GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Xbox fandom has taken another knock"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/05/02 at 15:35
Regular
Some of you will know that I've been voicing my dissatisfaction with the Xbox recently, mostly because I felt let down by Microsoft's 'deal' after the price drop, and the lack of games available now, and on the horizon.

There were two games I did want. One was RalliSport Challenge, the other was the Buffy game.

Last week I bought issue 3 of the official Xbox mag, and last night I actually found time to read the mag and look at the disc.

I was not impressed.

RalliSport has the dreaded "middle wheel" syndrome that plagued WRC on the PS2 - the car rotates around its centre as if there's a castor stuck under there.

And Buffy... well, it looked very average, and there seems to be tons of slowdown.

I watched the videos - all pretty uninspiring stuff for me personally.

I tried the playable demos, too. Cel Damage is crud; Gun Valkyrie is average third-person shooty stuff; DoA3 I already had and got rid of; Oddworld I already have.

Looking through the mag, I saw absolutely nothing of interest. Most screenshots give the impression that games look identical to PS2 games, and some - most notably Deadly Skies - judging by the screenshots given, look like poor PS1 games!

As I've said before, I look down SR's launch schedule... and there's practically nothing that I will be buying. Those that are of interest either have already been on PS2 and I've played them, or will be out on the PS2 first in more or less identical form. So they may look a little prettier, but judging by the screenshots in the mag, I'm no longer so sure.

So the machine is newer, more powerful etc., but what does it matter if the software's not there? I desperately, desperately want the Xbox to offer something so that I haven't wasted the £400+ I spent on it, but so far it's looking bleak.

In two days time, it'll be three weeks since I last used the machine (not including watching the disc from the mag). I dived in and bought one because I wanted to play Halo, but I've become bored of that already. With PGR I've done most of the proper races, and can't be bothered with the challenges with cones etc. Munch's is probably the only thing I'll go back to.

I want something else for it, and there's nothing. So I am now seriously considering selling it, or trading it for a Gamecube. Having played a few games on a friends 'cube, I know I'd enjoy it - but because of my experience so far with the Xbox, I'm holding off a bit this time around.

And if anyone is planning to jump down my throat and accuse me of bias or being a Sony fanboy, then please don't bother. I'm telling it like it is, from my point of view. I'm not saying the Xbox is a bad machine, I'm just saying that the games aren't there, and don't appear to be on the horizon either.

What I want are reasons not to sell or exchange my Xbox - not pointless console wars responses.
Wed 08/05/02 at 15:35
"High polygon count"
Some of you will know that I've been voicing my dissatisfaction with the Xbox recently, mostly because I felt let down by Microsoft's 'deal' after the price drop, and the lack of games available now, and on the horizon.

There were two games I did want. One was RalliSport Challenge, the other was the Buffy game.

Last week I bought issue 3 of the official Xbox mag, and last night I actually found time to read the mag and look at the disc.

I was not impressed.

RalliSport has the dreaded "middle wheel" syndrome that plagued WRC on the PS2 - the car rotates around its centre as if there's a castor stuck under there.

And Buffy... well, it looked very average, and there seems to be tons of slowdown.

I watched the videos - all pretty uninspiring stuff for me personally.

I tried the playable demos, too. Cel Damage is crud; Gun Valkyrie is average third-person shooty stuff; DoA3 I already had and got rid of; Oddworld I already have.

Looking through the mag, I saw absolutely nothing of interest. Most screenshots give the impression that games look identical to PS2 games, and some - most notably Deadly Skies - judging by the screenshots given, look like poor PS1 games!

As I've said before, I look down SR's launch schedule... and there's practically nothing that I will be buying. Those that are of interest either have already been on PS2 and I've played them, or will be out on the PS2 first in more or less identical form. So they may look a little prettier, but judging by the screenshots in the mag, I'm no longer so sure.

So the machine is newer, more powerful etc., but what does it matter if the software's not there? I desperately, desperately want the Xbox to offer something so that I haven't wasted the £400+ I spent on it, but so far it's looking bleak.

In two days time, it'll be three weeks since I last used the machine (not including watching the disc from the mag). I dived in and bought one because I wanted to play Halo, but I've become bored of that already. With PGR I've done most of the proper races, and can't be bothered with the challenges with cones etc. Munch's is probably the only thing I'll go back to.

I want something else for it, and there's nothing. So I am now seriously considering selling it, or trading it for a Gamecube. Having played a few games on a friends 'cube, I know I'd enjoy it - but because of my experience so far with the Xbox, I'm holding off a bit this time around.

And if anyone is planning to jump down my throat and accuse me of bias or being a Sony fanboy, then please don't bother. I'm telling it like it is, from my point of view. I'm not saying the Xbox is a bad machine, I'm just saying that the games aren't there, and don't appear to be on the horizon either.

What I want are reasons not to sell or exchange my Xbox - not pointless console wars responses.
Wed 08/05/02 at 15:51
Regular
I agree about Buffy - but a cross-console/TV licensed game like this was always going to be average if you ask me.

The early days of consoles are always fairly uninspiring though aren't they?
I remember the early days when I owned a Dreamcast, and all I did was read previews of future games on the net. I'm sure it was similar with the PS2.

When you buy a new console it (should be) a five year investment - the best and most innovative games only appear after 18 months or so - just look at the PS2.

I'd suggest Jet Set Radio Future - but I must say that it is a love-it-or-loath-it kind of game. Personally I think it's the best game on the XBOX.

But if you did sell it now, you could always buy one back in a year or so, when it *should be* setting the standards.
Wed 08/05/02 at 16:23
Regular
"Touched!"
I can understand how annoyed you are with the price drop problem you had with your games, but on the subject of trading or selling then i would advise you not to. When the PS2 first launched i was very disappointed with the lack of games, and half of them looked no better than the average dreamcast game, but i decided to hang on and wait for a couple of months, and now there are much better games on the market. The Xbox has only been out for 2 months, and it would be harsh to say that its got no good titles, if you look at whats coming out then you will see some great looking games on the horizon, although you have said buffy looks like it has loads of slowdown doesn't mean it won't be ironed out before release, and who's to say its not an early version, i've seen the footage too and its hard to tell. no offence to you because they are you opinions, and you have your own taste in games, but if i were you i would hang onto it mate, because i believe the Xbox's time will come very soon.
Wed 08/05/02 at 16:43
I tkink these posts highlight my main problem with the Xbox...It seems the developers have opted for style over substance in trying to woo the casuals into buying into a new format I would NEVER buy a console at launch as it's pretty obvious it will be over-priced and woefully lacking in quality titles from the off. Nintendo tried to buck this trend...but look at the cr@p games!
Wed 08/05/02 at 17:10
Regular
"accidental superher"
I think the xbox is going through a slight drought of games at the mo8...but then most consoles do at some time or another...for example i haven't really seen anything that has really roused my interest for the ps2 for the past few months...but i am REALLY looking forward to FFX. There is the odd game here and there that i do want on the xbox such as gun valkyrie, chase (meant to be like stuntman for ps2), the hunter. I already have 8 games that i really like so that should keep me occupied...go with what your heart says wookie...if you think you will get a lot out of the gamecube (It does have potential and i am intrigued -but not desperate- by many of the games on it).
Wed 08/05/02 at 17:15
Regular
You make fair points Wookiee, and I think that everyone will agree it's a little pointless owning both an Xbox AND a PS2 due to the large crossover of titles between the two consoles.

Sony and Microsoft have admitted that they are both in the same market, with Nintendo offering something different.

At the end of the day, the only thing that Xbox will offer that is *really* different from PS2 is broadband gaming. I know that the PS2 is getting a modem add-on, but realistically, how many games will support it?

Hardly any games support the multi-tap for 4 player gaming, and that's been around since the console launch. I really can't see the modem/HDD taking off in a big way at all.

You have to ask yourself, is it worth keeping the PS2 and Xbox? To which the answer is probably "no". So which do you sell? As you've got a big collection of PS2 games, it would seem the best move to keep that. Unless broadband gaming is something you really, really want.

But 1 question for you: How did you feel 6 months after the PSX launch, or the PS2 launch, or any other console you bought at launch.
Wed 08/05/02 at 17:24
Regular
I'm not going to help you decide to keep it, because the games line-up for the Xbox is poor. There may be plenty of developers keeping quiet about what they're up to, but the system has very little support from the place where all the great games are made.........
Japan.

There's only one thing you can do.............wait until you see what Microsoft have up their sleeve for E3 (not too far off now), whilst remaining content with the PS2 games you currently own.

When you see that there's nothing at E3 for the Xbox, go to your local second hand shop, punt the damn thing, get a cube, or save the cash and get your PS2 a hard drive and ethernet adaptor when they appear.

I've nothing against the Xbox as a system, it's the console with the best graphics ever, but the games line-up sucks, as does the Intel PIII at it's heart ;).
Wed 08/05/02 at 17:28
"High polygon count"
Your Honour wrote:
> Hardly any games support the multi-tap for 4 player gaming, and that's
> been around since the console launch. I really can't see the modem/HDD
> taking off in a big way at all.

It may, it may not - all depends on what's on offer. Sony's plans are further along than Microsoft's, and they also encompass much more than 'just' gaming. So I won't rule it out. That said, I've had PC's for years now, and online gaming isn't someething that has ever really appealed to me anyway.

> But 1 question for you: How did you feel 6 months after the PSX
> launch, or the PS2 launch, or any other console you bought at launch.

6 months? Or 6 weeks? :-)

As far as consoles go, I've only ever owned the PS1 and PS2 (if you don't count the Game Gear and original Gameboy).

But with those two machines, I never at any point had any regrets about buying them, as they always kept me more than happy. I do have to say, sadly, that I am beginning to regret buying the Xbox.

I may just have found something worth keeping it for, though: "Conflict: Desert Storm" looks excellent - I've just watched a video clip of it.

However - once again - it's due out on PS2. And unless it is significantly better on Xbox, it may yet again be a case of "not worth it for one game".

I think you may well be right about the cross-over issues, though - maybe the machines are just too similar. What games I would want on Xbox are also on PS2, and PS2 also has a number of exclusives which I want more than Xbox exclusives.

I need to decide whether the few exclusives of interest to me justify keeping it. Then again, I have already paid out the money - and sod's law says the minute I get rid of it, I'll see things I want.

Ho hum.
Wed 08/05/02 at 17:31
Regular
Bonus makes a good point: Do nothing until after E3.

If nothing announced there catches your eye, then it's probably best to sell it and get a 'Cube. The titles for the 'Cibe are different enough from the PS2/Xbox style games to warrant owning both machines, in my view.
Wed 08/05/02 at 18:55
In my honest opinion I think the gc's release dates look more bleak but they are impressive now.

Before you say I am a hardcore gamer and not a "fan boy for anyone"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.