saturn. You know, the people who talk endlessly about how great it was while sporting a distant look in their eyes. So I had mixed reactions to the news that Sega was making a Sequel on the Wii.

For all those who passed the original by or were too young to remember it, NiGHTS was a 2D game with 3D aspirations where you flew around colourful worlds collecting orbs and engaging in Arial acrobatics to fly through hoops. The back story consisted of a tale about 2 kids who visited the land of dreams in their sleep and met NiGHTS, a good spirit and helped her to vanquish the evil Nightmarians.

It was special because it was so different, had a good scoring system that made you go back to each level and beat it and, well, it was so cute. Not to mention very playable.

The sequel takes this original game and attaches it to smaller sections involving running over 3D landscapes or solving simple puzzles. These new events don’t really do anything to make the game any better, in fact they often make it worse. Whether or not you’ve played the original before, when you’ve sampled the flying parts you just don’t want to go back to the awkward clumsy running sections.

The end of each level also sees a boss battle, some of which are lifted straight from the original game. The first, for instance, sees you trying to push a giant round jester up in the air to smash through the top of a pinball table (I never said this game made sense!).

As I’ve already mentioned, the flying sections are the best bit of the game. The control system takes some getting used to, you have a choice of using various controls, the Wii Remote on it’s own being the most uncontrollable option. But once you get the hang of it the flying can be fun. The 3D sections are pretty simple, no match for Mario or any of today’s 3D platform games, but at least they’re fairly short and they do add to the story. But they’re just not that pretty and you want them to be over so you can go flying again.

There’s an added bonus of a Chao style garden to raise baby creatures you collect in the main game, but it’s not really something I’ve found myself coming back to. The game can also be linked to the Weather Channel which will let you play with your local weather conditions in the background. Added to this there are 2 player battle and race games which are fun and an online high score chart to give you some bragging rights.

I really wanted to like this sequel, and in a way I did, but the platform sections don’t fit in and I would have liked a bit more flying. It’s not so much a bad game, just a bit of a disappointment compared to what could have been. Still worth playing, but here’s hoping a better sequel can get it right.

Score: 7/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 11/02/08 at 17:01
"possibly impossible"
NiGHTS [Wii]

I was one of those people who loved NiGHTS on the Saturn. You know, the people who talk endlessly about how great it was while sporting a distant look in their eyes. So I had mixed reactions to the news that Sega was making a Sequel on the Wii.

For all those who passed the original by or were too young to remember it, NiGHTS was a 2D game with 3D aspirations where you flew around colourful worlds collecting orbs and engaging in Arial acrobatics to fly through hoops. The back story consisted of a tale about 2 kids who visited the land of dreams in their sleep and met NiGHTS, a good spirit and helped her to vanquish the evil Nightmarians.

It was special because it was so different, had a good scoring system that made you go back to each level and beat it and, well, it was so cute. Not to mention very playable.

The sequel takes this original game and attaches it to smaller sections involving running over 3D landscapes or solving simple puzzles. These new events don’t really do anything to make the game any better, in fact they often make it worse. Whether or not you’ve played the original before, when you’ve sampled the flying parts you just don’t want to go back to the awkward clumsy running sections.

The end of each level also sees a boss battle, some of which are lifted straight from the original game. The first, for instance, sees you trying to push a giant round jester up in the air to smash through the top of a pinball table (I never said this game made sense!).

As I’ve already mentioned, the flying sections are the best bit of the game. The control system takes some getting used to, you have a choice of using various controls, the Wii Remote on it’s own being the most uncontrollable option. But once you get the hang of it the flying can be fun. The 3D sections are pretty simple, no match for Mario or any of today’s 3D platform games, but at least they’re fairly short and they do add to the story. But they’re just not that pretty and you want them to be over so you can go flying again.

There’s an added bonus of a Chao style garden to raise baby creatures you collect in the main game, but it’s not really something I’ve found myself coming back to. The game can also be linked to the Weather Channel which will let you play with your local weather conditions in the background. Added to this there are 2 player battle and race games which are fun and an online high score chart to give you some bragging rights.

I really wanted to like this sequel, and in a way I did, but the platform sections don’t fit in and I would have liked a bit more flying. It’s not so much a bad game, just a bit of a disappointment compared to what could have been. Still worth playing, but here’s hoping a better sequel can get it right.

Score: 7/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.