GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendos Image"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/05/02 at 16:56
Regular
With the GC now out, and gamers with more choice than ever over which console to buy, or not to buy, it seems Nintendo are trying to re-invent their image a bit. All the new ads, games and style are all very well, but it has not convinced a lot of my friends. They still se the Playstation (1 & 2) as being a 'cool' console, as they have extreme sports games on them. Now that the GC does as well, it is not as desirable to these people - Why?

Most of the time, games like THPS3 on the PS2 are ported to the GC and improved, but this still does not convince people that Nintendo are for 'mature' gamers as well. The media does not help either. Numerous articles say a brief piece about 'Nintendo, traditionaly a childs company, are not really seen as competition to Microsoft and Sony' This kind of quote is both ridiculous and mis-leading. Not only are Nintendo competing, producing more mature titles, they also laid the groundwork for Sony and Microsofts entry to the console world - If Sega and Nintendo had not made successful consoles, would we have the PS2 and XBox today?

Back to my point of 'image'. I think Nintendos image problem comes from 'cartoony' (I disagree with that term completely) games - Mario, Zelda et al. Some of my friends say they are not good because of what they look like - Nintendo games have been bracketed into a group and will not get out of it very easily. You see a line up on the GC of Luigis Mansion, Pikmin, etc, next to THPS3, DMBMX2 and games like Burnout - 'Cool games' but this still does not seem to sway potential buyers. This is crazy. PS2 and XBox owners seem to be content with their (good yes) consoles, because Nintendo are not 'cool' - They are missing out on an excellent choice of games there, and it is a shame, all because they have an image of 5 years ago still in their heads.

Of course, this does not apply to everybody, only 'potential customers' really, and it is a great shame that they are missing out on a company that, that which, if it had never existed, would have meant a much poorer choice of games available today.
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:28
Regular
"gsybe you!"
thegerrid wrote:
> don't get me wrong, i have nothing against people who have only one
> type of console, it's just people who refuse to acknowledge that other
> consoles and games have their high points and that their console may
> not be the best at every thing
> sorry to anyone i offended
> sorry for my bad spelling too

Excactly my point
Wed 08/05/02 at 21:30
Regular
"bit of a brain"
don't get me wrong, i have nothing against people who have only one type of console, it's just people who refuse to acknowledge that other consoles and games have their high points and that their console may not be the best at every thing
sorry to anyone i offended
sorry for my bad spelling too
Wed 08/05/02 at 21:23
Regular
">:)"
thegerrid wrote:
> the problem with people who are loyal to one console is that they have
> been allied to it for so long that they are exposed to so much bad
> press about the competition that they think that only their console is
> the best. this is a shame as their small-mindedness is inhibiting
> their enjoyment. official magazines are part of the problem, as they
> are not allowed to even say another console had a decent game. i know
> people who stick to one console, and i don't even try to convert them
> (they have hated nintendo for so long for no reason other than they
> had a playstation), because they are just being stubborn and if they
> are that stubborn and single-minded, leave them alone. enjoy your
> gamecube and buy a dreamcast. it's great.

I have been subscirbed to NGC magazine (previously N64) for over 3 years now. Although they are unofficial, they have probably biased me towards nintendo. I wouldnt mind an objective view for once, by expert games who have played games on all the consoles and can really tell me what rules and what doesnt.

Dot get me wrong - I love my GC and GBA, but sometimes I just wonder what is going on in the rest of the world.
Wed 08/05/02 at 21:16
Regular
"bit of a brain"
the problem with people who are loyal to one console is that they have been allied to it for so long that they are exposed to so much bad press about the competition that they think that only their console is the best. this is a shame as their small-mindedness is inhibiting their enjoyment. official magazines are part of the problem, as they are not allowed to even say another console had a decent game. i know people who stick to one console, and i don't even try to convert them (they have hated nintendo for so long for no reason other than they had a playstation), because they are just being stubborn and if they are that stubborn and single-minded, leave them alone. enjoy your gamecube and buy a dreamcast. it's great.
Wed 08/05/02 at 21:14
Regular
I've kinda managed to convert one of me friends to GC but he hasn't had a chance to play on one yet. It's harder to persuade those X-Box nutters though...

Can't wait to show him Monkey Ball
Wed 08/05/02 at 21:08
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I love that - let them actually play and they love it!

I have a friend who is extremely allied to the PS2. Nothing wrong with that, it is a superb console, yet he vehmently hates nintendo - I am going to take my little cube roud to his house, and watch him squirm as he tries to conatain his amazement at Rogue Leader and Burnout!
Wed 08/05/02 at 21:05
Regular
"goodbyeeeeee......."
c.u.later wrote:
> NetNifty wrote:
> today i managed 2 convert my ps2 owning m8s to get a gamecube just
> by
> showing them a gamecube magazine. 1 of them also played crazy taxi
> on
> it in a shop too, which probably helped =)
>
> did you know........ the ps2 burnout engine was ported to the
> gamecube
> in 5 days! they used the rest of the time in production to improove
> the game =)
>
> I also managed to convert my mate which was swaying to the PS2 to buy
> a gamecube just by letting him play on SA2B for ten minutes.
> He is now saving up for a PS2 and is nearly there already, Just 145
> pounds to go.(for a package, of course)

I mean a Gamecube, I realised that when I pressed the button, but then it was too late.
Wed 08/05/02 at 21:03
Regular
"goodbyeeeeee......."
NetNifty wrote:
> today i managed 2 convert my ps2 owning m8s to get a gamecube just by
> showing them a gamecube magazine. 1 of them also played crazy taxi on
> it in a shop too, which probably helped =)
>
> did you know........ the ps2 burnout engine was ported to the gamecube
> in 5 days! they used the rest of the time in production to improove
> the game =)

I also managed to convert my mate which was swaying to the PS2 to buy a gamecube just by letting him play on SA2B for ten minutes.
He is now saving up for a PS2 and is nearly there already, Just 145 pounds to go.(for a package, of course)
Wed 08/05/02 at 18:37
today i managed 2 convert my ps2 owning m8s to get a gamecube just by showing them a gamecube magazine. 1 of them also played crazy taxi on it in a shop too, which probably helped =)

did you know........ the ps2 burnout engine was ported to the gamecube in 5 days! they used the rest of the time in production to improove the game =)
Wed 08/05/02 at 17:03
Regular
Exactly, all my friends are either X-Box or PS2 content, one of them keeps on remarking that Nintendo made a big mistake making cartridges and are now making another mistake with Minidisks. If I'm not mistaken, aren't minidisks easier to code for? And, they still don't have loading time (well, the odd 2 seconds don't count)

But seeing as GC is already selling better than X-Box, I think the tables should hopefully turn...:-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.