GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"COULD THE XBOX TROUNCE THE OPPOSITION?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/10/00 at 14:32
Regular
How could the first ‘console’ from the software giants Microsoft fare? Will it be any good? I hope so. Maybe this new machine can change the way we play games and add a whole new aspect to the way consoles are made.

If it has internet access then that'll be great, if it can replicate all the strong qualities of the PC and combine them with the ease of use of Games consoles then maybe we'll have a PC/Console Hybrid. If Microsoft get things right, and it seems as though they have so far, then we could see the future potential winner of the next generation of Gaming hardware.

What about the competition though? Will the PS2 shortages mean that the XBox could trample all over it? Could Sega's lack of financial capital for advertising mean the Dreamcast will be easy to beat? And will the 'solely for games' Game-Cube from Nintendo just be a simple obstacle for the Mighty XBox? With a lot of money for advertising, and lots of developer and publisher support, it could be the best new machine of recent times.

But there is one problem: the public's perception of Microsoft, Bill Gates, and the company image overall. I think that Sony have won a lot of fans with the success of Playstation (over 70million consoles sold in 5 years), and Sega have got a large dedicated user base which is now over 5.5 million. And, what about the Nintendo faithful? I doubt if they'll be won over easily.

Oh no, Microsoft will have to impress - big time. Otherwise we could see the quickest failure and demise of a company ever. If Microsoft really too much on capturing console gamers then they will have an uphill struggle on their hands, but if they aim more directly at PC owners, then we could see a potential Apple Mac rival and beater.

The main ingredients for success are: Great Games - this console will have to have a huge amount of quality ORIGINAL titles, because if people see the same old Fifa and RPG clones and the bog standard Ridge Racer games then Microsoft will lose face very quickly indeed. As it is, Microsoft hasn’t got the best reputation at the moment, especially since the company was forced to break into two due to its 'monopolising' nature. With over 733Mhz of processing power (over double that of the PS2) they surely will get a lot of great looking games, hopefully.

Microsoft will also need to advertise. A LOT. And they need to make it clear what product they're advertising by not making their adds too abstract - something that Sega didn't do too well (remember those Euro 2000 adverts about Online gaming? No? Exactly.) And so if they produce a lot of adverts and promote the XBox well, then they may stand a chance.

The final ingredient is Timing. When will they console launch? Will it be too early? Or, perhaps it’ll arrive too late? Could the market be in the hands of Sony, Nintendo and Sega in the mean time? Well, if they want to bring their console out after the game Cube, then they can forget it. The XBox really needs to be released in time for next Christmas, preferably sooner.

Even if the console doesn't do well, it'll be a very interesting time for the games industry.
Mon 23/10/00 at 14:32
How could the first ‘console’ from the software giants Microsoft fare? Will it be any good? I hope so. Maybe this new machine can change the way we play games and add a whole new aspect to the way consoles are made.

If it has internet access then that'll be great, if it can replicate all the strong qualities of the PC and combine them with the ease of use of Games consoles then maybe we'll have a PC/Console Hybrid. If Microsoft get things right, and it seems as though they have so far, then we could see the future potential winner of the next generation of Gaming hardware.

What about the competition though? Will the PS2 shortages mean that the XBox could trample all over it? Could Sega's lack of financial capital for advertising mean the Dreamcast will be easy to beat? And will the 'solely for games' Game-Cube from Nintendo just be a simple obstacle for the Mighty XBox? With a lot of money for advertising, and lots of developer and publisher support, it could be the best new machine of recent times.

But there is one problem: the public's perception of Microsoft, Bill Gates, and the company image overall. I think that Sony have won a lot of fans with the success of Playstation (over 70million consoles sold in 5 years), and Sega have got a large dedicated user base which is now over 5.5 million. And, what about the Nintendo faithful? I doubt if they'll be won over easily.

Oh no, Microsoft will have to impress - big time. Otherwise we could see the quickest failure and demise of a company ever. If Microsoft really too much on capturing console gamers then they will have an uphill struggle on their hands, but if they aim more directly at PC owners, then we could see a potential Apple Mac rival and beater.

The main ingredients for success are: Great Games - this console will have to have a huge amount of quality ORIGINAL titles, because if people see the same old Fifa and RPG clones and the bog standard Ridge Racer games then Microsoft will lose face very quickly indeed. As it is, Microsoft hasn’t got the best reputation at the moment, especially since the company was forced to break into two due to its 'monopolising' nature. With over 733Mhz of processing power (over double that of the PS2) they surely will get a lot of great looking games, hopefully.

Microsoft will also need to advertise. A LOT. And they need to make it clear what product they're advertising by not making their adds too abstract - something that Sega didn't do too well (remember those Euro 2000 adverts about Online gaming? No? Exactly.) And so if they produce a lot of adverts and promote the XBox well, then they may stand a chance.

The final ingredient is Timing. When will they console launch? Will it be too early? Or, perhaps it’ll arrive too late? Could the market be in the hands of Sony, Nintendo and Sega in the mean time? Well, if they want to bring their console out after the game Cube, then they can forget it. The XBox really needs to be released in time for next Christmas, preferably sooner.

Even if the console doesn't do well, it'll be a very interesting time for the games industry.
Mon 23/10/00 at 15:19
I don't think it will fail, but it will have its work cut out.

Even if it did fail, I don't think it will cause the demise of Microsoft.

Also, by the time it's out, there should be no PS2 shortages.
Mon 23/10/00 at 21:37
Good.
Now - why didn't this win gameaday!?
Mon 23/10/00 at 22:15
Regular
The winner was picked eariler!
Mon 23/10/00 at 23:37
What, B4 2;32 pm?!!!
WhAT r they like?
Mon 23/10/00 at 23:42
Regular
No 3 o'clock onwards after Matty's post.
Tue 24/10/00 at 10:10
I feel I must defend myself I have been posting on here for about a month and have posted on many topics. I did not just win by a one of post!!
Wed 25/10/00 at 01:13
Come on people - talk about the XBOX and the discussions I raiseD?!
Wed 25/10/00 at 03:46
Regular
Ah, how fickle the gaming market is.
If the ps2 flops like the quiff of a dodgy elvis impersonater, as we all seem to think it will, there will be a big space between the limited current market and the next big thing, gamecube. So, if the gap is there, and Microsoft can fill the gap, everything seems set for Bill Gates to extend his tyranical grip over our insignificant lives, and bring forward judgement day. We will all pay for our crimes against microsoft. He will strip us of our hotmail accounts and make us buy gamecubes.
Wed 25/10/00 at 09:57
Ok, sure, but wouldn't he make us buy Xbox rather than Game Cube?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.