GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MYSQL - MS Access ODBC timeout"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/02/08 at 17:42
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Since Freeola upgraded to MYSQL V5.x my MS Access ODBC connection times out very quickly (approx 1 min). Is this an 'undocumented security feature' or is there a way to increase (or avoid) being disconnected so quickly. The connection is fine (for another minute) if I close and re-open the Access db. I can't find any setting in the MYSQLODBC Driver - I have tried V5.1 and V3.51.

I can't see anyone else having this problem but it definitely seemed to coincide with the upgrade.

Any assistance is appreciated.
Wed 11/09/13 at 22:14
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Thanks very much.
Wed 11/09/13 at 12:08
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
If you ever need a quick support response it's always best to send in a ticket.
I've upped the wait timeout to 60 seconds. It was adjusted down after some users were hogging connections for no good reason.
Wed 11/09/13 at 11:13
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Aaaaaalll by myseellf, don't wanna be.. aaaaaal by myseelf anymore....
Sat 07/09/13 at 09:10
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi,

I did a search on an ODBC issue I'm having and this thread came up :o))

I've just bought a nice shiny new laptop with windows 8. I've installed the MYSQL 5.2 ANSI driver (both 32 and 64 bit, though the version of mdb I'm using only likes the 32 bit one) and I'm getting exactly the same issue as I had below.

Not sure if the new laptop/install has coincided with any Freeola MySQL changes.. but thought I'd ask.

thanks

JTD
Tue 12/02/08 at 20:00
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
We won't make a habit of changing passwords, just a precaution. Glad it worked for you and thanks for letting me know.
Tue 12/02/08 at 18:12
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi Eccles,

This looks like it's done the trick. Although I haven't used it for a prolonged period yet it certainly hangs onto the connection longer than it did.

Many thanks, this has been driving me mad for weeks.

P.S. Could Freeola please refrain from changing MYSQL passwords at the drop of a hat - I nearly had a heart attack when my DB fell over for no apparent reason. ;o) - All sorted now though.

Thanks again for the fix.
Mon 11/02/08 at 14:53
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I have adjusted the wait timeout on the server. Could you retry the connection and let me know if it is ok now.
Mon 11/02/08 at 00:14
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
No problem. Must be a server setting then. Will try and get this sorted for you.
Sun 10/02/08 at 14:11
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Hi Eccles,

Many thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid adding the reg key hasn't made a difference. Adding the code to directly set the Db QueryTimeout isn't really an option as it is the table link that times out before I even get to having to set a db connection to perform a query.

My problem really stems from the ODBC connection timing out - I usually get the message [MySQL][ODBC 5.1 Driver][mysqld-5.0.45-log]MySQL server has gone away (#2006).

Thanks
Sat 09/02/08 at 23:47
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
You may like to try following the instructions provided by Microsoft here
otherwise the wait_timeout on the server might need adjusting. Let us know how you get on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.